Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1.6t, 7-Speed Dual Cutch

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  mattmc 
#1 · (Edited)
1.6t, 7-Speed Dual Clutch

Soooooo...suppose I were to buy a used Soul 1.6 6A, first or second gen? And suppose I acquired a 178 HP 1.6t w/7DC trannie? And suppose I wanted to bolt them in?

Reactions: GeoSoul
#2 ·
Soooooo...suppose I were to buy a used Soul 1.6 6A, first or second gen? And suppose I acquired a 178 HP 1.6t w/7DC trannie? And suppose I wanted to bolt them in?
I suppose you would for sure win Soul of the Month, hell, of the Year. This would be legendary Neanderthal.

No more s'posin, let's get er done!

#7 ·
I'm not sure, but clearly they have 7 speeds :)

#6 ·
If you can get everything to fit and bolt correctly, you'd have to also acquire the electronics to control it all. That's where the real fun would happen. Since Kia/Hyundai seem to like to keep things simple, the computers might be plug & play with the Soul's wiring harness... or maybe not.

It would be an awesome project, though I'd probably just use the 6MT... You'd probably get that combo a little cheaper than the DCT combo.

#9 ·
Seems like wishful thinking.
I have seen a bit of this dreaming on another forum . To be sure,you can install just about anything
in a vehicle if you have the know how and tons of money. In addition as mentioned,the electronics
part is a bitch. When I had my 57' Ford,I went through 4 different engines. The original 292 upwards to a 427.
Plently of room,fabricate motor mounts,linkages and some plumbing and you were good to go.
Now with everything run off a ECU,its a software puzzle.
Double clutch?
In a Soul,paddle shifters to do seamless shifts.
In a Soul? Comon man.

I am sure that everyone has a list of sorts of things that just need to stay the same.
Ya know,don't fix it if it ain't broken.
Add the Soul to the list.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Kia Introduces New Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch Transmission – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Yes, it is wishful thinking. Getting it to plug-n-play without endless gizmo-tinkering is another dream.

But dream it, it can happen. I'm guessing someone in LA or Seoul has done it. It would be about a 6.0-to-60 screamer with much better MPG is my bet.
I still say why?

If you want a performance vehicle that can post those kind of numbers and still have
room inside similar to the Soul&everything works. Get a Nissan Juke. By the time you figure out
how to make the Soul swap work and deplete your bank acct. You could afford The Juke Nismo.
Plus a warranty to boot.

#15 ·
1)The Soul is the wrong vehicle to do this type of swap
2)Give an example of a Soul owner that tried/successfully did such a conversion.
3)Such a project would prove too expensive.
4)A major selling point of the Soul is the very attractive warranty.It is widely known
that dealers will not cover (under warranty)if you do even minor mods.
5)I gave the Nissan Juke (not junk)as an example. There are other vehicles that fit the category.
6)Yet ANOTHER post of a person saying he may have "access" to said parts and it should work...
But,never tried/did any conversion before.
Water cooler talk.
7)Talkin&doing are 2 different things

#17 ·
Same planet, two different worlds.

#20 ·
I try and stay out of this sort of thing .... However , saying the Soul is the wrong kind of vehicle to do this to is opinion only , not factual .

Doing what Neanderthal has suggested is way more docile than someone throwing a 350 chevy on a bike ( reference ) https://www.bosshoss.com . It doesn't really matter if he does it or not , it's not impossible .

Anyone who would attempt to do this would surely know the warranty is kaput upon taking on a project like this. And probably not care .

Anyone who has built cars / custom work should understand this . Have I ? Nope , but I've seen a hell of bunch of crazy custom work , and a lot of sleepers you'd never know where packing heat .
I've also heard a lot of people talk smack as well , some people come through, some don't .

I've seen these negative opinions before " you need to do THIS , or your wrong " ..... I can see the name has been changed , but the posts are the same .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.