Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm back to looking for a used Soul for a secondary car. I've seen a couple under consideration. As before, I'm looking at a 2012 or later with a timing chain. However, I'm torn between getting a 1.6L versus a 2.0 GDI. My choices so far are follows:

2013 with 64K miles for $5K with 1.6L

2014 with 93K miles for $5.5K with 2.0L GDI

2016 with 53K for $7K with 1.6L

From my experience owning a Hyundai Tucson with the 2.0L GDI this engine had problems which are well known and documented in Hyundai and Kia forums.

My other consideration is the Rio with similar engines.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm a fan of the 1.6. We owned a 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic for 6-1/2 years and 95K miles. Engine ran great and used no oil (almost all changes with synthetic).

That being said, the 2nd generation models I drove seemed much more comfortable and "substantial" on our bumpy roads in West Virginia. Of the 3 you mentioned, I would probably spring for the 2016. Of course, that's assuming the rest of the car checks out OK.

With the 2016, you will have a little bit of the 5/60K warranty left. If you are buying at a Kia dealer, bargain with them to make it Kia Certified at no cost so you get the 10/100K powertrain warranty carried over. I used to do photos and webpage work for 2 Kia dealers, and I believe the certification costs them around $500. If they throw it in free and the rest of the car is nice, that would be a good deal.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts
pnoman, I haven't had any problems with my 2014 1.6ltr, soon to start year 7. No issues with power, drive mixed with half freeway.

Unless you have a need for the extra 33hp, you probably can't go wrong either way.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,536 Posts
I'm a fan of the 1.6. We owned a 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic for 6-1/2 years and 95K miles. Engine ran great and used no oil (almost all changes with synthetic).

That being said, the 2nd generation models I drove seemed much more comfortable and "substantial" on our bumpy roads in West Virginia. Of the 3 you mentioned, I would probably spring for the 2016. Of course, that's assuming the rest of the car checks out OK.

With the 2016, you will have a little bit of the 5/60K warranty left. If you are buying at a Kia dealer, bargain with them to make it Kia Certified at no cost so you get the 10/100K powertrain warranty carried over. I used to do photos and webpage work for 2 Kia dealers, and I believe the certification costs them around $500. If they throw it in free and the rest of the car is nice, that would be a good deal.
Agree. I'd go with the newest car with the lowest miles.
That said, it's mainly the road test guys who say they don't like the 1.6 vs. the 2.0. I've had both--'13 1.6, '15 2.0, now a '17 1.6--and I can't feel the difference. And test numbers show at most about one second 0-60 difference between the two.
I find my 1.6 plenty adequate 99% of the time, it's more about timing than brute power. Good luck shopping.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
469 Posts
I suggest running the VIN of the 1.6L and find if it is involved in, the High exhaust gas temperatures may damage the catalytic converter recall. If so, has it been serviced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I'm back to looking for a used Soul for a secondary car. I've seen a couple under consideration. As before, I'm looking at a 2012 or later with a timing chain. However, I'm torn between getting a 1.6L versus a 2.0 GDI. My choices so far are follows:

2013 with 64K miles for $5K with 1.6L

2014 with 93K miles for $5.5K with 2.0L GDI

2016 with 53K for $7K with 1.6L

From my experience owning a Hyundai Tucson with the 2.0L GDI this engine had problems which are well known and documented in Hyundai and Kia forums.

My other consideration is the Rio with similar engines.

Any opinions?
Don't go near a 1.6. no power when you really need it.. had one and took it back to dealer next day and got the 2.0.. love it

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a 2014 with the 2.0L and 6 speed automatic.
Have put on about 15,000 miles since I got it over a year ago, and it has over 78,000 now.
No problems runs good. Reasonably peppy. I can't speak for the smaller engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been driving the 2013 1.6L Base, manual transmission with 99.5k miles for about a month or so now.

It seems quite decent compared to other cars I've owned at lower speeds. It is so light that the engine size will give it a decent amount of oomph for most cases. I go on short highway trips (~30 min at 60-80mph) where it feels powerful enough to pass at speed and is comfortable overall.

I would be hesitant to make it my main vehicle if I was doing consistent daily highway driving (hour+). I would opt for slightly more power if that were the case, but the 2.0GDI comes with potential, well-documented issues.

On a deal basis -

2013 1.6L at 64k for $5k is a pretty great deal. I keep seeing ones with around 80k+ at that price or higher. Assuming you are an average driver ~10k miles a year, you should get the most out of your warranty.

2014 with 93k miles at $5.5k is an average deal, I picked mine up at 98k miles for $4.5k so you are pretty much on price with the auto.

2016 53K at $7K gives you 6 years and 47k of warranty which is pretty awesome for a second used vehicle if you use it lightly like in my case (5k miles a year or so). You will probably get some upgraded goodies with 2nd gen as well.

I would personally go for 2013 with 64k at $5k. It is tough to get a car in decent condition with that low miles at that price from a dealer that isn't a soul or like a versa, or 20+ rust box with problems.

Good luck with your decision!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts