Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where the cartridge heater goes on a 1.6L engine? 2016 base. I got the thing and It just says right rear of engine, blow out hole with air compressor and stick in hole.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Dude I was wondering what happened to you, if you were still around here or not. I always give you credit for being the "discoverer" of manual transmission cruise control!

Anyway, I have NFI where the block heater goes. I live somewhere that doesn't require block heaters, and I say this as someone who has lived in Ohio before!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude I was wondering what happened to you, if you were still around here or not. I always give you credit for being the "discoverer" of manual transmission cruise control!

Anyway, I have NFI where the block heater goes. I live somewhere that doesn't require block heaters, and I say this as someone who has lived in Ohio before!
Hahaha. Yeah, I’m still here. I stalk the forums once every 6 months or so. Nothing new to report, really. I don’t really NEED it either, more of a luxury till I can figure out how to put a heated steering wheel in this thing and put my heated seats back in it. Lol

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Just go to the dealer, my dealer installed one for me and only charged for the heater, actual install was on the house so it has to be a fairly simple install.

Pat.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I've always just used a Dip Stick Heater, which would work just fine on the Soul, because the dip stick just goes straight down into the oil pan, without having to make any turns.
And, if it ever burns out, just toss it in the trash and get a new one, , they are not that expensive.

Installing a Block Heater involves opening up the engine and is subject to Leaking. I'd rather just pass on that! And, if it burns out, getting it fixed is, or can be, a real PITA! And, you'd not even know it, till the engine freezes up. :(

When I drove company cars, that were on lease, any alteration to the engine, like installing a block heater was Forbidden, so I used a Dip Stick heater, or I just stuck a 1000W electric heater under the engine at night. That kept the engine toasty warm all night, even at below Zero temps, and did not violate the car's lease.

Happy Holidays Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Installing a Block Heater involves opening up the engine and is subject to Leaking. I'd rather just pass on that! And, if it burns out, getting it fixed is, or can be, a real PITA! And, you'd not even know it, till the engine freezes up. :(
that will never happen unless you're dumb enough to put in water instead of a proper mix of coolant. :chuncky:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The block heater on KIA cars is installed in a pocket on the cylinder block under the manifold I think, no invasive surgery required. BTW it is much simpler than what you describe as in opening up the engine, it involved removing a frost plug and installing a block heater, nothing as dramatic as what you describe.

Pat.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Duh! Removing a Frost Plug is Definitely Opening the engine block, (just like opening a bottle of wine), and letting out a significant amount of the coolant. You go right ahead and do that, if you must, but I'll still pass.

Sounds to me like you're relying on 'hear say' information and not good personal experience, and that can be deadly.
By putting out bad info here, you could cost someone an engine and a lot of $'s.

I lived in COLD country for nearly fifty years, and I've seen engines destroyed when a block heater burned out and the owner didn't know about it. Also they can leak, and often times DO, then you go low on coolant. It's just not worth the hassle.

Happy Holidays, Mates!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Duh! Removing a Frost Plug is Definitely Opening the engine block, (just like opening a bottle of wine), and letting out a significant amount of the coolant. You go right ahead and do that, if you must, but I'll still pass.

Sounds to me like you're relying on 'hear say' information and not good personal experience, and that can be deadly.
By putting out bad info here, you could cost someone an engine and a lot of $'s.

I lived in COLD country for nearly fifty years, and I've seen engines destroyed when a block heater burned out and the owner didn't know about it. Also they can leak, and often times DO, then you go low on coolant. It's just not worth the hassle.

Happy Holidays, Mates!
I take issue with the assumption you make that I am (1) relying on hearsay information, & (2) I am putting out bad information. You know absolutely nothing about me in order to be making spurious statements.

You my friend are the one with bad info, if a block heater burns out it stops working it doesn't cause damage to the engine, and if a block heater leaks it was installed by an incompetent. I have over 40 years experience working on cars and have installed more than my share of block heaters without ever having a leak.

I am or was before retirement a commercial Refrigeration Mechanic by profession and a Car Mechanic by a love of working on things mechanical.

By the way if you look at my location you will see Ottawa Canada, pretty cold by anyone's standards.

Pat.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Block heaters today do not even touch coolant or coolant plugs. They are pressed into a hole in the engine block. Let's just clear that up right now.
You get an aluminum plug, put grease on it, and slide it into it's proper hole.

(source: I was a KIA tech from 2010-2016)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Block heaters today do not even touch coolant or coolant plugs. They are pressed into a hole in the engine block. Let's just clear that up right now.
You get an aluminum plug, put grease on it, and slide it into it's proper hole.

(source: I was a KIA tech from 2010-2016)
Right. I have a dry cartridge style heater...just need to know where to stick it. :)
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I take issue with the assumption you make that I am (1) relying on hearsay information, & (2) I am putting out bad information. You know absolutely nothing about me in order to be making spurious statements.

You my friend are the one with bad info, if a block heater burns out it stops working it doesn't cause damage to the engine, and if a block heater leaks it was installed by an incompetent. I have over 40 years experience working on cars and have installed more than my share of block heaters without ever having a leak.

I am or was before retirement a commercial Refrigeration Mechanic by profession and a Car Mechanic by a love of working on things mechanical.

By the way if you look at my location you will see Ottawa Canada, pretty cold by anyone's standards.

Pat.
Not only is Ottawa a cold place, but it's COOL, too. Visit Canada's capital. Unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Right. I have a dry cartridge style heater...just need to know where to stick it. :)
Any thoughts?
Once the wifey gets home with mine I will take a flashlight out there and try to get a photo.

She has a RIO that she loves... yet she seems to take my Turbo out more and more... hmm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts