Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife often makes the drive from Columbia, SC to Columbus, Miss in her 2016 1.6. That's around an 8 hour drive mostly on I-20 and she averages 65-70 mph. She thinks the Soul is far more comfortable than her 2016 CR-V SE that we gave to our daughter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2016 base 6 speed manual. If I keep my foot out of the injectors, translation: around 55-60 mph, I get between 37-40 miles per gallon. That is a 60 miles per day round trip. Of that 56 miles is all expressway. Hope that helps.
That's about right for the 1.6 manual. Feed it ethanol free fuel and you can get upwards of 50 mpg if driven right

·
Registered
15 Posts
The temperature gauge was up too. I know that could be slipping clutch but I never feel an indication of it in daily use. That makes me think its a loss of compression issue.
IDK. I’ll change the oil regularly give her a bath when salty and run her till she dies

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi James here from Nashville tn, I just bought a 2016 Kia Soul base 1.6 engine. Was woundering if they make good highway cars 60mph-75mph?? I drive to work for about 35mins each way on highway just won’t to make sure the engine can handle it ??? Thanks in advance
In Dallas TX here, so our highway commutes are typically 75-85mph most days. My wife drives hers half an hour each way and then some for her daily commute, and the 1.6 in our 2016 base manual has zero issues at 45k miles. Smaller 4 cylinder engines are designed to run at higher revs for long periods of time- you have nothing to worry about. We also easily average 30+ mpg while being very aggressive with the go pedal.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,571 Posts
I've got the manual version. Friend has the same in auto. Different car. Get a stick.
I thought the same thing when I was buying my '94 Protege. Two different cars, the automatic was a bit of a stone compared to the stick.

And yes, small fours are made to spin. My Proteges ran about 20 MPH/1000 RPM in top gear. 80 MPH got me four grand on the tach. No worries!

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
Hi James here from Nashville tn, I just bought a 2016 Kia Soul base 1.6 engine. Was woundering if they make good highway cars 60mph-75mph?? I drive to work for about 35mins each way on highway just won’t to make sure the engine can handle it ??? Thanks in advance
@OP: In addition to the above testimony, see this thread: Intake Cleaning

Pushing these engines hard seems to be good for them! In that thread, most of us posted about driving hills (hard) have 2.0 litre engines but from everything I have heard or read, the 1.6 litre engines are just as tough.

Helps to be on top of the maintenance, err on the side of more frequent oil changes, understand GDI engines issues, clean or replace some emissions components regularly, and so on.

If you already have or get decent tires, this little beast clings to the road. Don't you have some windy mountainous roads in Tennessee?

·
Registered
757 Posts
See post 13

21 - 29 of 29 Posts