Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1 thing I have discovered about vents.

With the A/C off, left knob on 0 and right knob on MAX or whatever, everytime I turn the key the inside/outside circulation light ( left knob ) is not lit up. So everytime I start the Soul, I have to push that left knob ( lights up ) so it shuts off the outside air. Theres alot of pollen and I don't want all that in the cabin or plugging up my cabin filter and at times I just don't want air flow at all. Only when I have had the A/C on and it's still in A/C mode, does it stay lit up when I go to start the Soul again.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yep. That's the way most cars are. Recirc is only used on Max AirConditioning.
Yup, thas right!

Just set the right hand knob all the way to the left (MAX Cooling) and the air flow director will automatically shift to 'recirculate' Or, you can put in on manually when the temp selector is in other settings, by just pushing the left hand knob IN.

It's a little different than other cars I've had, but I don't see any real problems with it.
Just something new to learn and get used to.

Oh, on that cabin air filter. I just automatically went right to the FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin air filter, with activated charcoal and baking soda, to freshen the incoming air. I'll replace it with a new one, once a year.
They're really not that expensive. This is NOT the first car that I've used those cabin air filters on and I do love them.
And when taking out the Glove Box to get to the filter, there are about 8 screws to take out, but if you do like I did, you'll only put five back in. (Two on top, two on the bottom and just ONE in the middle.) That just simplifies taking it out the next time, and five screws hold the box nice and tight. No Problemo!

Cheers mates!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Recirculated air doesn't actually shut off outside air. You still get about 25% outside air mixed in with your cabin air. This is because if you had fully recirculated air, you would die from CO2 poisoning as no new air would be coming into your car. The car is actually pretty air tight with all windows shut. I know this because when I get breakfast at McDonald's at 7 AM on my way to work, when I go home at 5 PM if I don't have a window open, when I get in the car I can still smell the greasy goodness at full strength.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, thas right!

Just set the right hand knob all the way to the left (MAX Cooling) and the air flow director will automatically shift to 'recirculate' Or, you can put in on manually when the temp selector is in other settings, by just pushing the left hand knob IN.

It's a little different than other cars I've had, but I don't see any real problems with it.
Just something new to learn and get used to.

Oh, on that cabin air filter. I just automatically went right to the FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin air filter, with activated charcoal and baking soda, to freshen the incoming air. I'll replace it with a new one, once a year.
They're really not that expensive. This is NOT the first car that I've used those cabin air filters on and I do love them.
And when taking out the Glove Box to get to the filter, there are about 8 screws to take out, but if you do like I did, you'll only put five back in. (Two on top, two on the bottom and just ONE in the middle.) That just simplifies taking it out the next time, and five screws hold the box nice and tight. No Problemo!

Cheers mates!
Thats IF you have the left knob set to 1 or more meaning the A/C is blowing. If it's on 0, the lights off and outside air is in. I will have to deal with just pushing that button everytime because sometimes, its cold out and I hate heaters too unless it's super cold. I just want the air thats inside the cabin only with no fans on. All of my older cars, I could manually turn it all off and that was what I had, OFF until I told it to come back on. I just don't think you should have to push the button all the time to keep the air from blowing through the vents.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I guess Kia didn't consult you before they designed the Soul.

so sorry!

Maybe you'd be more happy with an old Ford. Eh?

Reactions: dmwagner

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Doesn't seem logical to me. I can have the vents off but only temp. They don't give the option to turn off just the middle vents either like you can the side ones. Just first manufacture i've seen that does that but i've only been around american cars too, even electronicly controlled. They remain off or on depending on what you selected last.

Other than that, its the only thing i'd change about the Soul mainly. The other things is i'd make the springs/shocks just a tad softer. Probably why they addressed that in the 2014. Probably fixed the vents too. LOL

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
They did one thing, to give you a soft squishy ride, , , they specified the tire pressure at 33psi.
That and the stock suspension will give you that.
I'm sure that's great for little Granny Whipple, but for a guy wanting the maximum performance out of his car, that's way too low.

I've made just a few minor adjustments to my Soul, to enhance the performance, but NO Turbo, and no replacement exhaust system.

I've just done a few little things to "Make it mine"! And it runs like a turpentined cat!!!

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you try resetting the recirc button so you can have it on whenever you want? Not sure if this will help when the fan is off, but worth a try. Turn on the defrost and push the recirc button five times, the ligts will all flash several times and you will be able to have recirc on other settings, not just A/C. Give it a try.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you try resetting the recirc button so you can have it on whenever you want? Not sure if this will help when the fan is off, but worth a try. Turn on the defrost and push the recirc button five times, the ligts will all flash several times and you will be able to have recirc on other settings, not just A/C. Give it a try.
That does let me keep the recirc ON with any setting but it still makes me push the ON everytime I start the car. That did make it flash and unlock that so I bet anything theres a code to unlock it so it remembers to stay on when restarting the car.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Honestly, I though you were kidding. But it works!

As for the 'Problem' of having NO way to shut off air coming out of the center dash vents, , , it only does when you have the selector set to dash-vent. But push the bottom button and redirect the air to your feet and it won't come out the dash vents anymore. Eh?

All in all, the Heat/AC system on the Soul is better than many I've had in the past (50 years).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I bet theres a code for that too. The factory set the code for what we just got rid of. Somethings telling the recirc to shut off everytime the key is off just like a computer. The recirc stays on is you have the fan on speed 1 or more with the key off but soon as you turn it to 0 then shut the key off, its off. So that tells me also that it IS possible for it to stay on ( it does on fan speed 1+ ). Next time i'm at the dealer, i'm going to ask if theres a code.

Putting the air to your feet still isn't right. What if it's 40 degrees out and you don't want cold air coming in but yet don't want a heater? They FORCE you to either hit the recirc button or turn it to heater. You should just have the option of setting and forgetting. Not having to get in, start it and go through a check list before you move down the road. I've read alot of other forums about all Kia's doing this and i'm not the only one that finds this strange.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
Putting the air to your feet still isn't right. What if it's 40 degrees out and you don't want cold air coming in but yet don't want a heater? They FORCE you to either hit the recirc button or turn it to heater. You should just have the option of setting and forgetting. Not having to get in, start it and go through a check list before you move down the road. I've read alot of other forums about all Kia's doing this and i'm not the only one that finds this strange.
Loosing track here, just turn the fan to 0 setting and there is no air movement. You have total control of what degree of heat or cold you want by rotating the temperature dial.

I'll have to go back to the beginning of this thread and recheck this problem, because till now I don't have any problem with the operation of my heating/cooling system, as its a manual system so I figure I have to do something to create my comfort level as its not an automatic climate control system.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
In the Golden Days of motoring, all heat and AC controls were manual, with levers, cables and manually operated valves. Oh what joy.....till a cable broke!
I'm pretty sure that at least SOME on this forum are too young go remember those days.

But today everything is computerized. So deal with it!
Or learn how to reprogram a car's computer.

:cool:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oddly, I never had a cable break on the old cars. At times I had some that would bind alittle ( usually the cold/heat knob ). And they don't have to be that old to get that still. I just had a 2004 Mazda that was all manual.

And it is not ALL new cars that do that. Kia's are the first ones i've seen that does this.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Loosing track here, just turn the fan to 0 setting and there is no air movement. You have total control of what degree of heat or cold you want by rotating the temperature dial.

I'll have to go back to the beginning of this thread and recheck this problem, because till now I don't have any problem with the operation of my heating/cooling system, as its a manual system so I figure I have to do something to create my comfort level as its not an automatic climate control system.
It's not auto no, it just makes you fiddle with the adjustments if you want too or not. I just want it OFF and not have to think about it but they force you to pay attention to it everytime that key is turned. Unless you don't mind being cold or hot. And the air doesn't blow with the fan on 0 UNTIL you start driving then air blows in from the outside.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts