Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I perused the owners manual for my new 2015 Soul+ I noticed it said for further information such as owners manual, service manual, etc. go to website www.KiaTechinfo.com Owner's manual states"The following publications are available on www.KiaTechinfo.com at no charge: Service manual, Electrical troubleshooting manual, Owner's manual." When I got to the site I found you must sign up so I did. Then I proceeded to the page where it informed me I would need to pay a 72 hour access subscription for $19, 1 month $150 or one year $1,500. Is this the most ridiculous riip-off you've ever heard of? It is for me. As I told the Kia rep who phoned responding to my complaint I'll be praising the vehicle but bad-mouthing their tech info deal every chance I get.
I filed complaint with Better Business Bureau; here's Kia's response: "For many years, Kia Motors America has provided no cost access to www.KiaTechInfo.com as a complimentary service to its customers, although most other competitors charge for access to their service support websites. Because Kia vehicles have advanced technology requiring specialized training, tools and equipment, the information contained in this website is largely tailored towards the professional technician and effective October 17, 2014, the site has been changed to a subscription-based, pay per use site.

The following subscription rate options are being offered to provide flexibility for site use: 72 hours ($19.00), 1 month ($150.00), and 1 Year ($1,500.00). Additionally, vehicle security (locksmiths) codes are priced at $14.00 per VIN.

Should Kia vehicle owners have any questions regarding their vehicle or the new subscription-based access to www.KiaTechInfo.com, please contact Kia Consumer Affairs at 1-800-333-4Kia (4542) or online at the Owners Section of www.kia.com."

I also filed complaint with FL Attorney General & US FTC. Probably get nowhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You might get somewhere, actually. It is printed in the manual, and a good lawyer might be able to make a case that that constitutes a sort of contract. You also might be able to make a case for the free tech info being part of the reason you bought the car. It depends how far you want to go with it.

Richard

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
hope you have some results, but we are well ahead of you as this has all been covered on this thread

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/15-off-topic-lounge/44537-kgis-turning-subscription-site.html

I hope lots of US members complain about this and maybe something will be done, its US based so its not something I can do much about, but it was such a great site and have used it for over six years - till now! The cost is ludicrous.

The date on your thread title is incorrect its Oct 17, not Jan 17th :fat:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Did you enter the site from the Kia.com site? Sign in there as an owner, pick manuals, it takes you to KiaTechinfo.com without the need to sign in.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
are you referring to this link tamp8? Does that work now?

Here in Canada we can download owners manual for KIA Canada's website, the only problem is that they aren't always current, no 2015 Soul Owners manual on the site yet for example. But we have nothing like the KGIS site.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
are you referring to this link tamp8? Does that work now?

Here in Canada we can download owners manual for KIA Canada's website, the only problem is that they aren't always current, no 2015 Soul Owners manual on the site yet for example. But we have nothing like the KGIS site.
No, that link still takes us to the login page requiring a subscription.

There is another page to go to Kia Tech Info only to download manuals that does not require a login other than the Kia Owners login.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
sorry I meant to say, does the sign-in as an owner take you to KGIS (without charge) work now (since the change over to subscription of the site). If so can you access all the info that you could before?

I checked on the owner sign-in but it looks like its no good to owners that are not located in the US. :culpability:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
sorry I meant to say, does the sign-in as an owner take you to KGIS (without charge) work now (since the change over to subscription of the site). If so can you access all the info that you could before?

I checked on the owner sign-in but it looks like its no good to owners that are not located in the US. :culpability:
I never went to the site via the Kia site before. I see two areas on the Kia owner's site: the one in your screenshot which tells you about the subscription. (You can tell it is just a link to the kiatechinfo.com and doesn't pass along any parameters that would tell the site you are coming from the Owner's site.) The other place is where you can download manuals, where it brings you to kiatechinfo.com but goes to a special URL and passes a session ID to the URL which allows you to download manuals only.

I don't see any other options to get there without charge.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
I never went to the site via the Kia site before. I see two areas on the Kia owner's site: the one in your screenshot which tells you about the subscription. (You can tell it is just a link to the kiatechinfo.com and doesn't pass along any parameters that would tell the site you are coming from the Owner's site.) The other place is where you can download manuals, where it brings you to kiatechinfo.com but goes to a special URL and passes a session ID to the URL which allows you to download manuals only.

I don't see any other options to get there without charge.
what is the "other place" as I can't find anything like that or is that only through when you "Create your KIA Account"? (which is no good for me being outside the US)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yes you have to be signed in that was in my post above.
My solution works in the U.S. where the OP is from. I don't think there was a need for a formal complaint instead of checking here or just asking KIA.
I do not know about Canada but they appear to have the same Kia site we do with an owner's sign in?
Buy 2014 and 2015 Kia Cars | Sedan & SUVs | New & Used Kia Cars | Kia Canada

One email to Kia that contained my home phone, and they called me two days later, they gave me the info about going to the owner's site, and she said they WILL get you a manual if it isn't listed.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
there is no owner's sign in on the Canadian site to get an owners manual, anyone in the world can download them.
Kia Cars Owners | Car Owners Manual | Kia Canada

We just don't have access to all the other goodies that KGIS offers, I guess I won't be able to answer as many members questions as I used too, they will have fend for themselves - and maybe even actually read their owners manual :sneakiness:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes that's good advice, however you can't get Service manual or Electrical troubleshooting manual. If you're a DIY you need these.

Did you enter the site from the Kia.com site? Sign in there as an owner, pick manuals, it takes you to KiaTechinfo.com without the need to sign in.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah, you only get owners manuals and UVO manuals....not service manuals like you used to get. I wish I had read more about my Soul. Worst case, if something breaks and needs major work, I pay for 72 hours and fix it. $14 is still cheaper than the dealer.....

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,619 Posts
The only manuals they give you acess to entering kgis thru the new owners site is the ones that came in the glovebox. If you want to view or download any of the tech info, you will need a credit card.

Also as most of us know, Kia put a start date of Oct 17 2015 on the posted notice, giving us 1 year to prepare for the new fee based policy, and made no effort to correct it when they turned it off in 2014. Typo? Or hoodwinked?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts