Alice in Blunderland

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Alice in Blunderland

Drives
    2020LX & 2012+

Alice in Blunderland

So...as many of you are well aware the "tangerine dream" (2020LX) has finally been bought.
    While we are muddling thru the various manuals I am wondering about something.
    Has the voice command phone dialing been eliminated as we can't seem to get it to work nor do we see a microphone anywhere in the cabin?
    The wife has an I phone and I an android samsung but neither will work for voice dialing as on our 2012.
    We have reviewed the manual and fumbled with the infortainment system only to be defeated by it.
    Please share what we are missing, if anything?
    Thanx!
    Are We Not Men?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"
    My 2013, supposed to be Base Model, had the mic in the ceiling, however my 2020 LX does not. Nor does it have the electronics in the rear view mirror like the 2013 did. Maybe LX means Lite on extras. lol

Good Luck, and Happy Memorial Day

Alice in Blunderland-memorial-day.jpg
    Neanderthal likes this.
    Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    This is the downside srad of Gen3 (except EX & GT Turbo editions).

They have removed on-board voice commanded radio, phone, SiriusXM and given responsibilities for it all over to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

So you will need to set that up and your phone will be the "listening" device for your commands & mirroring said commands to your dash screen etc.

I prefer the Gen2 infotainment setup, no matter what level. Kia saved some money by farming-out those nice functions over to AA/ACP in Gen3.

Progress? The Power to Surprise. "Surprise!"

(Oh, and don't expect a grab handle for the driver or a light by the vanity mirror. They've been deemed "nada importante.")
    Last edited by GeoSoul; 05-26-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    nick1946, pnoman and FLHamster like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    '20 Soul EX DC Neptune Blue
    My EX DC has the microphone adjacent to the map light (changing to LED bulbs / installed a dash cam). Shame they cut that from the lower models.

I am not thrilled with the Android Auto experience. I use the android app in my other vehicles that do not have a good integration thru bluetooth and for navigation, but the experience with the Soul leaves something to be desired. Not bad, but not as good as it could be.
    GeoSoul likes this.

Drives
    2020LX & 2012+
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post

They have removed voice commanded radio, phone, SiriusXM and given responsibilities for it all over to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

So you will need to set that up and your phone will be the "listening" device for your commands & mirroring said commands to your dash screen etc.

I prefer the Gen2 infotainment setup, no matter what level. Kia saved some money by farming-out those nice functions over to AA/ACP.

Progress? The Power to Surprise. "Suprise!"

(Oh, and don't expect a grab handle for the driver or a light by the vanity mirror. They've been deemed "nada importante.")

Ouch!
    Ouch...ouch...ouch!
    From the "power to surprise" to the "power to disappoint" it would seem?
    I, for the life of me, have been wondering how I could buy a 2020 soul for less than my 2012?
    Now...it's all starting to make sense.
    No voice command capability, no interior microphone, no cd player, no grab handle.
    Sometimes less is more and sometimes less is simply less!
    Buzz and pnoman like this.
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    also keep in mind you've gone from a higher level 2012 to a lower level 2020. A 2012 + is probably more on the lines of a 2020 EX not an LX. A 2020 LX is equal to the BASE model in the G1 & G2 series.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Drives
    2020LX & 2012+
    Quote Originally Posted by conwelpic View Post
    also keep in mind you've gone from a higher level 2012 to a lower level 2020. A 2012 + is probably more on the lines of a 2020 EX not an LX. A 2020 LX is equal to the BASE model in the G1 & G2 series.
    With the exception of the alloy wheels I'd say they were about evenly equipped.
    I really like the wheels on the "S" model but all those self driving safety ASSistance systems gave me the creeps!
    Buzz, pnoman and FLHamster like this.
    Are We Not Men?

Elder Soul
    Drives
    2017 Soul Auto, titanium.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post

They have removed on-board voice commanded radio, phone, SiriusXM and given responsibilities for it all over to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

I prefer the Gen2 infotainment setup, no matter what level. Kia saved some money by farming-out those nice functions over to AA/ACP.

Progress? The Power to Surprise. "Surprise!"

Sunglasses holder up top? Gone too? One thing I liked about my Souls is they ALL had grab handles, vanity lights, and shades hideout, no matter the trim level. I doubt they saved fitty bucks by deleting those other gizmos, the price drops to almost nothing when they're included in ALL vehicles. Simplifies production.

Hopefully they'll see the light and bring back some of that stuff for 2021 or 2020 1/2 even. I won't hold my breath.
    GeoSoul likes this.
    2017 Soul auto, Konig Control, BFG 225.55.16 G-Force Comp2 A/S. Winter 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80.

Hidden Content

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Sunglasses holder up top? Gone too? One thing I liked about my Souls is they ALL had grab handles, vanity lights, and shades hideout, no matter the trim level. I doubt they saved fitty bucks by deleting those other gizmos, the price drops to almost nothing when they're included in ALL vehicles. Simplifies production.

Hopefully they'll see the light and bring back some of that stuff for 2021 or 2020 1/2 even. I won't hold my breath.
    Are you serious Neatherthal? They took out the sunglass holder too? Wow, that got past me.

I'd like to think that each generation is an "evolution," building on the previous. You know, like from Gen1 to Gen2. They must have a "new team" in charge of the Gen3 Soul, the folks who figured a much smaller glove box & removal of that rear nifty under-floor storage divider were the ticketed items for 2020. Brilliant!
    Last edited by GeoSoul; 05-26-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Drives
    2016 Kia Soul SX Lux Titanium
    I too am not happy that stuff has been dropped in the 2020 models, I will particularly miss the folding mirrors, the underfloor storage, and the small sunroof replacing the panoramic roof all of which I have in in my 2016 SX LUX. However from the bean counters point of view every dollar saved times maybe a million cars = $1million.

Makes sense to them not us.

Pat.
    Buzz and GeoSoul like this.
    2016Soul SX luxury.
    Mods so far
    Side skirts
    Spoiler.
    Door visors.
    Enkie Lusso 18"x7.5 Rims.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)