How Fast? or What'll she do?

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How Fast? or What'll she do?

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"

Cool How Fast? or What'll she do?

Years ago, whenever I'd get a new car, all my gear-head friends would ask, "What'll she do?". That was just standard procedure.

That seems to be one more thing that has gone the way of the Dynaflow. No-one asks me that anymore.

I may not ask that question, but I'm still curious, "What'll she do?"

My little 2020 Soul, 2.0L, IVT, promptly kicked me up to 110 mph out on I-75 this evening on my way home from town. I'm fairly certain she would have given me more, but I ran out of space. lol

When I bought this car, the salesman told me that she should be able to do 130 mph. Possible?

If y'all get some good numbers, please post them here.

Thanks,
    FLH
    y2krtaf likes this.
    Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020LX
    Trying to beat folks to the buffet again?
    SteveMW and phunky.buddha like this.
    Are We Not Men?

Intermediate Soul Clear White Soul's Avatar
    Drives
    2016 Soul +/AT/2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHamster View Post
    Years ago, whenever I'd get a new car, all my gear-head friends would ask, "What'll she do?". That was just standard procedure.

That seems to be one more thing that has gone the way of the Dynaflow. No-one asks me that anymore.

I may not ask that question, but I'm still curious, "What'll she do?"

My little 2020 Soul, 2.0L, IVT, promptly kicked me up to 110 mph out on I-75 this evening on my way home from town. I'm fairly certain she would have given me more, but I ran out of space. lol

When I bought this car, the salesman told me that she should be able to do 130 mph. Possible?

If y'all get some good numbers, please post them here.

Thanks,
    FLH
    Did you happen to check the tachometer at that speed? I was just curious.

I don't expect to ever find out how fast mine will go. (2016 +, 2.0, 164 ponies 6 gear AT, 17" wheels)
    A few decades back it would be mandatory, like you were saying.

One time on an interstate while I was trying to get around a string of semis I hit 90 mph going down hill accidentally, and without much effort. The vehicle seems to go as fast and as quickly as I need, for merging on interstates, and to get out of the way when necessary.

I wonder when I became old (mature?)? Is fun and excitement (Yee Haw! ) a distant memory?

Just a thought or three.
    Last edited by Clear White Soul; 06-22-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    mikewo6o likes this.
    Bouncing off the guardrails on the highway of life.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020LX
    Not since driving my Kawasaki ZX11 to an indicated 177 mph have I felt the need to see "what she'll do"
    Cameras & cops are everywhere, drivers and roads here in NY are worse than ever and insurance companies are just looking for a reason to raise your rates.
    I'm not looking to give them any excuse to!
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    GTLine Turbo ’20 Snow White
    Have not checked to see what the speed rating is on the current itre offerings,but typically speed is governed accordingly.
    phunky.buddha likes this.
    2020 GT Line Turbo
    Wooooosh!! LOL

Drives
    2019 M/T base
    Top speed is less of an indicator of performance than acceleration, such as 0-60 time, due to engine speed regulators
    My 2014 Honda CB1100 was 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and would pull over 100 up a 8% grade at 8,000 feet elevation, but was speed limited to about 112 MPH.
    My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 V6 would do about 120 MPH, but my 2007 Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi standard cab short bed would only do about 107 MPH...the latter due to a speed limiter.

My 2019 Soul base will get to 90 quick enough during passing, beyond that it does not matter to me, as max speed in Arizona is 75 and in Utah 80 and I rarely cruise more than 5 MPH over the speed limit. Short bursts to check capability are only in remote areas.

How Fast? or What'll she do?-3-west-highway-375.jpg
    How Fast? or What'll she do?-4-rachel-nevada.jpg
    How Fast? or What'll she do?-6-west-rachel.jpg
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 06-22-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    deejaydead likes this.
    Stock + cruise control

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    16 Soul base black
    Quote Originally Posted by y2krtaf View Post
    Have not checked to see what the speed rating is on the current itre offerings,but typically speed is governed accordingly.
    The tire ratings from the factory typically exceed the top speed of the car itself... and the ratings are really only a measure of surviving the rated speed for an hour under certain laboratory conditions against a roller with a specific load, temperature, blah blah blah. General guide.

But so far the '16 Soul hasn't had any issues going up to 110- no idea where the limiter is.

08 Frontier is electronically limited to 110, but taller tires now should theoretically take that to 117-118, but no reason to try.

03 S2000 would get to stupid speeds stock.

17 BRZ can get to stupid speeds stock, but not as fast as the S2000.

95 Civic would do 150+, and my math put the top speed at a theoretical 166mph, but I never got on enough track to try that.

90 CRX top speed right now is a whopping zero mph with the engine not hooked up.

As far as speed limits, we roll to 85mph on the signs south and west of San Antonio on the interstates and tollways, so you can imagine that people are regularly cruising above 100mph for long periods of time, or even worse camping the left lane at 70.
    Engineer/techy guy. 90 CRX, 08 Frontier, 16 Soul, 17 BRZ. All stick.

Drives
    2019 M/T base
    Quote Originally Posted by phunky.buddha View Post
    The tire ratings from the factory typically exceed the top speed of the car itself....
    The stock Korean Kuhmo tires on my 2019 base are rated 92H.
    92 = weight capacity of 1,385 pounds
    S = speed rating of 130 MPH

I saw 100 on the speedo only once, up a slight grade in 6th gear and slowly climbing.
    May have hit 105, maybe 110, but it would have taken longer than I wanted to hold that speed.

On my CB1100, some of my rides were with a friend on a 2008 Vrod.
    On two lanes in the desert, such as highway 93 north of Las Vegas, when we overtook a big rig, I would let him go around and as he started to pull back into the truck's lane, I would crank the throttle, in 6th gear and go from 70 to 105 before clearing the truck, then I was on the brakes to not overtake my friend and back down to ~75.

In the Soul, downshift to 5th (4th in a panic) and maybe hit 90 clearing the truck with a normally aspirated 1.6L works for me.
    Stock + cruise control

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    16 Soul base black
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    The stock Korean Kuhmo tires on my 2019 base are rated 92H.
    92 = weight capacity of 1,385 pounds
    S = speed rating of 130 MPH
    Got the speed rating right, just not the letter... H is 130, S is 112. I'll have to look at my factory Nexens when my wife gets back from Arkansas. I'm sure they're H rated too.
    I saw 100 on the speedo only once, up a slight grade in 6th gear and slowly climbing.
    May have hit 105, maybe 110, but it would have taken longer than I wanted to hold that speed.
    In the Soul, downshift to 5th (4th in a panic) and maybe hit 90 clearing the truck with a normally aspirated 1.6L works for me.
    110 for me in the Soul was on a flat, and that little 1.6 does surprisingly well in the upper revs. It really only starts to crawl once you get past 105.
    On my CB1100, some of my rides were with a friend on a 2008 Vrod.
    On two lanes in the desert, such as highway 93 north of Las Vegas, when we overtook a big rig, I would let him go around and as he started to pull back into the truck's lane, I would crank the throttle, in 6th gear and go from 70 to 105 before clearing the truck, then I was on the brakes to not overtake my friend and back down to ~75.
    Yeah passing on a bike, way easier, but also trickier since you're a much tinier blip to a big truck!
    Engineer/techy guy. 90 CRX, 08 Frontier, 16 Soul, 17 BRZ. All stick.

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"
    [QUOTE=The Sradiator;1271805]Trying to beat folks to the buffet again?[/QUOT
    Nope, just going home.
    Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)