Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil & filter today, so thought I'd post these instructions as it may help someone make up their mind to do an interim oil change themeselves as it is VERY easy. My Soul has now done 2,700 miles and I wanted to do an interim oil change as the first Kia service isn't due until 12,500 miles which doesn't seem a good idea on a new engine.

What you need is:

6 litres of oil
Kia oil filter kit K263202A500 (costs £7.69+VAT)
28mm socket
17mm spanner or socket

The Kia oil filter (called "K105 SERVICE KIT-OI") comes with a sump plug washer and two o-rings for the filter housing.

Firstly, remove sump drain plug with 17mm spanner or socket and let oil drain. You don't need to raise car or use ramps. It is easily accessible with car on the level ground.

Then remove engine cover and locate the oil filter housing as shown below.

Remove plastic oil filter housing with a 28mm socket.

The paper element needs to be pulled off the shaft (needs a tug). The new filter needs to be pushed (clicked) into place. The two oil rings on the plastic housing also need replacing.

Screw filter housing make into place and do not over tighten. Ideally use a torque wrench and tighten to 25Nm.

Replace the sump plug washer and tighten plug.
Refill with oil. Mine took about 4.5 litres to fill to F on the dipstick. I then ran the engine and it took a further 0.75 litres to top it up again.
Therefore, total fill up was 5.25 litres.

As for the oil, I wanted to use an oil that met the specification in the Kia handbook i.e. to API CH-4 & ACEA B4, so there would be no future warranty issues. It took a while to find one as none of the normal fully synthetic oils found in the UK high street met both these specs. I tried Castrol, Mobil 1, Halfords, Shell, Comma etc. They all had oils that I'm sure were more than suitable, but none actually met the API CH4 spec as most where CF only (including Castrol Edge). For more details of these specs, see this guide.
I finally came across Millers XFD 5w40 which met both these specs and was slightly cheaper as you got 5 litres for the same price as 4 litres with other top brands. You can buy this direct from Millers on their UK website, but I purchased a 5 litre & a 1 litre bottle from an eBay trader as it was cheaper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good job. I'm jealous....first the color I wanted and 2nd, don't get the diesel over here in the states. That really sucks!

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Had a chat with a very experienced engineer friend cos i was thinking about doing extra oil changes between recommended services. And as the car comes with semi synthetic oil as standard - he has recommended sticking to the first oil change at 12,500 miles to allow the engine to fully bed in....and then change it every 10,000 miles thereafter. He mentions that semi synthetic is perfectly suitable for everyday driving and would only change up to fully synthetic if he was driving his car very very hard.......this advice was in regard to the Diesel Version...i didnt ask about the Petrol version.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts