Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at some katana k150 18" wheels and tires for our 2012 soul+

Currently it has 16" stockers on it.

I'm curious how much your ride quality and road noise changed going from 16" to 18".

I know we will lose some sidewall flex and ride quality, but no idea how much, and don't want to take a big hit in comfort for twenty seconds of visual pleasure when walking up to the car.

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I had a 2016 SX and now have a 2020 GT line LTD. On both cars I went down to a 17". There was noticeable difference in ride comfort. The 18" were too harsh. I can see 18" with low profile tires on a sports car or other high performance cars, but not on an everyday run of the mill car.

Pat.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Handling will be better. Ride and comfort you are used to will be gone. Find some spiffy 16's.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts
I have a 2013+ with 16" tires/wheels and it rides like a log wagon compared to my 2018 1 million edition with 18" tires/wheels. I think it is mostly due to upgraded suspension of the Gen 2 over the Gen 1.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kia Souls do not take the bumps well. Had I went with my wife - instead of letting her pick out what vehicle she wanted by herself - then test-drove the dealership lot Kia Soul with her sitting in the passenger side front seat, I might have been successful in getting her to buy another vehicle.

These things do not absorb bumps ... not even respectfully..... and I have one of the top models in the X-Line, fully loaded with all the goodies that were available.

There's a real old saying....''We get what we pay for it'. I regret not mentioning to her that she could have spent another five grand on something else with a better ride.....ie.... 28k instead of 23k and not get something that ride's like a 15 year-old box work truck.

No, ours drives the same as others on the lot. I already had that checked out. If someone doesn't mind a bumpy ride, the 2020 / 2021 Kia Souls 2.0 MPI are a great buy. Outside of the ride, I have no complaints.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, I have the 2020 EX with the 17 inch tires. I inflate all my tires to 36 psi. There is some extensive highway construction/reconfiguring going on the I must endure any time I go out. The road is terrible with temporary patches, ruts and potholes from the construction, I’ll have at least another 1 1/2 year of it. My other car is a 2012 Subaru Impreza which has an independent rear suspension and also 36 psi per tire. I judge the ride in both cars to be pretty much the same. Actually I like the Soul’s ride a little better.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 2016 SX and now have a 2020 GT line LTD. On both cars I went down to a 17". There was noticeable difference in ride comfort. The 18" were too harsh. I can see 18' with low profile tires on a sports car or other high performance cars, but not on an everyday run of the mill car.

Pat.
thank you very much for your real world experience going from 18" to 17" ... that actually helped a lot :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kia Souls do not take the bumps well.
These things do not absorb bumps ... not even respectfully.....
There's a real old saying....''We get what we pay for
.... ride's like a 15 year-old box work truck.
If someone doesn't mind a bumpy ride...
I think your assessment is accurate and well stated. When I said mine bounced, skipped and slid in turns someone said I was trolling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts