Gen3 2.0L vs Gen2 2.0L

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deejaydead

Thread: Gen3 2.0L vs Gen2 2.0L

Gen3 2.0L vs Gen2 2.0L

It seems like the Gen3 2.0L is a downgrade from 2019. Anyone else drive both and have any opinions? From the specs it seems like the 2019 is more powerful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020LX
    More powerful as HP ratings go but not necessarily faster as another member pointed out.
    While I thought the previous 6 speed auto was a fine piece of equipment, I am equally impressed with the new C.V.T. as well.
    Something I never thought I would think or say!
    I was rocking a 2012 so I'm sure there were numerous improvements between 2012 and 2019 but I believe the power plants were the same with the exception of the turbo model.
    Last edited by The Sradiator; Today at 07:08 PM.
    Are We Not Men?

Junior Soul
    Drives
    GT-Line Turbo/2020/Neptune Blu
    The new engine uses an atkinson cycle, instead of the otto cycle (what most people are used to in a piston driven engine). This means it was built for efficiency at the cost of power density.
    This is NOT a bad thing though. You have more hp available across a wider range of engine speeds than the old engine, even though the older engine had a higher peak output. Throw in the IVT (cvt), and the 2020 2.0 IVT soul is quicker than the 2019 2.0 with the 6 speed auto (a tenth of a second to 60, which is a lot more than it sounds). And you get better mileage.
    If horsepower is really a want, there is always the turbo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info, I'm currently debating between a 2019 Plus with Primo and Audio (good deals now that 2020 is out) vs the 2020. I'd live the turbo by have concerns about the DCT.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    GT-Line Turbo/2020/Neptune Blu
    Any way you go will be a good choice.
    I love the dct, some have had issues with it, and some think it's a bit 'jerky'. Just keep in mind, it does not drive like a standard auto.
    Whatever you do decide to go with, I'd say drive it as much as possible before buying to make sure it's what you want it to be.
    GeoSoul likes this.

Drives
    2020 GT-line Limited white
    Quote Originally Posted by Compsciexpert View Post
    It seems like the Gen3 2.0L is a downgrade from 2019. Anyone else drive both and have any opinions? From the specs it seems like the 2019 is more powerful.
    I had the 2016 SX with the 2.0L and was worried about the drop in HP, it was much ado about nothing. The 2020 gives nothing away in performance and actually feels much more peppy. I am happy with my choice.

Pat.
    2020 Soul GT-LINE LTD

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    I think it really depends on the buyers perspective. Also, telling a new Gen 3 buyer they just bought a downgrade is stepping into "oil" territory

My struggle in going to Gen 3 is how much it has been decontented. Several reviewers have said the same (so it's not just me).

There's another thread on all the things that have been subtracted from the Gen 2 Soul since it's inception (when it came out in 2014 it was pretty much loaded with cool things that slowly disappeared), think the "Whole Shabang" package.

Many of the missing items have been replaced cost-wise with nannies. Many people don't like or want the nannies, but it's a personal preference. The missing grab handle for the driver, leaving the indentation in the headliner, is blatant cheapness.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)