2012 Soul Base 1.6 Spark Plugs

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2012 Soul Base 1.6 Spark Plugs

2012 Soul Base 1.6 Spark Plugs

ok - i figured the forum would be the best place to ask this... bc the Rocket Scientists at a handful of dealers seem dumbfounded, maybe just DUMB.

I have a 2012 soul base my wife bought... it has 62K on the odo and I want to do a lil tuneup... the dealer wants close to 4billion dollars to do a simple spark plug swap.

Being I have built full race motors in the past I'm not uusally one to shy away from such a simple DIY item such as spark plugs lol.

here is my problem... When I goto auto parts stores, they keep trying to give me iridium plugs, from my understanding these are 2.0 plugs and my 1.6 comes with crap Chapmion rer8mc copper plugs.

The dealer says I am not scheduled to get plugs till 100K bc I have these iridium plugs... so here is my confusion.

Why do some people say ALL SOULS use iridium plugs, some say 1.6 is the Champion rer8mc copper crap plugs ***which I personally would replace every other oil change lol

Some people are trying to tell me that the 1.6 came stock with these champion plugs... and that the dealer is since swapping them out for iriduims.

CAN ANYONE WEIGH IN... I have literally been working on this debate on and off since 50K and have definitely seen a performance decrease since.

Dealer looks up my vin and says 17-20$ per plug... Auto parts stores... blah, idiots.... and lastly online. 7$ for the rer8mc champions.

At this point I'm ready to pull one out and see what the deal is in there... CHOICE A OR B!

Thanks so much

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2011 Clear White Kia Soul
    My 1.6L, 2011 had those cheap champion ones the dealer uses. And they say they have to be changed every 30k. I recently did my 60k maintenance myself and used NGK copper spark plugs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using the Autoguide App
    Hidden Content
    LTLDV1LSoul

Drives
    2011 Clear White Kia Soul
    Let me add, the 1.6L in my car is not the GDI... so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Hidden Content
    LTLDV1LSoul

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LTLDV1LSoul View Post
    My 1.6L, 2011 had those cheap champion ones the dealer uses. And they say they have to be changed every 30k. I recently did my 60k maintenance myself and used NGK copper spark plugs.

I used to use NGK Copper in all of my cars and just keep packages of them in the trunk Awesome Reliable spark!

I wonder if they changed to the iridium in 2012 or if they are just trying to rip people off by putting 20$ plugs in each hole

I just called Champion and they agreed that the rer8mc champions are listed as the proper plug in their DB...

I have to look what mine is, I think my wife has GDI, but I will look now.

I am betting it does make a difference... but anyone who REALLY knows will be on this forum, the ones that work for kia are sworn to some secrecy U guess...

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    Quote Originally Posted by nixem View Post
    I have to look what mine is, I think my wife has GDI, but I will look now.

I am betting it does make a difference... but anyone who REALLY knows will be on this forum, the ones that work for kia are sworn to some secrecy U guess...
    I have a 2012 base auto, the manual calls for iridium coated spark plugs.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

Yes the manual calls for them, and the vin pulls them up. And the service calls for them... but ARE they in the car. Because people say the campions are in the 1.6

Did they maybe change them in 2012?

Drives
    Yes the manual calls for them, and the vin pulls them up. And the service calls for them... but ARE they in the car. Because people say the campions are in the 1.6

Did they maybe change them in 2012?
    Sorry, snowing hard here right now, not going outside to check just yet. However, the 1.6 Gamma MPI, 122 HP was used in the 2010/11 and changed to the 1.6 Gamma GDI, 138 HP, in 2012 up.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

I see, so that could explain the difference.

Just def not spending $20+ at the dealer
    Shaggy Wierdo likes this.

Drives
    I see, so that could explain the difference.

Just def not spending $20+ at the dealer
    Don't blame you, setting a gap and swapping plugs is not worth the effort or cost.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)