Proud owner of new '20 Soul LX - Second Soul

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Proud owner of new '20 Soul LX - Second Soul

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2020 Soul LX Automatic - Gray

Proud owner of new '20 Soul LX - Second Soul

It's just me. (Again) We traded our trusty '13 Soul Base Automatic in this morning on a new '20 Soul LX Automatic - Gravity Gray. I used to work at the local Kia dealer until I quit to take care of mom before she passed last year. So, the manager gave me a great trade in on my '13 (even with 93K miles the interior was like new and all maintenance was up to date and logged), discounted the MSRP (no "Bump" stickers), and I had $1,900 in rebates without financing.

I wrote earlier on another thread about my test drive impressions, so you know I like it. Today, the salesman hooked up my wife's phone and showed us Android Auto. Pretty impressive! "Find an Italian restaurant." Done. "Find a gas station." Done "Play Lawrence Welk polka music." Done! "Show me directions to Gettysburg National Battlefield Visitors Center." Done. "What will the local weather be tomorrow?" Done.

Drives nice, especially the smooth IVT, and my wife says the seats are much more comfortable than the '13, which was her favorite car EVER!

One little nit-noid I discovered today. I had 2 spare keys made (no transponder in at least the LX version so cheapo duplicates work), but then I discovered there is no visible key hole in the door handle. They showed me how to pull the handle and slip the key in a slot underneath to pop off the cover. WHY??? Yes, maybe a key hole ruins the aesthetics but come on - who would really notice. I thought I found a solution - the LX manual transmission does not have remote entry (according to the website) so they must have a key hole. I could buy a gray cover and replace it. However, it looks like all the manuals come with black door handles. Oh well.

I will be ordering a set of Sportwing bodyside moldings soon before the first ding. Link: https://www.sportwing.com/Exterior-A...y-Side-Molding

Still - 99% satisfied is a pretty good rating. Looking forward to many years of fun with this one, too.

Proud owner of new '20 Soul LX - Second Soul-008med.jpg
    US Air Force, MSgt, Retired
    Pianist/Organist - Wesley United Methodist Church
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    GTLine Turbo ’20 Snow White
    Congrats and Happy cruising!!
    pnoman likes this.
    2020 GT Line Turbo
    Wooooosh!! LOL

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    Wow, good looking car. No nannies in this model either, is there? There are a few differences but this is the model I would probably get if I were to get one. Just wondering if you can keep up with any differences or omissions on the 2020 as compared to the 2013 other than the sirius radio? Inquiring minds want to know. My 2013 base auto has less than 50K on it so it probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon. We will see.
    pnoman likes this.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Wierdo View Post
    Wow, good looking car. No nannies in this model either, is there? There are a few differences but this is the model I would probably get if I were to get one. Just wondering if you can keep up with any differences or omissions on the 2020 as compared to the 2013 other than the sirius radio? Inquiring minds want to know. My 2013 base auto has less than 50K on it so it probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon. We will see.
    Correct - no nannies like lane assist or auto braking. That's why I bought this LX now.

Besides the major mechanical differences (2.0 Multi-Port vs 1.6 Direct Injection and IVT vs 6-Speed-Auto), this is what I noticed so far:

LX still uses plastic wheel covers and steel wheels, but 16-inch
    No Sirius channel on radio, but we don't use that anyhow.
    Added Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
    Mini Spare tire is standard instead of Fix-A-Flat.
    I miss the flat tray at the top of the center dash, by the clock - I used to mount the GPS there. No flat surface on new dash, will have to mount on lower windshield.
    Engine Stop/Start is standard, but easy to turn off each time you start with button above left knee.
    Seats seem more padded and more lower back support.
    Still only 1 USB port and 2 power jacks on console.
    Auto On/Off headlight setting option is standard.
    Still no transponder in key, so you can make cheap duplicates. However, door key-hole is covered and tough to access if you want to use spare.
    No "stuff" pockets on the back on the driver's seat. I used to carry the owners manual there to save glovebox space. It seems like the glovebox is smaller now, so I ended up putting the owners manual upright in the center armrest pocket.
    Still uses "hand-crank" parking brake, not the newfangled electric ones. (Yeah!)
    Backup camera is standard now.
    No "repeater" turn signals on front fenders.
    No bodyside moldings - even thought I thought the '13s moldings were too low.

More to come when I get home from a short trip this week and drive it more.

Last edited by pnoman; 06-26-2019 at 01:31 AM.
    GeoSoul and EssGee like this.
    Hidden Content

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    You sold me at Lawrence Welk Polka! Congrats pnoman on a great trade in & new 2020!

Thanks for your impressions & comparisons too. They help alot.
    pnoman likes this.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Oh, I forgot - there is a setting to show the actual tire pressures for each tire. No more standing out in the rain with a tire gauge. Nice!
    Hidden Content

Drives
    2020 Soul EX/2016 Chevy SS
    Congrats. Good luck with your new whip. Those side molding pieces would be tempting, but I see so many different door shapes that the other cars around me would have to have flat doors in order for those to provide me with protection.
    pnoman likes this.

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"
    Congrats on the new ride!

You forgot, "NO CD Player"! No big deal for most of us.

I assume by now you found out how to go from digital speed readout to Trip Meter (both A and B) and how to reset 'B'. That's all done with the little "OK" button on the steering wheel.

OH, and if that LCD screen ON all the time, bugs you, you can shut it off (Kill it) by holding in the Radio ON/OFF button for several seconds.

And last but not least,,,, if pushing that ISG OFF button every time you get in the car, bugs you, just push it in and then stuff a piece of Card Stock in beside the switch, to hold it in. ISG is then effectively disabled.

Enjoy!

Last edited by FLHamster; 06-26-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    pnoman and Shaggy Wierdo like this.
    Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

Drives
    2020LX
    Pno...Simplicity, price and the reliability of our 2012 were the driving forces in the purchase of out 2020 mars orange lx.
    After owning the 2012 there are likes/dislikes in the 2020.
    A nicer car overall and that is to be expected.
    The C.V.T. is way better than I thought it would be and the car is surprisingly quick despite the reduction in hp.
    Ride is greatly improved and the seats are definitely more comfortable.
    Some cost cutting measure (voice dialing, keyhole emission) were unwelcome changes.
    I actually paid less for our 2020 then I did my 2012 (LX vs +) so that was surely a welcome change!
    A nicer car overall with that ever present quirkiness that has made a soul what it is.
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    2020LX
    On a related note and it was my wife who actually pointed it out...
    The LX is so well laid out and devoid of any excessive gimmicks and gadgetry that is feels somewhat "cheap" and I have to agree.
    Maybe much like the German cars were, functional and to the point and I guess that is what the soul is.
    One thing they missed the mark on was the toy like feeling of the steering wheel.
    It really should have been made or at least covered in a better material.
    Feels like the steering wheel you would find on a home game console.
    pnoman, EssGee and FLHamster like this.
    Are We Not Men?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)