Short test drive today - '20 base LX automatic

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Short test drive today - '20 base LX automatic

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2013 Base 1.6 Auto (Silver)

Short test drive today - '20 base LX automatic

My wife and I are thinking of trading in our trusty '13 Soul (Base, Automatic) that has 93K miles on it. Except for some small rock chips up front and small bump from a hit&run moron in the grocery store parking lot, it still runs and looks like new. That is why we are hesitant to trade.

However, like any sheet-metal and rubber appliance, there comes a point where we will have to start putting in money for repairs. With the powertrain warranty ending soon, that means $$ out of pocket.

We decided to look at another Base model (now called LX) automatic. We like the base because it does not have the electronic safety nannies (lane assist and forward collision braking) that so many cars are getting standard now. (Even the middle and upper level Souls have them. Ugh!)

Here's my thoughts after a 10-mile test drive and 30 minutes checking it out:

Like:

Still has big windows, excellent visibility.
    Still has same basic layout as our '13, so my wife felt "at home" right away.
    Front seats seem to have more lower back support and better overall comfort.
    CVT - Oops, IVT - "shifted" smoothly and was very transparent. ALSO - I noted in the owner's manual that there is no recommended fluid change for the IVT. Looks like lifetime fluid, even though I would probably change at 60K-75K miles.
    2.0 engine had plenty of power.
    I reset the trip meter before driving, and my short stop&go and heavy acceleration showed 29MPG.
    I don't like Engine Stop-Start, but I'm glad they put an "Off" switch by your left knee where it's easy to touch every time you start up.
    SO VERY GLAD they did not put the Lane Assist on the base model. I don't a car pulling itself in the opposite direction I intend.
    Struts on the hood.
    Glad to see they went back to Multi-Port Fuel Injection. I've had no problems with our GDI, but MPFI is simpler and more proven.
    Glad to see the base model uses regular headlights and not LED. We have LED headlights on our '19 Subaru Forester and there is a very distinct cut-off line, above which it is pitch black. Before we buy a '20 Soul, I will definitely take it overnight for a headlight check.
    Spare tire - not a can of Fix-A-Flat!

Not so sure:

No more mic to make phone calls via voice commands, unless you plug in your phone with USB cable. Problem: we have all of our music on a thumb-drive and there is only one USB outlet. Salespeople were not sure if multi-plug adapter would work.
    Only 3 overhead grab handles above the doors. What happened to the driver's handle???
    No bodyside molding available to protect that huge chunk of real estate just waiting for a stray swinging door.
    Rear bumper cover by the license plate area seemed very flimsy.
    No "repeater lights" on front fender for turn signals.
    Not sure if I like the idea of expensive headlights hanging that low on the front end. Our town has a lot of the cement "bump-stops" in the parking lots and some are high enough to just catch the underside of the front bumper. If I catch the bumper on one of these either pulling in or backing out, that could be an expensive repair.
    Cargo area floor covering was thin and looks like it would collapse into the spare-tire well if anything was put on it.

SUMMARY: Since it seems like the age of Electronic Nannies is upon us, we will probably get one of the '20 Base Automatics this summer while we can still get a car that doesn't want to drive itself.

Anyone in the market for a nice '13? No smoking - No pets. All seats covered and like new. New brakes and fluid flush. Trans and coolant flushes at 60K. LOL

Last edited by pnoman; 06-11-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    mikewo6o likes this.
    US Air Force, MSgt, Retired
    Pianist/Organist - Wesley United Methodist Church
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020LX & 2012+
    I share the same sentiment with most of your points here.
    The low mounted and somewhat susceptible headlights did dawn upon me after the purchase however.
    I really miss the voice command dialing more than any other electronic gadgetry.
    I don't miss the "self driving" electronics and that's why I too decided upon the LX model.
    With progress comes concessions I am afraid.
    Car makers see to know what we want before we do, or so they think!
    All in all though, I think the car has evolved nicely.
    I am pleasantly surprised with the I.V.T.
    If you didn't know...you wouldn't know and that is a true sign of positive progress!
    pnoman likes this.
    Are We Not Men?

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    Quote Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
    Anyone in the market for a nice '13? No smoking - No pets. All seats covered and like new. New brakes and fluid flush. Trans and coolant flushes at 60K. LOL
    Since you are in warranty, go first and do any of the free engine recalls (it's one ongoing for the 1.6L), regardless if you will get the new car or not.

What I like on the 2020 2.0L model - they did away with the Direct Gasoline Injection that created so many problems in the previous years.
    What I don't like on the 2020 model - transmission. Is the first year Soul with a CVT, second year of that specific transmission, in-house design (Kia Forte 2019). In my experience, the first/second year might still have bugs, I would wait for the next year.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 06-11-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    So it goes...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"
    Did you NOT get the KIA Recall notice on that car of yours, because of a problem with the motor, that could result in a new motor?

I did and that prompted me to trade for the 2020 LX. That, and the metal 'chunks' on the magnetic drain plug, the last time I changed my oil.

It may be a very good time to trade up to the 2020 LX.

You didn't mention MPG, but on my new LX, I'm getting really good MPG, better than I normally got on my 2013 Base.
    I also find it more stable in turns (better suspension) and quieter too, with better soundproofing.

And, the larger gas tank means that I'm getting over 300 miles per fill-up. The Trip Meter not only shows miles traveled, but the average mpg for that trip as well. I'm getting 34+ MPG for most of my trips.

Good Luck, and please keep us informed about your trade.

FLH
    Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHamster View Post
    Did you NOT get the KIA Recall notice on that car of yours, because of a problem with the motor, that could result in a new motor?

I did and that prompted me to trade for the 2020 LX. That, and the metal 'chunks' on the magnetic drain plug, the last time I changed my oil.

It may be a very good time to trade up to the 2020 LX.

You didn't mention MPG, but on my new LX, I'm getting really good MPG, better than I normally got on my 2013 Base.
    I also find it more stable in turns (better suspension) and quieter too, with better soundproofing.

And, the larger gas tank means that I'm getting over 300 miles per fill-up. The Trip Meter not only shows miles traveled, but the average mpg for that trip as well. I'm getting 34+ MPG for most of my trips.

Good Luck, and please keep us informed about your trade.

FLH
    Greetings! Yes, I did the recall - no new engine for me. Boo hoo.

My 29MPG was on a 10-mile loop with about 3 miles of interstate (with a fast acceleration up the uphill ramp) , and the rest was suburban stop and go with a few quick starts. Considering that, I was very surprised that I got that much. My '13 averages in the low 20s around town like that.

Kia has a $500 Owner Loyalty rebate, so I need to still own it when I get the '20. I guess I could wait to sell it until after that point, but then I'd be paying insurance on 3 cars. Wife would not be happy with that. (Happy wife = Happy life!) That $500 plus the tax difference with trade-in would make a private sale only about $1,000 better at the most. This way, I would not have to worry about marketing and "joy-riders".

Either way, we're waiting until my wife gets back from Wisconsin in late July to trade.
    Hidden Content

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Soul+ AT/2016/Clear White
    I hate depreciation and so we tend to hold onto our vehicles until they don't have significant value. In the past, we have had a couple of Honda vans ('99 and '06) go until they had 230,000 miles on each (rear end accidents led to their demise), an '01 Accord still going with 225K miles, my father has an '08 Acura going strong with 215K miles. Honda only warranties their drivetrains until 36K/36 months. The amount of money that we had put into the high mileage vehicles over the years was much less than the depreciation hit that we would have taken if we replaced the vehicles at 100K miles--which would still be way beyond the drivetrain warranty.

Since I am only into my 2nd year of KIA ownership I am not too sure of the longevity of them, but I would think that they should go well beyond 150K if properly maintained.

The car salesmen hate people like me, but I would think that it would be reasonable safety wise and fiscally wise to hold onto your Soul even after the warranty expires. Because I purchased my Soul second-hand, I am around 5K miles away from the end of my drivetrain warranty--I am not too concerned, I think the cost of normal things wearing out/routine maintenance is less than depreciation. That being said, it would indeed suck if our vehicles needed any major repairs--at least the Soul has a timing chain and does not require the recurrent expensive timing belt replacement every 105-110K miles that come with Honda ownership.
    jdmartin likes this.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by vangone View Post
    I hate depreciation and so we tend to hold onto our vehicles until they don't have significant value. In the past, we have had a couple of Honda vans ('99 and '06) go until they had 230,000 miles on each (rear end accidents led to their demise), an '01 Accord still going with 225K miles, my father has an '08 Acura going strong with 215K miles. Honda only warranties their drivetrains until 36K/36 months. The amount of money that we had put into the high mileage vehicles over the years was much less than the depreciation hit that we would have taken if we replaced the vehicles at 100K miles--which would still be way beyond the drivetrain warranty.

Since I am only into my 2nd year of KIA ownership I am not too sure of the longevity of them, but I would think that they should go well beyond 150K if properly maintained.

The car salesmen hate people like me, but I would think that it would be reasonable safety wise and fiscally wise to hold onto your Soul even after the warranty expires. Because I purchased my Soul second-hand, I am around 5K miles away from the end of my drivetrain warranty--I am not too concerned, I think the cost of normal things wearing out/routine maintenance is less than depreciation. That being said, it would indeed suck if our vehicles needed any major repairs--at least the Soul has a timing chain and does not require the recurrent expensive timing belt replacement every 105-110K miles that come with Honda ownership.
    I agree. If we were just using the car for around town and short trips, I would run it to the end. However, my wife drives from our home (West Virginia) to visit her family in Wisconsin (620 miles away) about 3x a year. (We both go and I drive the other times.) Sometimes she is driving in nasty weather - summer thunderstorms or winter cold/snow. I want her to have a reliable car, and one we can call roadside assistance and have it towed to Kia and fixed without any worry on her end. She is also much more comfortable driving and parking the Soul compared to our '19 Subaru Forester. Peace of mind - priceless.

The other reason for trading now - if our current Soul dies in, say, 3 or 4 years, I'm guessing by then they will all have that stupid lane-assist stuff (not just the mid- and upper-level models). If we want to get a car we still drive ourselves, the options are getting fewer and fewer each year.
    Last edited by pnoman; 06-12-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    Hidden Content

Drives
    Soul 2013+/2018 1 Million Edit
    ^^^^ at pnoman
    Please don't forget your $400 military discount. I've used mine on both of my Souls.
    pnoman likes this.

Drives
    2013 Base 6 MT Moss Green
    Pshaw - your Soul is just getting broken in. Mine's closing in on 140k miles (2013 manual 1.6) and I'd drive it to California tomorrow if I had any reason to go to California (I don't, but still). I haven't spent 5 cents on my Soul beyond regular maintenance and consumable items in that time, nor have I spent 5 cents on my other Soul (the automatic that my wife drives, 2012).

If you just want a new car, that's one thing, but you'll never make the economics work by convincing yourself it's time to trade. You could easily pay for a cadillac version of roadside assistance and be way ahead of the game than by trading your car in, taking the bath that you're going to take (they'll give you maybe $2-3k for your car) and starting all over with a more expensive vehicle. Especially since you're happy with your current vehicle and will be losing some features you like. Besides, it's not like new cars never break down, either. Also, if you're only going to make that long drive for a week or two you could rent a car and still be way ahead financially.
    Buzz, pnoman, vangone and 1 others like this.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Soul+ AT/2016/Clear White
    If you have the standard warranty, you get 5 years/60K miles of roadside assistance and basic limited warranty. Beyond that time up until 10Y/100K miles you get a limited powertrain warranty which covers the engine, transmission, transaxles, axles, differentials, and propeller shafts. There are many other items that could get damaged that could put a damper on ones roadtrips such as flat tires that are not covered by the standard warranty between 60k-100k miles.

As long as the vehicle is maintained properly and if you have decent roadside assistance (or even the Cadillac coverage that jdmartin noted) through AAA, your insurance company, or third party you should have peace of mind. Our local independent garage offers a pre-trip inspection at a low cost to check brakes/suspension/etc (we have never taken advantage of that though)--something like that could increase peace of mind.

It's your call.
    jdmartin and pnoman like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)