2020 Post Purchase Impressions

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 2020 Post Purchase Impressions

Drives
    2020LX

2020 Post Purchase Impressions

After a day spent with our new 2020 LX, here are some initial impressions.
    1-Love the mars orange color.
    2-Really needs a molding to protect paint and break up HUGE door area.
    3-Kia nailed the C.V.T./I.V.T. (If you didn't know, you wouldn't know)
    4-Ride quality & handling seem greatly improved.
    5-In it's simplicity and function over form approach, it feels cheap in some ways.
    6-Some sacrifices were penny wise-dollar foolish I.M.O..
    (Grab handle, voice dialing, thin spare tire cover, hub caps)
    7-Nice to see a spare back in the trunk again.
    8-Dealer representation STILL seems sketchy even after so many years on the market. (Your results may vary)
    If it's anything like our 2012, reliability wise, I know we will be happy.
    Please feel free to share your likes/dislikes as a new 2020 owner and let us know which model you are critiquing.
    SoNic67 likes this.
    Are We Not Men?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    Mars Orange (called Lunar Orange here in Canada) is my favourite colour of the 2020 lineup, but I have yet to see it in person.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Drives
    2020 Soul EX/2016 Chevy SS
    As someone else told me a few days after my purchase, time to update your profile details.....

Of the new features that I'm enjoying is the app based auto start. I can start my car from my office, and by the time I get to my vehicle, it's nice and cool. Not sure how much pricing will be, but I can't see myself paying too much a year for it, as it's a little buggy.

My biggest complaint, the "safety" features that almost caused an accident. The crash avoidance system has twice stopped me right in the middle of the street as I'm exiting my driveway. I sit just outside a school zone, and the cars are generally driving 20-25 MPH, thus I can dart out of my driveway with ample time to get going, but with this safety system, it doesn't take the speed of the other vehicle into consideration, and just locks the front brakes on me. Hopefully, this doesn't become a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The Lane Keep assist is also a little buggy. If I keep it on, it'll bounce me around inside the lanes like a pinball. It constantly tries to correct the steering, and in doing so just bounces in and out. It also takes a lot to override the system while driving, which may make it difficult to use evasive maneuvers if you see something on the road ahead of you (i.e. tire tread, pieces of wood, etc.)

As for another "DOH" (as you refer to as penny-wise, dollar-foolish), the wireless charging area. If you plan on using Android Auto or Apple Carplay, you have to be plugged in. Being plugged in negates the need for a wireless charger. The wireless charging thus is only useful to you if you have a passenger with wireless charging capabilities.
    SoNic67 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Good points TXS! I hadn't thought that whole wireless charging scenario through.

So until they provide bluetooth connectivity for Android Auto & Apple CarPlay, wireless charging is for the most part unnecessary.

Drives
    2020LX
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSSSoul View Post
    As someone else told me a few days after my purchase, time to update your profile details.....

Of the new features that I'm enjoying is the app based auto start. I can start my car from my office, and by the time I get to my vehicle, it's nice and cool. Not sure how much pricing will be, but I can't see myself paying too much a year for it, as it's a little buggy.

My biggest complaint, the "safety" features that almost caused an accident. The crash avoidance system has twice stopped me right in the middle of the street as I'm exiting my driveway. I sit just outside a school zone, and the cars are generally driving 20-25 MPH, thus I can dart out of my driveway with ample time to get going, but with this safety system, it doesn't take the speed of the other vehicle into consideration, and just locks the front brakes on me. Hopefully, this doesn't become a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The Lane Keep assist is also a little buggy. If I keep it on, it'll bounce me around inside the lanes like a pinball. It constantly tries to correct the steering, and in doing so just bounces in and out. It also takes a lot to override the system while driving, which may make it difficult to use evasive maneuvers if you see something on the road ahead of you (i.e. tire tread, pieces of wood, etc.)

As for another "DOH" (as you refer to as penny-wise, dollar-foolish), the wireless charging area. If you plan on using Android Auto or Apple Carplay, you have to be plugged in. Being plugged in negates the need for a wireless charger. The wireless charging thus is only useful to you if you have a passenger with wireless charging capabilities.
    Aside from be being a cheap-a$$ that's EXACTLY why I avoided those self driving ASSistance features.
    I really wanted the "S" models 16 wheels but those accident avoidance systems have been getting less than stellar reviews by the owners.
    (Maltesemommy, you, others)
    I think after 45+ years of motorcycling and cars, I can still look out my window, turn my head and generally figure out what's what without Big brother heavy handing me!
    Last edited by The Sradiator; 05-27-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    pnoman and SoNic67 like this.
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    I agree with TXS & srad. As Consumer Reports just said about Tesla, these half-baked "safety" technologies are being forced on consumers & in many cases be quite dangerous.
    SoNic67 likes this.

Drives
    '20 Soul EX DC Neptune Blue
    I was not super thrilled with the Android Auto experience. I moved back to just streaming my Pandora through bluetooth after a couple of days. I charge my phone all day at work unless I am in the factory, so I rarely need power for my phone. My phone does not have wireless charging, but the next one will.

My biggest complaint so far is the hard steering wheel, even with the "leather wrap", it is still like driving a car from the 60's! Might try my hand at a wheel skin, I had great success with that on my Lexus, but it took over 6 hours to do.

Wish there was a coin tray though. I'll have to 3D print one.

Overall, I am very happy with my EX Designer's Collection. The lane keep assist is fairly useful, although I think all of those things turn you into a worse driver. Blind spot monitoring is nice since the C/D pillar are so big, but I use spot mirrors anyway so it is just a backup safety for me. Wish it had back up sensors, but the camera is extremely clear and good quality.

Drives
    2020LX
    I also like being able to disable the I.S.G. but wish the default was off rather then on.
    I keep neglecting to hit the button at the start of my journey.
    Not a Biggie, just an observation.
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    2020 GT-line Limited white
    Quote Originally Posted by conwelpic View Post
    Mars Orange (called Lunar Orange here in Canada) is my favourite colour of the 2020 lineup, but I have yet to see it in person.
    That would have been one of my colour choices Trevor, but it ain't available on the GT-line. I originally wanted the Red, but there is a white one coming that has my name on it.

Pat.
    2020 Soul GT-LINE LTD

Drives
    2010 Toyota Prius (silver)
    I have to think that at some point a software update will enable that -- the Soul has Bluetooth out of the box, so the hardware to make it work is already present. Would seem pretty clunky for cars in the 2020 model year to have to physically connect to a phone via a cable to access music!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)