Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
1.6L Turbo gas mileage is much better than the 2.0L. I drove my 2014 for 5 years and the mileage was not the best (my Mazdaspeed 3 was better). This new Turbo Soul is noticeably better, even thought i don't drive it lightly. Hopefully Gen 3 will improve the mileage (slight chance that they tuned it better and the Souless CVT helps).
The Turbo is making me think Kia can make cars that are efficient (wife's Sportage is a gas guzzler).
Good luck on keeping that turbo working after the 5 years! Hope you will save enough at the pump to get a new one...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I always buy as much engine as possible so if the turbo has the most hp that will be my choice. Too bad they don't use the 6spd and 2.0T from that other kia in it, I had a rental one and it was quick.
Traded a 16 Optima SXL with the 2.0T for a 20 Soul GT 1.6T with the dct. The Soul is quicker in every aspect. The optima would top out higher, but that's it. The soul drives better and stops better, and I'm getting about 10mpg higher than the optima with the same driving conditions. So don't assume the 2.0 with the 6 speed is a better drive if you are looking for some fun.
That being said, the optima was more comfortable for long drives and a bit quieter.

As far as the turbo going in 5 years, sweet, the powertrain is covered for 5 years. If I even have the car in 5 years. And if I do, honestly, there will already be a bigger turbo in it's place ;)

·
Registered
14,668 Posts
Traded a 16 Optima SXL with the 2.0T for a 20 Soul GT 1.6T with the dct. The Soul is quicker in every aspect. The optima would top out higher, but that's it. The soul drives better and stops better, and I'm getting about 10mpg higher than the optima with the same driving conditions. So don't assume the 2.0 with the 6 speed is a better drive if you are looking for some fun.
That being said, the optima was more comfortable for long drives and a bit quieter.

As far as the turbo going in 5 years, sweet, the powertrain is covered for 5 years. If I even have the car in 5 years. And if I do, honestly, there will already be a bigger turbo in it's place ;)
actually it's 10 yrs or 100k miles :joyous:

·
Registered
14,668 Posts
I was told by my dealership the turbo is not covered under the 10yr 100K mile warranty....Only internal powertrain parts.....Anyone else been told this by their dealership?
check your warranty manual the details will be there as to what is covered and what is not?

I don't have a copy of the 2020 US warranty manual but have the 2019 version and it states coverage for:
In the engine:
cylinder block, cylinder head and all internal parts, timing gear, seals and gaskets, valve cover, flywheel, oil pump, water pump and turbo charger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
check your warranty manual the details will be there as to what is covered and what is not?

I don't have a copy of the 2020 US warranty manual but have the 2019 version and it states coverage for:
In the engine:
cylinder block, cylinder head and all internal parts, timing gear, seals and gaskets, valve cover, flywheel, oil pump, water pump and turbo charger.
Thank you for this information.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good luck on keeping that turbo working after the 5 years! Hope you will save enough at the pump to get a new one...
I will probably get rid of it in 5 years when the warranty runs out, so no issues from me (last Soul was 5 years also). I am enjoying the extra power, otherwise I think I would have got bored and replaced the 2014 Soul with something else. Keeping the 2014 an extra few years was not going to work out, as the trade in value was dropping exponentially, and the repairs from the mileage were starting to kick in (shocks/suspension). Extra fuel economy on the turbo is just a plus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I test drove a couple souls and he's kinda right, the 1.6L turbo is OK but it's not the 2.0L turbo. The oddball shape is good for me though because a lot of my customers are older and they can't get in and out of lower cars/stuff themselves in subcompacts like a prius very well....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Turbo is great, the only lacking part is the DCT. Wife's on her 2nd turbo Sportage (wrote off 1st) and that motor is a beast (in power and fuel consumption, but fuel in a bad way). 1.6 actually has good performance, but the transmission seems to lag and the sport mode has it's own drawbacks. Once you get used to the Soul Turbo, it's actually not bad to drive and the fuel economy is better than the 2.0 that I had on my 2014. When you floor it, after the random transmission lag it goes pretty good. The 2.0L seems to always want to shift down and take a while to get going. The personal opinion is if that matters to you or not. I have a friend that loves is 2nd gen 2L and never mentions any issues with power. My summer car is a mazdaspeed 3, so the Soul was a good winter car that was just acceptable in power (but way better vision and a great daily driver).
Soul is hard to beat for ease of driving, and sitting position, but the thread is just about !/SX or +EX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love my 2019 Turbo. I also liked my 2015 + but the one complaint I had was the power in the engine. Traded up and have not been sorry.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
21 Participants
SOULacolyte
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing