Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying new and would like to get opinions on a + vs a !. It would be my main commuter with 80% interstate, but I want decent twisty road manners also. I like the idea of GPS and keyless start, but do not need all the wiz bang entertainment, Bluetooth connectivity etc. I would prefer just a cd player ( do they even come with this?),but I realize it is a package deal though all the other features would be a waste on me.

Second question is do you get any additional space/comfort with electric vs manual seats? I know it is easier to adjust, and the adjustments are finer, but are they more supportive, or give more butt or legroom?

Are there any fatal flaws in either that would cause you not to buy one or the other?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMHO the + will fit the bill. When I purchased our 2019 soul I could not justify the extra money they wanted for things I wouldn’t need in the ! If you want all the gizmos the only way your going to get them is with the ! It’s your money I would just test drive both and see which one tickles your fancy. We use apple play and WAZE pops right up on my screen so no need for GPS.

Let Those Who Ride Decide

·
Registered
489 Posts
The ! gets the best fuel economy aside from the EV. Test drive both. I'd rather have the better power AND better fuel economy as it makes it easier to pass and scoot around in traffic. The only issue with the Exclaim is that the Dual Clutch is a little difficult some times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a DUPLICATE thread
NOT a duplicate thread, Per instructions from the moderator, reposted from the new members thread where it would have been improper to continue discussions. :wrongforum:
I would have posted it here first, but in order to get permission to post here, I had to do an intro post, In order to be truthful about my reasons for wanting to join the thread, I had to show that I did not own one and only wanted to get information. :run:

·
Registered
317 Posts
You do not get a CD player. You do get a USB port that you can plug a USB stick with your music into.
Rip your CD's to MP3 files, copy to USB and you have a boat load of music in your hand. :victorious:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Actually, a decked out + is what a decked out ! used to be. The exclaim went from being the vehicle with all the goodies to the sport (turbo) version. In fact you can get cooled seats in the + but not in the !

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe YOU can do all the file manipulation, but I am a bit of a Luddite, and don't know how. Maybe time to learn, I assume there is an AUX plug that I can plug my Walkman disk into? There is a valid reason to do so, I do books on tape for my 45 minute commuter, and my local library only has CD's I know, I know I can go online and retrieve files, but I am stuck in my ludditeness

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have 2 souls, 2013 and 2018, both are the + models. The 2018 is a + in the 1 million edition. I never saw the need to go with the ! model. Have you compared the 2 models on the Kia USA website? Maybe that would clarify what you get or can get on the + and ! models. Forget the CD, not available on the later years.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Maybe YOU can do all the file manipulation, but I am a bit of a Luddite, and don't know how. Maybe time to learn, I assume there is an AUX plug that I can plug my Walkman disk into? There is a valid reason to do so, I do books on tape for my 45 minute commuter, and my local library only has CD's I know, I know I can go online and retrieve files, but I am stuck in my ludditeness
Ripping your CD's to MP3 files is actually easy. I am trying Fairstars CD Ripper 2.00, which is free.

FairStars Audio Converter, Recorder and Free CD Ripper with WMA MP3 AAC M4A AMR OGG FLAC APE etc support

My 2014 has an Aux input. :apple:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a Buick Encore base get totaled days before a cruise from Galveston. I had hotels booked all the way to the dock and needed a car quick. The Soul was on my short list last time so I bought one from Hertz. Had one day to drop the hammer and get on the road. I miss all of the extras-- no compass, oil life monitor, power seats, tire pressure indicators. It did have Bluetooth for phones and a backup camera, my two must haves. IMO I think it's a more competent straight forward vehicle than the Encore. Had only air conditioning problems with the Encore but it was flashing PCV valve codes when it died. One valve is in a valve cover replacement and the other is part of the exhaust manifold. Something told me expenses might be ahead, but I didn't crash it on purpose, honest.

The problem with the Exclaim IMO is I'm a bit of a power train Luddite. I've had two Kias with GDI and the Encore had a turbo. I'm afraid of combining those two features. Never experienced LSPI but it doesn't sound pleasant.

Had the 1.6 engine with a Rio. Seems like it might be a bit under powered for the Soul but they may be all but giving left overs away when they move to the 3G car. Since you don't care about Bluetooth for call safety or a back up camera (not sure whether they're standard in the 18's-19's) that might be a good bet.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Looking at buying new and would like to get opinions on a + vs a !. It would be my main commuter with 80% interstate, but I want decent twisty road manners also. I like the idea of GPS and keyless start, but do not need all the wiz bang entertainment, Bluetooth connectivity etc. I would prefer just a cd player ( do they even come with this?),but I realize it is a package deal though all the other features would be a waste on me.

Second question is do you get any additional space/comfort with electric vs manual seats? I know it is easier to adjust, and the adjustments are finer, but are they more supportive, or give more butt or legroom?

Are there any fatal flaws in either that would cause you not to buy one or the other?

Thanks
No CD player, but my 2015! has a USB port which I use to play CDs I have ripped to a thumb drive. I have over 100 CDs on a small drive that I just leave in the car.

With the Bluetooth you can also play music (or podcasts) stored on your phone and, of course, answer a call from the steering wheel.

The navigation is very nice. Easy to use, with some cool features. I just drove from CA to MI. Towards the end of each day I'd list the hotels along my route through the Nav, pick one press the phone icon next to it and the car would call the hotel for me . Does the same for gas stations, restaurants, etc.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you sure you don't want a reel-to-reel tape player instead? CDs are so modern and convenient, why even bother? Maybe just use AM radio or original cylindrical tin foil phonograph from Edison?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am wondering the same thing about the two models. Both are within my budget, I like the stereo and turbo in the exclaim but all the stuff I read about the transmissions in the turbo models doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am wondering the same thing about the two models. Both are within my budget, I like the stereo and turbo in the exclaim but all the stuff I read about the transmissions in the turbo models doesn't sound good.
the TURBO IS AWESOME. i can't imagine driving a 4-banger now without one. it really inspires confidence, just know the power is there when you need it. and the Harmon Kardon system is SWEEEEEETTTTTT.

the Soul Turbo issues reported here and most notably in the Car & Driver long term reports are, of course, concerning. but based on what i've seen from my own research, it's not as widespread as you might think — barring that Class Action against Hyundai in 2016, lol. but here's the thing (and what i keep telling myself, anyway): Kia has sold a fair number of !'s (USA) and SX Turbos (Canada) — and the same DCT is used in various trims of Kona, Veloster, Elantra, Sonata, Tucson, and in the 2020 GT-Line Turbo and the upcoming 2020 Veloster — and it's by no means an epidemic of busted up DCTs on highways and driveways.

there's been very, very poor efforts by KIA and Hyundai — bordering on negligence — to educate consumers on what to expect from a DCT. when shopping around, NONE of the dealers i visited (Hyundai, for the Kona, and Kia) said anything about what a DCT was, or how it worked, or what the differences were, etc. i had done all my research before, so i knew exactly what i was getting into. but on the day that i got my keys, my dealer handed me a small two-sided card, and said "Oh, by the way, just for your information." it was some very general info about DCT, likely something owners just tossed aside or stuffed into the glove compartment without even reading.

coming from a manual, the DCT feels similar, but only with: "oh, it's shifting for me ... ugh i feel so useless as a driver" and sometimes "hey computer, shift now dummy, can't you read the road?" and sometimes "ugh screw this, i'm going Sportmatic."

if you're used to a CVT or slushbox, i can see how it might feel unpredictable and operate seemingly unexpectedly.

that said, talk to me when i clear 20,000kms ... i might be whistling a different tune.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had my Soul Turbo for about a month now and I love it!! I bought it with 23 miles on it and it now has over 2000. So far so good.....At the end of the day it has a 20 year 200K mile power train warranty (dealer supplied the additional 10 years 100K) If the transmission quits working or has issues the warranty is going to fix it. The extra power and fun factor made it a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always buy as much engine as possible so if the turbo has the most hp that will be my choice. Too bad they don't use the 6spd and 2.0T from that other kia in it, I had a rental one and it was quick.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1.6L Turbo gas mileage is much better than the 2.0L. I drove my 2014 for 5 years and the mileage was not the best (my Mazdaspeed 3 was better). This new Turbo Soul is noticeably better, even thought i don't drive it lightly. Hopefully Gen 3 will improve the mileage (slight chance that they tuned it better and the Souless CVT helps).
The Turbo is making me think Kia can make cars that are efficient (wife's Sportage is a gas guzzler).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
21 Participants
SOULacolyte
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing