Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Soul Base with no power seats yet, I have a 30a fuse in the bottom right, 3rd from the bottom position marked P/Seat Pass. I dont have power seats so what is this used for? The P/Seat Drv doesnt have a fuse or contacts at all. This 30 amp circuit for the P/Seat Pass is a constant 12v source and im thinking of putting an add a tap to power my ciggerate lighter plugs when the key is off. My plan is to use two add a taps. Power from the P/Seat Pass circuit into the Power Outlet fuse (top left, 1st fuse from the top). So power comes from the P/Seat Pass and is sent to the Power Outlet. If I dont put a fuse on the Power Outlet end, it will not be back feeding any power. Any ideas why this wouldnt work? Also, What is the red wire on the bottom right that is in between the white and blue wire. It also supplies 12v when the key is off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 SOUL " ! " Owned since New
2,049 Posts
Please provide a Pic of the assembly plugged in...

Note: Talk more about all this Back-feeding... Whats up with that... I never had to do but just a Tap...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is a picture installed. It works great and no splicing factory wires.
So I just did mine per your instructions...

So far, so good...

I used the power door lock fuse instead though sincd I didnt have the power seat fuse.

Ironically, only one of the front outlets [the right side one] is constant, the left side and rear one are still ignition switched, but I'm okay with that... is that how yours worked out as well?

I'm going to leave my charger plugged in over night to see if there is a battery drain.. there's just a light on the charger, nothing plugged in.

Hope this works long-term without issue.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good!! I leave my charger plugged in all the time and havent had any problems.

I dont have a rear outlet and only use the one on the left so I dont know if both of my outlets are linked.

The nice thing about this is, it is easily removes if it needs to go on for factory service. This way they can blame problems on spliced wires.

Thanks for posting your experience!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Add-a-tap

OK, so I bought the Littelfuse version, Add-a-Circuit (Littelfuse part number FHLM0200ZPA), but it does not seem to fit. It is slightly too wide (long?) to clear the ears that stick up around the Kia fuse seat.

Am I doing something wrong here? Did others have to modify the add-a-tap to fit between the ears on the Kia fuse holders? Am i using the wrong brand?

Here's a picture showing that the blades are too wide, and do not extend far enough to get past the fuse box ears, plus a close up of the fuse box ears.

TIA,

Beuford

·
Registered
2014 SOUL " ! " Owned since New
2,049 Posts
OK, so I bought the Littelfuse version, Add-a-Circuit (Littelfuse part number FHLM0200ZPA), but it does not seem to fit. It is slightly too wide (long?) to clear the ears that stick up around the Kia fuse seat.

Am I doing something wrong here? Did others have to modify the add-a-tap to fit between the ears on the Kia fuse holders? Am i using the wrong brand?

Here's a picture showing that the blades are too wide, and do not extend far enough to get past the fuse box ears, plus a close up of the fuse box ears.

TIA,

Beuford

Try flipping it around and plugging it in... Mine was indexed to go in only one way...?
Note: I wanted my power red to go the otherway... So a little trimming work with my razor knife to remove the index, and I went right in... I guess they just wanted the numbers on the fuses to be readable side up...I Guess...???

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
After the initial posting of this subject, several years ago, I bought one of those add a tap thingys which of course didn't fit.

So I went back to my first thought....two 10Ga wires from the battery, through the firewall and to the 12v outlet.
Oh yes, with an IN-Line fuse in the POS wire, close to the battery.

Cheers !

:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An excellent solution but most people dont want to go through all this trouble and cut holes in the firewall. This theead was created for people who want a simple non destructive solution

After the initial posting of this subject, several years ago, I bought one of those add a tap thingys which of course didn't fit.

So I went back to my first thought....two 10Ga wires from the battery, through the firewall and to the 12v outlet.
Oh yes, with an IN-Line fuse in the POS wire, close to the battery.

Cheers !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It shouldn't be indexed. It is a little snug. A little wiggling as i plugges it in was all that was needed for me. It is possible that a little trimming may be necessary though. But as far as flipping it around, you want to use the orientation in the above pictures to ensure the proper direction of electricity or you will bypass the fuse all together.

TIA,

Beuford

Try flipping it around and plugging it in... Mine was indexed to go in only one way...?
Note: I wanted my power red to go the otherway... So a little trimming work with my razor knife to remove the index, and I went right in... I guess they just wanted the numbers on the fuses to be readable side up...I Guess...???

·
Registered
25 Posts
But as far as flipping it around, you want to use the orientation in the above pictures to ensure the proper direction of electricity or you will bypass the fuse all together.
It will never bypass all fusing. Installed one way your new load is double-fused (power flows through the first fuse, then through the second fuse, then out to your new load), otherwise it is single-fused (power flows through only the second fuse on its way to your new load).

I prefer the former, since it limits the total fuse connector current (the "hot" source at this fuse box connector) to that of the original fuse. Otherwise, it would allow a maximum current equal to the sum of both fuses.

Beuford

·
Registered
863 Posts
My Ford/Mercury cars have the outlets always powered and the Hyundai/Kia have them turning OFF. Which is great if you are lazy like me and leave the charger plugged in permanently (a good brand one, not a junk).
So on my daily driver (Mercury Sable) I have did a similar mod (but with tapping, not playing with fuses) to make one outlet permanent on and left the second outlet to be switched with the engine! Now I just have to remember which one is which!
Neah, the charger's little light tells me that :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts