Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi James here from Nashville tn, I just bought a 2016 Kia Soul base 1.6 engine. Was woundering if they make good highway cars 60mph-75mph?? I drive to work for about 35mins each way on highway just won’t to make sure the engine can handle it ??? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
493 Posts
We live in West Virginia (lots of hills) and owned a 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic for 6 years / 95K miles. (Traded for a '20 Soul LX). We regularly drove back and forth from West Virginia to Wisconsin and it was a very comfortable, relaxed car on the interstate. If I remember correctly, the tach sat on about 2,700 RPM at 70 MPH.

I thought that 99% of the time, it had plenty of power. Often, it needs to downshift and rev to get up steep hills, but on anything relatively flat it was fine. Some people freak out when their car has to downshift and run at 3,500-4,000 RPM going up a steep hill, but as a lifelong motorcyclist, I can tell you most motorcycles (excluding HD and big V-Twins) normally run 4,000-6,000 with spurts up to 10K and above. Occasional 4K RPM spurts are not going to kill your engine.

So, to answer your question (finally), YES the 1.6 can handle interstates with no sweat. If you are wanting 0-60 in 6 seconds, buy a sports car.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,891 Posts
No problem with mine (1.6 stick). Your 35 minute highway drive is a great workout to get the engine up to full temp & cleaner burning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We live in West Virginia (lots of hills) and owned a 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic for 6 years / 95K miles. (Traded for a '20 Soul LX). We regularly drove back and forth from West Virginia to Wisconsin and it was a very comfortable, relaxed car on the interstate. If I remember correctly, the tach sat on about 2,700 RPM at 70 MPH.

I thought that 99% of the time, it had plenty of power. Often, it needs to downshift and rev to get up steep hills, but on anything relatively flat it was fine. Some people freak out when their car has to downshift and run at 3,500-4,000 RPM going up a steep hill, but as a lifelong motorcyclist, I can tell you most motorcycles (excluding HD and big V-Twins) normally run 4,000-6,000 with spurts up to 10K and above. Occasional 4K RPM spurts are not going to kill your engine.

So, to answer your question (finally), YES the 1.6 can handle interstates with no sweat. If you are wanting 0-60 in 6 seconds, buy a sports car.
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for

your reply ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you ?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,891 Posts
Thank you ?
You bet James! On a "perspective" note, back in the 80s & 90s I had a Honda Accord Sedan & Mazda 626 Sedan. They were marketed as "road cars." Man, compared to a Civic or 323, they were great on the highway. I gave little thought back then to the 79 & 86 horsepower engines they had.

The 1.6ltr Soul is 130hp.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,571 Posts
No problem with mine (1.6 stick). Your 35 minute highway drive is a great workout to get the engine up to full temp & cleaner burning.
Amen to that. This is a Good Life for an engine.

You bet James! On a "perspective" note, back in the 80s & 90s I had a Honda Accord Sedan & Mazda 626 Sedan. They were marketed as "road cars." Man, compared to a Civic or 323, they were great on the highway. I gave little thought back then to the 79 & 86 horsepower engines they had.

The 1.6ltr Soul is 130hp.
I've had Souls with 2.0 and 1.6, which I own now. They're both fine highway cars. They're both fine town cars. My '15 Soul + ran about 1000 RPM per 30 MPH in top gear. So at 75 it was running 2500 RPM.
My 1.6 runs 1000 RPM per 25 MPH in top gear. AT 75 it's running 3000 RPM. No big deal.

Oddly the 2.0 was more inclined to downshift at slight inclines on the highway at 60-70 MPH. We drove that car 2000 miles cross country through several mountain passes at 5000', with about 500 lbs. aboard. Other than kick down to 4th fairly frequently at higher altitudes, it was no problem at any time. I'm confident the 1.6 would do just as well.

Funny how we now "need" 200 HP but long ago, as GeoSoul notes, much less HP was considered plenty spiffy.
Enjoy your drives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like everyone else said, the 1.6 is fine on the highway. I have a 2019 1.6 manual, a 26 mile commute, about 24 miles of which are highway. I usually run 73-75mph, but have had it up to 85+mph trying to keep up with our "lively" traffic here in SE Michigan. No problems with almost 23,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2016 manual 1.6 with about 56000 miles and drove it from NJ to MI a few times (1200 mi roundtrip, 9 hours one way). Very comfortable, keeps 75- 80 mph without difficulties , but you may need to downshift to 5 on inclines and when passing. Best, Max

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe it’s not a fair comparison, but my’12 soul base 1.6 manual with 54k on the clock STRUGGLES on a trip through the Allegheny mountains. The lonng inclines had me mashing the peddle and downshifting till i was screaming the rpm in 3rd gear to go 40 mph.
I wish I had a 2.0L

·
Registered
493 Posts
Maybe it’s not a fair comparison, but my’12 soul base 1.6 manual with 54k on the clock STRUGGLES on a trip through the Allegheny mountains. The lonng inclines had me mashing the peddle and downshifting till i was screaming the rpm in 3rd gear to go 40 mph.
I wish I had a 2.0L
You may want to have that checked. Even in the mountains of West Virginia (Allegheny Mts also) our 2013 1.6 Automatic would regularly downshift to 5th gear to maintain highway speeds. Very seldom do I remember it going down to 4th except maybe coming out of a hairpin turn on a steep uphill grade or to accelerate and pass a slow truck on an uphill 2-lane. Almost never down to 3rd gear.

I'm a pretty conservative driver, though, and I understand those who drive with more "zest" may find the 1.6 lacking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 base 6 speed manual. If I keep my foot out of the injectors, translation: around 55-60 mph, I get between 37-40 miles per gallon. That is a 60 miles per day round trip. Of that 56 miles is all expressway. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish I had a 2.0L
sounds like a slipping clutch to me. My 2012, 1.6 manual will climb anything with a down shift or two here in the cascades.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts