Disharmonious Harmonics

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Disharmonious Harmonics

Drives
    2020LX

Disharmonious Harmonics

So...I was driving home last nite with the drivers side window down at about 60 mph on our local highway.
    I prefer the window down over air conditioning when possible.
    I found the wind noise (buffeting?) inside the cabin to be so odd and disturbing that I was forced to open the passenger side window for relief.
    This is something I never experience in our old soul in 7 years of ownership.
    The harmonics created by the cars revised shape has made for a most disturbing ride with only 1 window opened.
    It really was that bad!
    Has anyone else experienced such disturbing behavior from their beloved soul or is it simply old age getting a hold of me?
    Last edited by The Sradiator; 06-18-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    Are We Not Men?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Yes. Gen2 harmonics sound similar. At higher speeds the buffeting can lead to insanity.

You have to find just the right formula of "crack openness" for comfort.

FWIW, this is common in most all small SUVs. Not just a Soul-thing.

Drives
    2020LX
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post
    Yes. Gen2 harmonics sound similar. At higher speeds the buffeting can lead to insanity.

You have to find just the right formula of "crack openness" for comfort.

FWIW, this is common in most all small SUVs. Not just a Soul-thing.
    I never noticed in in 7 years of ownership in our 2012.
    How can that be possible?
    No question though...the noise I experienced last nite was akin to Chinese water torture only it would be Korean wind torture instead.
    It was That Bad!
    Are We Not Men?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    I agree. I'd never experienced that in my life, but I owned sedans. I've ridden in an HR-V, Rav4 & Sportage now that do the exact same thing.

I think the wind gets trapped in the back and works to blow your eardrums out.

Drives
    2020LX
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post
    I agree. I'd never experienced that in my life, but I owned sedans. I've ridden in an HR-V, Rav4 & Sportage now that do the exact same thing.

I think the wind gets trapped in the back and works to blow your eardrums out.
    I was about to resort to this for wind deflection:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disharmonious Harmonics-foilhat.jpg  
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sradiator View Post
    So...I was driving home last nite with the drivers side window down at about 60 mph on our local highway.
    I prefer the window down over air conditioning when possible.
    I found the wind noise (buffeting?) inside the cabin to be so odd and disturbing that I was forced to open the passenger side window for relief.
    This is something I never experience in our old soul in 7 years of ownership.
    The harmonics created by the cars revised shape has made for a most disturbing ride with only 1 window opened.
    It really was that bad!
    Has anyone else experienced such disturbing behavior from their beloved soul or is it simply old age getting a hold of me?
    Every car I've had since 2000 did the same thing. Roll down the driver's side window and Wop, Wop, Wop sound was like someone hitting you up side the head with a pillow. Arggg!

My 2013 Soul was exactly like that. So with a lot of experimenting, I finally found out that if I lower the passenger side REAR window, that stopped that buffeting. The drivers window can be as much as 50% lowered and the back window should be down about 4". That allows for good Flow-Through ventilation. Lowering the front passenger side window, just seems to exacerbate the problem.

FLH

PS: I was able to fill up my gas tank this morning at one of our new Wawa stations, for just $2.31 per gallon for regular unleaded gas. Looking at gas prices across town this morning, it looks like we're having a little GAS WAR! Bring it on!!!
    Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

Drives
    2020LX
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHamster View Post
    Every car I've had since 2000 did the same thing. Roll down the driver's side window and Wop, Wop, Wop sound was like someone hitting you up side the head with a pillow. Arggg!

My 2013 Soul was exactly like that. So with a lot of experimenting, I finally found out that if I lower the passenger side REAR window, that stopped that buffeting. The drivers window can be as much as 50% lowered and the back window should be down about 4". That allows for good Flow-Through ventilation. Lowering the front passenger side window, just seems to exacerbate the problem.

FLH

PS: I was able to fill up my gas tank this morning at one of our new Wawa stations, for just $2.31 per gallon for regular unleaded gas. Looking at gas prices across town this morning, it looks like we're having a little GAS WAR! Bring it on!!!

I can't believe I've never experienced this?
    Maybe it was waxy build up or I'm just a $hit-head as so many have suggested?
    I'll give it a try hamster and see how it works out.
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"
    Thanks buddy!
    I can only guarantee that it works fine for me. You may have to fiddle some with the drivers window to get just the right air flow and keep the noise down.

OH, someone mentioned that their Drivers Side Window button didn't have that Auto-Down feature. My 2013 Base Soul had it, and my new 2020 Soul LX (base model) has it. I just checked that out this morning.

OH, and the card stock I jammed in beside the ISG button is still in place and my motor keeps right on running when I stop at a stop light. (Ref. OM, page 5-98)
    You (or others) may just Love the ISG feature, but it was driving me crazy and my dealer said there was NO WAY to permanently defeat the feature. OH YES? That's what they think! lol

They haven't come up against FLH ingenuity yet! lol

Cheers Mate,
    FLH

PS: Getting to the back of that switch, and installing a shorting wire across the switch would defeat the ISG feature permanently. However I'm pretty certain that if Kia found that wire, they could VOID the warranty. It's easy to pull out the card stock from beside the switch whenever the car goes to the dealership, for Oil Changes, etc. Thus, avoiding the Warranty question.
    Last edited by FLHamster; 06-20-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    .....awe you're getting old...........adjust accordingly
    Last edited by conwelpic; 06-18-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Drives
    2020LX
    Personally...I am Not a fan of I.S.G. or most anything with 3 letter designation. (I.S.G, D.C.T, G.D.I...)
    FLHamster likes this.
    Are We Not Men?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)