Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just closed the deal on a denim edition Soul today. Just barely made the cash for clunkers deadline. Picking it up from the dealership on Sunday, and I couldn't be more excited.

The next challenge, learning how to properly drive a 5 speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats!

Did the CARS program myself. Traded in a 93 Chevy K1500 ext cab with 294,300 miles on it.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new Soul!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congrats, Welcome to the SOUL nation... "Home of SOUL-idarity"

The 5 speed manual transmission and clutch set up are very forgiving...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'd get a junker right now and practice shifting all day Saturday.

That way you won't strip your gears on the new car when you get it.

Biggest challenge is accelerating on a hill going up. When I was learning how to shift, the car I was using always stalled and I heard noises from the engine that I never want to hear again. Flat payment is easy don't sweat it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, everyone was surprised at what high milage my blazer had, but ocomg takes the cake. Not a chance we'd ever get $4500 for either of those vehicles otherwise.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of anyone I know who has a shitbox 5 speed that I could practice on for a day. So far I'm not coming up with anything. I already have plans to have Pops drive it off the lot on Sunday. Embarassing, but not nearly as much as wrecking a new car the same day you get it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wow, everyone was surprised at what high milage my blazer had, but ocomg takes the cake. Not a chance we'd ever get $4500 for either of those vehicles otherwise.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of anyone I know who has a shitbox 5 speed that I could practice on for a day. So far I'm not coming up with anything. I already have plans to have Pops drive it off the lot on Sunday. Embarassing, but not nearly as much as wrecking a new car the same day you get it.
my 92 olds silhouette had 199,500 miles on it when I traded it in for cash for clunkers.. but the previous owner disconnected the speedometer for a good 50k miles he said so miles wouldn't rack up on it. Yeah it was illegal but I didn't care. engine was perfect too. it burned a little oil but that was it.

and sticks are easy to drive. on the highway it's just like an automatic. only have to worry about stop and go traffic on your way home. don't let your dad have all the fun!!

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I learned to drive stick on a really old Chevy truck with the "three on the tree". It's not hard to drive stick just be patient. Take your time. Don't be in a hurry. Hrmm...are you seeing a theme there? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dad's got a stick shift 'Vette, somehow I don't think my Soul will get his pulse rate up too high. Who knows though, maybe he'll take on a new liking to small 4 cyl Korean vehicles.

The company that I work for has a big old 5 speed International service truck. I may have to do a bit of running around in that tomorrow in preparation for the big day.

I appreciate all the encouragement thus far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the room that it has on the inside, and all the safety and other features, there really is nothing out there, foreign or domestic, that can compare. I test drove quite a few vehicles before settling on my Soul. For the money, nothing else could compare.

Hardest thing about a stick is trying to start from an incline. 2nd hardest is starting the thing without killing it. I'm sure given a week in your new Soul, you'll be driving that thing like a pro. I would;ve got a manual, but wife wanted an automatic.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Stick or DIE!!!

beest,
what ocomg said really is the most important and dangerous thing to learn... especially without panicing. Yes, you should be concerned about starting on an incline. make sure your dad gives you some tips and tricks for this, the most important maneuver you'll ever learn. Once you master this, everything else about a stick is cake. Plus, sticks are more fun! When you get a wild hair, you can do a brake stand burnout with the ebrake! Yeah Buddy! Front wheel drive excels this way:eek:;););)

or better yet, tray drifting... LOL!!!

Watch this one... LMAO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgePtgZlUhE&feature=related

OH, BTW, Welcome to Hamster Nation!

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Wildebeest sounds like a dutch name, is this the case?
If it is the case than a wish you a very special welkom to the forums
from out of Holland. If it is not I wish you the same.
Further the driving is something you have to learn by doing.
But you have the passion to do it.
That's what I read when I look what you send to us.
Lots of fun with your Soul and we like pictures and stories about it.

Regards,

Crazy Dutchman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still can't get over all the responses I've received from my first post. Thanks for making me feel so welcome already!

I'm hell bent on practicing a bit today. I've already known about the hill acceleration challenge, so I'm prepared to tackle it head on. By this time next week, I hope to return as a confident stick shift connoisseur.

RelenaRelena, I'm not Dutch, but I've heard people on other forums I'm a member of mention the same thing. The username came to me years back when some friends and I were deciding what our rap names would be (something that often takes place when a bunch of 16 year old white suburban kids hang out). After much deliberation, I decided to play with my real name, Will turned into Will-da-beast which morphed into Wildebeest. Wildebeest is also another name for the African gnu.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I also used CFC and traded in a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo that had about 175,000 miles on it... And I thought that was a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Welcome from LI New York!
You will pick up driving a 5 speed in no time. The soul has "MY FIRST CLUTCH" made by fisher price. You will never want to drive a automatic again. :D
GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
the clutch is VERY forgiving so no worries. My wife and I havent had much problem getting used to a 5 speed again after 6 or 7 years of driving autos. Personally i think it make the car that much more fun to drive. your gonna love it. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts