GDI vs MPI

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: GDI vs MPI

GDI vs MPI

Hi,
    The early Souls have MPI engines if I'm correct and then they went to GDI engines, which they say Direct Inject engines gives better fuel mpg and more HP?
    But for the 2020 souls I see they went back to MPI?
    Is this a con or a pro?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Welcome kf!

You are a newbie, so you'll find this has been discussed ad nauseum. Try searching "carbon buildup" issues & always check the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom for more like minded chatter.

You can also Google the subject.

In a nutshell, GDI engines, especially early ones, left carbon deposits on the back side of the intake valves, as they spray gas directly into the combustion chamber. MPI sprays behind the valve, cleaning it on the way to the combustion chamber.

While GDI did provide better mileage, the new MPI engines are getting even better, so that argument doesn't seem valid anymore.
    thewerzinator likes this.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    ! /2015/Fathom/Umber
    GDI allows for higher compression since the fuel isn't heated up by crossing over the valve. I'm not sure this matters in a non-turbocharged engine tho

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post
    Welcome kf!

You are a newbie, so you'll find this has been discussed ad nauseum. Try searching "carbon buildup" issues & always check the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom for more like minded chatter.

You can also Google the subject.

In a nutshell, GDI engines, especially early ones, left carbon deposits on the back side of the intake valves, as they spray gas directly into the combustion chamber. MPI sprays behind the valve, cleaning it on the way to the combustion chamber.

While GDI did provide better mileage, the new MPI engines are getting even better, so that argument doesn't seem valid anymore.
    I must admit that I'm not up to speed on MPI engines, so I'm going to ask what may seem like a dumb question......
    Is it still recommended to use Techron in the MPI engine?

Happy Trails!

Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHamster View Post
    I must admit that I'm not up to speed on MPI engines, so I'm going to ask what may seem like a dumb question......
    the answer should be in the maintenance section of your owners manual.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    ...Is it still recommended to use Techron in the MPI engine?...
    In its previous incarnation, the MPI engine was still recommended with Tier 1 gas or run the Techron through . I know that you did not have one of these but I did and it seems to me it was there. Since I go out of my way to get tier 1 gas, I don't do that,
    Buzz and SportsterDoc like this.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2020 Soul LX Automatic - Gray

Happy Trails!

I'll throw in my 2 cents and say "YES". Even if you use Top-Tier gas, Techron will help keep the injectors and intake valves even cleaner with MPI. The intakes will get the full benefit of cleaning that the GDI engines miss.

It's cheap insurance for a $20K+ investment. Even 3 bottles a year is less than $15. I spend more than that on soda every month.

deejaydead, GeoSoul and FLHamster like this.
    US Air Force, MSgt, Retired
    Pianist/Organist - Wesley United Methodist Church
    Hidden Content

Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
    I'll throw in my 2 cents and say "YES". Even if you use Top-Tier gas, Techron will help keep the injectors and intake valves even cleaner with MPI. The intakes will get the full benefit of cleaning that the GDI engines miss.

It's cheap insurance for a $20K+ investment. Even 3 bottles a year is less than $15. I spend more than that on soda every month.

Only three bottles a year? You must be a low mileage driver. But anyway, thanks for your 2 cents worth. Any info at all is always appreciated here.

With a larger gas tank on the 2020, when I go to get my Techron, I think I'll buy the LARGE bottle. And I'll be adding it every three months at the very least. In three weeks, I've already got about 1300 miles on my new Soul.

Kia is paying for my first two years of oil changes and I've established with my service dept that I'll see them every three months at the outside. And, I'll be putting a bottle of Techron in the gas tank with every oil change.

I need to talk with my Service Manager, and see if they will install a Magnetic Oil Drain plug if I provide one. Having one in my 2013 Soul, really saved me from an expensive breakdown. When I found iron chunks on the magnet the last time I changed my oil, I traded that car OFF. That week I got the recall from Kia on my 2013 because of an engine problem that could result in a "New Engine".
    Oh well, I got my moneys worth out of that little car. Yes, I drove her like I stole her! And, I really put her feet to the fire, many times, so to speak. And, never once did she ever let me down.

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!

pnoman likes this.

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Hey FL, I've heard it is best to run the bottle of techron through a full tank PRIOR to the oil change. Traces of it gets into the oil pan and you don't want it recirculating through the engine oil until your next change in 3 or 6 months.

Techron doesn't belong in the oil system.

It's posted in a lot of places, here's just one:

https://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/i.../t-252072.html
    Last edited by GeoSoul; 05-23-2019 at 02:35 AM.

Drives
    Yoiks!

Right on, 'I don't want Techron in my oil'.

I always put a bottle of Techron in my gas tank with every oil change in my 2013 with the 1.6L engine. At oil change time the oil was always pitch black. I never equated the color of the oil with the use of Techron. I always just figgered that the blackness was just the oil doing its job of cleaning the engine. I'd be really suspicious of oil that came out clean after being in the engine for 3000+ miles.

Oh, I read that entire thread about the Techron. Velly intelestink! Eh? It was kind of a mixed bag, of tests, results, and opinions. Like most forums.

PS: At 75k miles on my little 1.6L Soul engine, I was seeing "chunks" of metal on my magnetic drain plug.
    KIA put out a recall on that engine, probably for that very problem. I find it hard to believe that Techron, recommended by KIA, could have been the cause of that engine failure. I didn't even answer the 'Recall'.....I just traded that car off for a new one.
    Last edited by FLHamster; 05-23-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    thewerzinator likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)