Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya folks
I have searched and not found a definitive answer to this question.
Does the 2012 6 speed manual bolt up to the 1st Gen cars.
Peter

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
No clue, never heard of anyone trying that swap, nor would I do it because it would be a waste of time. I have a 6 speed 2013 and the gear ratio sucks. If I was so inclined I would swap this one backwards to a 5 speed. The only thing you gain is a little taller gear for interstate cruising, but if there's any hills at all you constantly shift out of 6 anyway.

6sp ratio: 4.21, 2.63, 1.80, 1.31, 1, .77
5sp ratio: 3.61, 1.96, 1.29, .97, .84

See how much closer they are in the 5 speed? That's a much more enjoyable driving experience. The 1-2 shift really sucks on the 6. The ratio 1-2 sucks on the 5 too but you can wind it higher than the 6.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It looks like they changed the 6 speed manual gear ratios a little on the newer ones. This is for the 2019 I have.

My issue is with the clutch. It drives me insane. I’ve driven manual most of my life but I feel like a novice sometimes driving this car with jerky shifts. It almost feels like the bite point is always a little different.

It’s so annoying that I’m going to look at another 2019 (same color, silver) with less miles on it (11k) tomorrow that’s the base automatic. If they offer me enough for my car, I might buy it.

Otherwise maybe I’ll try that clutch delay valve delete I’ve read about. I think that might be causing some of my issues, I’m not sure. It also judders on take off for the first few 1st gear starts every morning on a cold engine. Maybe the previous owner abused the clutch, but the dealer said it could be condensation on the flywheel, which it may be because when it warms up a few mins later, it’s usually fine. I just don’t remember any other car I’ve owned in the past doing that. It’s been a while (12 years since I owned a manual) so maybe I just don’t remember.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry for hijacking your original question in my rant in the post above.

In 2012, Kia also started using different engines in the Souls (at least in the US, I don’t know about other countries), but these two transmissions look like the bolt holes are in the same spots.

But I do not know if it will work.

This is from a 1.6L 2010-11 5 speed:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Asphalt Font

And this is from a 2012-13 1.6L 6 speed:

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Font Auto part Gas

If your car has a shift up light, like my 2019, it might not know about a new 6th gear, so the computer side might be confused.

Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep would like the taller gear ratio on highway for fuel economy as I live in a flat landscape and wont be in and out of 6th.
Those bellhousings are exactly same as each other I used ruler to measure.
I dont think you would need to change the gear shifter in car - as 6th is straight down
Now to find a 6 speed as my clutch release bearing is playing up and the box has to come out anywayze.
Peter

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yep would like the taller gear ratio on highway for fuel economy as I live in a flat landscape and wont be in and out of 6th.
I dont think you would need to change the gear shifter in car - as 6th is straight down
Now to find a 6 speed as my clutch release bearing is playing up and the box has to come out anywayze.
Peter
Let us know how it works out

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Peter
I predict you will hate it compared to what you have. The mileage gain is barely noticeable from 5-6. Sometimes I will forget I'm in 5 and drive most of my 50 mile commute in it and at worst it might shave 1-2mpg off, certainly nowhere near the cost of another transmission.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It looks like they changed the 6 speed manual gear ratios a little on the newer ones. This is for the 2019 I have.

My issue is with the clutch. It drives me insane. I’ve driven manual most of my life but I feel like a novice sometimes driving this car with jerky shifts. It almost feels like the bite point is always a little different.

It’s so annoying that I’m going to look at another 2019 (same color, silver) with less miles on it (11k) tomorrow that’s the base automatic. If they offer me enough for my car, I might buy it.

Otherwise maybe I’ll try that clutch delay valve delete I’ve read about. I think that might be causing some of my issues, I’m not sure. It also judders on take off for the first few 1st gear starts every morning on a cold engine. Maybe the previous owner abused the clutch, but the dealer said it could be condensation on the flywheel, which it may be because when it warms up a few mins later, it’s usually fine. I just don’t remember any other car I’ve owned in the past doing that. It’s been a while (12 years since I owned a manual) so maybe I just don’t remember.

View attachment 138079
Yeah, definitely changed from 12-13 anyway. That looks almost identical to the early 5speed ratio. 3-6 shifting must be a dream there and the 1-3 still sucks but not as bad as my car.

Here's the ratio in my 95 Miata: 1st - 3.136 2nd - 1.888 3rd - 1.330 4th - 1.000 5th - 0.814 . Awesome ratio and I still get 35mpg in the mountains even with the higher overall ratio because of the rear gearing.

As for the shifting, yes you are right. It's that stupid clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder. The clutch doesn't engage where you expect it to, if you've driven manuals all your life like I have. I've gotten used to it now after 180k miles, and to their credit the clutch disc still grabs fine even with this built-in slippage, but in hindsight I would have pulled this valve years ago.

You know what the Soul gear ratio reminds me of? Remember having a 5 speed or a 10 speed bike when you were a kid, and the gear trolley would get screwed up and skip a gear? You'd be pedaling and gaining some speed in 1 or 2, hit the thumb shifter and it jumps the sprocket all the way to 5 and suddenly you're lugging and sucking wind trying to move that big gear.

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
692 Posts
As for the shifting, yes you are right. It's that stupid clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder. The clutch doesn't engage where you expect it to, if you've driven manuals all your life like I have. I've gotten used to it now after 180k miles, and to their credit the clutch disc still grabs fine even with this built-in slippage, but in hindsight I would have pulled this valve years ago.
Same here.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,988 Posts
I wonder how the system would know since the valve is just a mechanical spring in the body of the slave cylinder?
Good question jd. I'm not sure but I remember the member who pioneered this fix said the only downside was it disables cruise control. Like you, I've just adapted to that PITA delay between 1 & 2. There's so much torque hangover after 1st I give a quick count to 3 before engaging 2nd.

Not a huge problem on flat ground, but the momentum drop on a hill is a little embarrassing :mad:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Good question jd. I'm not sure but I remember the member who pioneered this fix said the only downside was it disables cruise control. Like you, I've just adapted to that PITA delay between 1 & 2. There's so much torque hangover after 1st I give a quick count to 3 before engaging 2nd.

Not a huge problem on flat ground, but the momentum drop on a hill is a little embarrassing :mad:
Funny now that you said that I do seem to remember that. I'm going to have to search out those posts and read them again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The thing some people unplugged that disabled cruise control I think was the clutch safety switch that’s attached at the clutch pedal inside the car. I remember reading that thread and the car wouldn’t start if it was unplugged either, but people had less rev hang or something with it unplugged which made for a more enjoyable experience. I don’t find the rev hang to be that bad on this car so I didn’t bother trying that.

The clutch delay valve is a little one way spring valve inside the slave cylinder that restricts the flow of the fluid and has no electronics connected to it, so I don’t think it would affect cruise control. That reminds me, I still have to add cruise to mine. I have all the parts, just being lazy 😵‍💫

Reactions: jdmartin
1 - 14 of 14 Posts