Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have traveled approximately 500 miles on 4 occasions over the last couple of months. Set on say 73, cools fine, then quits cooling.
This past weekend, we were approximately 6 hours into our trip, made 3 stops, and it was blowing, but stopped cooling.
We shut it off, waiting 10 minutes, turned back on, and it cooled again.
Day 2, quit within 1 hour of a 2 hour trip segment. Stayed off for quite a while.
Today, stopped after about 7 hours of driving.

What is happening? Had it to KIA dealer, no detectable issue. Couldn't replicate.
Had it to another service provider, same basic response.

Info and guidance is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm not clear, it stops blowing at all each time or it stops blowing cold air, or both can happen. If stops blowing cold air has it reached the desired temperature? Did you lower the temperature to 70 or something and see what happens?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not clear, it stops blowing at all each time or it stops blowing cold air, or both can happen. If stops blowing cold air has it reached the desired temperature? Did you lower the temperature to 70 or something and see what happens?
Yes if on auto it will reach temp. but when "we get" hot, it doesn't cycle back on. If we lower from say 72 to 68, it doesn't cycle back on. Just keeps blowing warm air.
It was nearly 100 where we were traveling, so it should have be relatively quick to respond.
Another example, we were driving for nearly 5 hours, stopped twice, turned car off etc. as we approached the 6th hour, it seemed to say, your cool enough, I off.
and it never would re-start and cool, Next day, started up, did not immediately start cooling, finally started.

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
have you checked your cabin filter, also make sure the sensor on the top of the dash is clean also the grill on front of the control is not plugged.

Please fill out your signature line with your location and full details of your Soul (this will show up each time you post and saves you having to keep repeating it). I presume it has auto climate control.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Do you have Recirc on during usage? AC works because fresh air is circulated over the compressor & sends cool air into the cabin. If recirculation is on, at some point you end up sending warm (hot) cabin air in circles back into the cab.

As an experiment, try cracking a back window a half inch or so & see if that moves any refrigerated air quicker through the system.

All the best to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you checked your cabin filter, also make sure the sensor on the top of the dash is clean also the grill on front of the control is not plugged.

Please fill out your signature line with your location and full details of your Soul (this will show up each time you post and saves you having to keep repeating it). I presume it has auto climate control.
NO sir. but will communicate that to the service shop.

Yes, it doesn't cool on either setting right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have Recirc on during usage? AC works because fresh air is circulated over the compressor & sends cool air into the cabin. If recirculation is on, at some point you end up sending warm (hot) cabin air in circles back into the cab.

As an experiment, try cracking a back window a half inch or so & see if that moves any refrigerated air quicker through the system.

All the best to you.
Yes we have done all of that. every combination, even tried all windows down with ac on low just to try and purge the system.

·
Registered
256 Posts
how do I turn on signature line?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Have you checked your engine coolant level with the engine off and cold?
The ecm will cook you first if it has a choice.
Next time it starts misbehaving make a mental note of the coolant gauge.
DUH to myself. I should have mentioned that also. Good advice they can check the overflow container also.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Have you checked your engine coolant level with the engine off and cold?
The ecm will cook you first if it has a choice.
Next time it starts misbehaving make a mental note of the coolant gauge.
Great point manfreity! My friend experienced that this summer in her Mercury Sable. The AC was only blowing warm/hot air. She went through all the AC checking hassles and it turned out she was out of coolant. Something she never checks.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts