Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a basic Soul. The less frills the better other than Automatic transmission and maybe roof rack. Only other interest is in engine size. I am non-technical. Just wondering if going from 1.6L to 2.0L makes a big difference? Is it worth it? Any big design differences?
Thanks for any help anyone can give!
If it weren't for an ACL tear in my left knee I might be keeping my old Rav 4 manual a little longer......
Kia Soul looks like my best choice of the current generation of small SUV/crossover/hatchback choices and it does look pretty cool!
Cheers!
Karen

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hi and welcome Karen. The base Soul is a 1.6l. I have the base myself in 6 speed electronic automatic. The car runs great and is plenty fast enough to keep you happy. I and my wife in her Soul are both pushing high 20's for mileage right now on 1.6's. The car s have AC, 3 different levels of power steering, the best stereo with bluetooth to my cell phone stored music and even answering calls or making them.

Highest safety ratings for this model and very quiet for us older folks who love sound deadening padding. This Soul is the first car I have had that allows for enough extra room for my military damaged left leg. No more cramps from sriving. I think if you sit in one you might feel the same for your left leg. Also the car is wider and the seats are wider with lots of adjustment opportunities. You can even make the seats rise higher.

We are here for you Karen!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
If you could review this thread, especially Item 1, it would be appreciated: http://www.kiasoulforums.com/4-new-...ers-guide-user-frequently-asked-question.html

What kind of driving are you going to be doing? If you are going to be doing 60 plus most of the time, the 2.0 would probably serve you better. However, if you are going to be doing a lot of around town driving, then the 1.6 will suffice. Keep in mind that the Base has the 1.6, you have to go up scale (to the tune of about 1800 bucks for the 2.0 in the Plus configuration from the Base Automatic). On the highway the 1.6 is going to return much better MPG than the 2.0 but that is traveling at slower speeds.

Take a look at this thread on MPG on commuting for the car: http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...g-project-how-get-40mpg-your-soul-photos.html This test was just completed by a member with a 1.6 manual transmission. I have the 1.6 Auto in an older model and I can tell you on the highway it will get 38 plus with ease. Around town it does not do as well, stop and go and you are in the 24 to 27 range.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Test drive them back to back to see if the 1.6 does have enough power with the AC on. Being in Florida, heated leather seats & steering wheel won't be missed, but you may want to check out the different infotainment systems.

Check out the trims- heard a couple of people with the base complain about it not having a center console/armrest. 2014 Kia Soul - Exclaim, Plus, and Base trims and colors

I test drove the Honda Fit & found it grossly underpowered & lots of wind noise..cheap interior. Also test drove Scion (Camry engine), pretty outdated, 4 speed tranny, very basic, no frills but cheap. Didn't do much for me. I did NOT drive the base Soul as I test drove the 2.0 liter just sufficient so did not even try the base. Also was coming from an underpowered 4 banger Hyundai Tucson and did not want another barely sufficient engine.

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you get an automatic base you get a center console. It is only the manual that is stripped clean I guess.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I test drove the heck out of both base and plus Souls with manual transmissions. There was far more of a difference on a per-car basis than by engine type. I drove some 2.0 that were harsh and felt less powerful than some 1.6L's. So you really need to test drive and go with the car that feels right. Having said that, the one constant I seemed to notice between the two engines was the 2.0 had a wider shift band than the 1.6, but not by much. Overall the 2.0 seemed to more often feel smoother, less raspy and had a slightly wider shift band so I went with the 2.0.

Take the time go to a dealer and test drive at least 3 different Souls with the same engine and tranny. I would wager that at least 1 of the three will stand out, good or bad. There is a rather wide variation in NVH with the Souls, so you'll need to make your selection based on a test drive. Buy the car based on the drive not on the color. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts