Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the title was meant to grab you. It worked, because you're here :)

I went by my local Kia place yesterday to buy a new batch of oil filters and metal plug gaskets. I usually get 4-6 at a time, so it takes a year or so (I have 2 Souls) to go through all of them, and it's been about a year since I last bought them. Last time I bought them, I paid about $6 total for the filter and the metal gasket. Yesterday I paid just about $10 for the two of them combined ($1.50 for the gasket, $8 for the filter, tax). So a batch of 4 that usually cost me $24 cost me $40 yesterday.

Is it just my dealer or have these things gone sky high? I prefer changing my own oil, but I get those $19.95 offer things from Kia all the time. At $10 for a filter and $16 for regular oil (I usually buy the 5 gal Mobil-1s at Wallyworld for $25, but regular dino oil is about $4 a quart), I'm losing money doing this myself.

Where are you guys buying your Kia filters/gaskets and what are you paying? I'm talking the factory ones, not aftermarket.

Thanks!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
Did you ask them how much for a case of 6, as you only bought two, maybe its a better price? You could PM Cobra259 and ask him what he charges for a case, as he gives good prices and ships anywhere in the US.

I'm going to my dealer for my 6 month service tomorrow, if I remember I will ask what a filter costs just out of curiosity, but that won't mean anything to anyone in the US but it would be interesting to see how it compares. I never bother as I always get them to change my oil.

·
Registered
992 Posts

I went by my local Kia place yesterday to buy a new batch of oil filters and metal plug gaskets. I usually get 4-6 at a time, so it takes a year or so (I have 2 Souls) to go through all of them, and it's been about a year since I last bought them. Last time I bought them, I paid about $6 total for the filter and the metal gasket. Yesterday I paid just about $10 for the two of them combined ($1.50 for the gasket, $8 for the filter, tax). So a batch of 4 that usually cost me $24 cost me $40 yesterday.

Is it just my dealer or have these things gone sky high? I prefer changing my own oil, but I get those $19.95 offer things from Kia all the time. At $10 for a filter and $16 for regular oil (I usually buy the 5 gal Mobil-1s at Wallyworld for $25, but regular dino oil is about $4 a quart), I'm losing money doing this myself.

Where are you guys buying your Kia filters/gaskets and what are you paying? I'm talking the factory ones, not aftermarket.

Thanks!
I buy mine via Amazon - they usually have several suppliers offering 4, 6, and even 10-packs ranging from $5-$7 per KIA filter that often include washers.
Greg

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you ask them how much for a case of 6, as you only bought two, maybe its a better price? You could PM Cobra259 and ask him what he charges for a case, as he gives good prices and ships anywhere in the US.

I'm going to my dealer for my 6 month service tomorrow, if I remember I will ask what a filter costs just out of curiosity, but that won't mean anything to anyone in the US but it would be interesting to see how it compares. I never bother as I always get them to change my oil.
I actually bought 4, but that's how many I usually buy. I had to go back and look to see what they cost last time I bought and they were $5.10 and $1.00 for the washer. I looked up the filter online a couple of places and it says Kia's MSRP on the filter is $6.60. My dealership is charging 20% markup on the MSRP?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

Thanks!
I buy OEM from Ebay... Good multi Pack Deals seems to me...
Note: OEM come with the washer included...
2014 KIA SOUL OEM OIL FILTERS | eBay

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I think the last batch I got on eBay from some dealer in Connecticut. But the dealerships around here only charge $6.50 for them, including the crush washer.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
J.D. Said: "I get those $19.95 offer things from Kia all the time"

I never have gotten any of those offers?
At 19.95 it's a bargain!
The only downside is the trip to-from and the waiting at the stealership.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,475 Posts
Srad, when you get your new 2017 Soul (you know you want one), tell them you want $19.95 oil changes thrown in the deal.

Mine came with $24.99 OCs.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Srad, when you get your new 2017 Soul (you know you want one), tell them you want $19.95 oil changes thrown in the deal.

Mine came with $24.99 OCs.

Oh yes...depending on the new colors, I do want 1.
2 things I am not fond of though.
1-7 spd dct
2-direct injection.
The 1st may lean me back to a 2016 while the 2nd I have no control over.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
J.D. Said: "I get those $19.95 offer things from Kia all the time"

I never have gotten any of those offers?
At 19.95 it's a bargain!
The only downside is the trip to-from and the waiting at the stealership.
Exactly. This is why I end up struggling with this scenario. When I was paying 6 bucks for the filter/washer and 15 bucks for the oil (synthetic), it was a wash, but I was getting Mobil-1 and the satisfaction of the job being done right (one of the dealerships didn't push the dipstick in all the way on my wife's Soul, resulting in splashed oil all over the bottom of the hood). Now that we're talking 10 bucks for the two and 15 for the oil, the slant is starting to push back towards the dealer. Yeah, 5 bucks isn't much, but I go through a lot of oil changes, and my time is worth something :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
I had my first six month service done today at my local dealer, which is just an oil change and some checks. The had a special on at present $19.95 (CDN), its normally $39.95 (CDN).
I also asked about just the cost of just the oil filter - $6.88 + $1 for the gasket = $7.88 (CDN) = $6.07 US - sounds reasonable to me :sneakiness:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,475 Posts
I would just add that in selling a washer, 20 cents or $1, the transaction cost, labor or overhead, whatever you want to call it, is more than the washer.

If a business has a good handle on understanding those costs they may find comping that little trinket to the buyer will get them a return customer.

I dare suggest they bury the cost of the washer in the filter & say it's free. I guarantee that will make alot of folks happier. Nobody likes the "feeling" of being nickel & dimed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
New to Kia and Hyundai, sister companies, and see both the Kia and Hyundai name on several of the parts. Did you go to the parts manager and ask, are you going to charge me internet or dealer prices on an oil filter? I did at my Hyundai dealer, said for me, internet prices, with the filter drain plug washer and tax were five bucks each, okay, a few cents more than internet prices, but close enough, dealer price is $8.98 each without the washer or tax.

Hyundai uses the 26300 35503 that I believe is the same identical filter the Kia is using.

Sure the reasons for wanting to use an OEM oil filter are the same, dealer already knows I am going to do my own maintenance and to honor that ten year warranty, only want to use the components and oils they recommend and keep legal proof that it was complied with. But can find aftermarket filters as cheap as $2.98 also claiming they are the best. But at the same time, don't want to be robbed.

Been around the block a couple times, been doing my own oil changes for the last 64 years, I want to know whats going in there And see Kia, and Hyundai are still using spin on filters, ha, talked about being robbed, my Chevy dealer wanted 13 bucks for a piece of paper.

While my 50 some year oil socket socket wrench worked on any small sized oil filter, doesn't work on the Kia, my daughter's car. so had to order one. Found the best price here.

Steelman Oil Filter Cap Wrench, 80mm x 15 Flute - Walmart.com

with free shipping to my store. Found trying to work through that little trap door with my big hand a bit awkward with a band type oil filter wrench.

Youngest daughter introduced me to the Kia all on her own, seen quality I haven't seen for years, and a couple of months ago, our Cruze was totaled by a drunk, so had to get something new. Couldn't find any Kia's that suit our taste, but did find a Hyundai Elantra Limited that both my wife and I liked.

Except for one thing, they lied about that EPA highway fuel economy of 37 mpg, on a recent 400 mile trip, we averaged 48 mpg, lies like this I like.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, after reading some of the posts here I went and checked the dealer's online site - $4.84 for a filter and $.84 for a washer. Almost half the price on the internet. Needless to say, I sent them a message about it. If they rectify it (or not), I will post up here along with their name. I find it really distasteful that they charged me almost double walking in the door, when I am a regular customer there.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Geo Said: "Nobody likes the "feeling" of being nickel & dimed."

Nickles make dimes and dimes make dollars and dollars pay salaries and salaries create revenue and so it goes.
While those washers could be a penny a piece in the volume they are purchased any opportunity for profit is usually taken.
Sometimes you simply build more good will though by throwing the consumer a bone (in this case a washer) rather than giving them the distasteful feeling of being petty!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Geo Said: "Nobody likes the "feeling" of being nickel & dimed."

Nickles make dimes and dimes make dollars and dollars pay salaries and salaries create revenue and so it goes.
While those washers could be a penny a piece in the volume they are purchased any opportunity for profit is usually taken.
Sometimes you simply build more good will though by throwing the consumer a bone (in this case a washer) rather than giving them the distasteful feeling of being petty!
Agreed! Besides the mark-up and profit being made on a single purchase oil filter, not going into oil change service provided by a dealer, is well worth their time by giving one with. Is it actually giving it away at that point, no. The feeling of getting something for nothing speaks volumes and builds a bit of loyalty.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts