Hey all, new 2020 S owner here

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By bbslider001
  • 1 Post By The Sradiator
  • 1 Post By seanz0rz
  • 1 Post By conwelpic
  • 1 Post By The Sradiator
  • 2 Post By Shaggy Wierdo

Thread: Hey all, new 2020 S owner here

Hey all, new 2020 S owner here

Hey fellas and gals, coming over form the Gen 2 side. Just traded 2015 and picked up a 2020 S model. I am stoked. It is head and shoulders above the Gen 2 IMO. Now to do some reading and get some knowledge. Anyone know if these are still a GDI setup? My sales guy didn't know. I'll do some research.
    seanz0rz likes this.
    2000 Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel, Slightly Modded
    2020 KIA Soul "S" 2.0
    2010 K-Z Toyhauler 37 FK

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020LX
    Quote Originally Posted by bbslider001 View Post
    Hey fellas and gals, coming over form the Gen 2 side. Just traded 2015 and picked up a 2020 S model. I am stoked. It is head and shoulders above the Gen 2 IMO. Now to do some reading and get some knowledge. Anyone know if these are still a GDI setup? My sales guy didn't know. I'll do some research.
    G.D.I. went bye-bye...Say Hellooooo to M.P.I.
    bbslider001 likes this.
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    '20 Soul EX DC Neptune Blue
    My salesman didn't even know what packages were available for the Soul. Absolutely laughable!

Welcome to the 3rd gen! I am really enjoying mine! The MPI I think is a good move for Kia. The DI engines have some serious carbon buildup problems.
    bbslider001 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    at my local dealership the sales guys have little detail reference booklet they can use if they don't know the answer.

If I may, I can expand on Sradiator's comment with a bit more detail on the engine: (from dealer info)

engine type: 2.0L Nu Atkinson
    Displacement: 1999 cc
    Valvetrain: 4-valves per cylinder, dual over-head came (DOHC), dual cam variable valve timing (D-CVVT)
    Compression ratio: 12.5:1
    HP: 147 @ 6200 rpm
    Torque: 132 @ 4500 rpm
    Fuel system: MPI (multi point injection)
    Required fuel: regular unleaded recommended
    Estimated fuel economy - 5 cycle testing - L/100km (city/highway/combined): 8.6/7.1/7.9
    Last edited by conwelpic; Yesterday at 04:32 PM.
    bbslider001 likes this.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Drives
    2020LX
    Quote Originally Posted by seanz0rz View Post
    My salesman didn't even know what packages were available for the Soul. Absolutely laughable!

Welcome to the 3rd gen! I am really enjoying mine! The MPI I think is a good move for Kia. The DI engines have some serious carbon buildup problems.

Much to my surprise the silky smoooooth C.V.T/I.V.T. is one of my favorite features of our 2020 soul.
    Worlds better than anything I have driven.
    Not that I have driven that many mind you but smooth & quiet none the less.
    Appears to have given the now de-tuned 2.0 some extra spunk.
    I can only imagine how great the 164hp version would have been with this C.V.T. bolted to it.
    Personally...I'll make the HP concession for loss of the G.D.I. set up!
    bbslider001 likes this.
    Are We Not Men?

This is very pleasing to hear!! It's definitely ok to post all the engine info. I like to know as much as I can about my new purchase. I guess I could have researched more, but I liked it, so I went with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2000 Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel, Slightly Modded
    2020 KIA Soul "S" 2.0
    2010 K-Z Toyhauler 37 FK

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    We seem to forget the original 2.0 was a MPI set up. The main difference, which I have not been able to completely verify, is that the new 2.0 MPI is an Atkinson cycle engine. Here is an explanation of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle . Of course, if I am a little or a lot wrong here, I am sure Conwelpic will let us know. He is our QA arbiter on this forum
    bbslider001 and seanz0rz like this.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Wierdo View Post
    We seem to forget the original 2.0 was a MPI set up. The main difference, which I have not been able to completely verify, is that the new 2.0 MPI is an Atkinson cycle engine. Here is an explanation of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle . Of course, if I am a little or a lot wrong here, I am sure Conwelpic will let us know. He is our QA arbiter on this forum
    ooohhh Shaggy the pressure, putting me on a pedestal

did you not read post #4 . the engine first came out in 2012 at a MPI - same series engine (Nu) as in the 2020 model
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Elder Soul
    Drives
    2017 Soul Auto, titanium.
    Unfortunately it's a given that sales guys don't know. Much about anything but BS.

I've actually run into a couple over the years who knew more than zero percent zero down. I mentioned the Gamma, I believe (could've been Beta), he knew what it was and was surprised that a customer would know what the Gamma mill was. Otherwise they'll probably think you're talking about your grandma.
    2017 Soul auto, Konig Control, BFG 225.55.16 G-Force Comp2 A/S. Winter 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80.

Hidden Content

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    Quote Originally Posted by conwelpic View Post
    ...ooohhh Shaggy the pressure, putting me on a pedestal...did you not read post #4...
    Yes, but the point was the differences between the 2.0 MPI in the 2012/2013 and the 2.0 MPI in the 2020.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)