Any thoughts on the difference in fog lights? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on the difference in fog lights?

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    16 Soul base black
    Quote Originally Posted by sube View Post
    I has nothing to do with having thick skin, but it does have everything to do with inconsiderate dimwits installing LEDs or HIDs in housings they were never designed for. Why do you think the car makers install more expensive housings when they have LED lights or HID lights on the cars. Do you think for one minute if the reflector style headlight was sufficient they wouldn't use them, they would in a heartbeat.

Pat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSSSoul View Post
    Sorry, but if you're going to fly off the handle TWICE, and resort to name calling because I stated that there are plenty of cars that have insanely blinding lights, and that I'm indifferent to the LEDs that I installed on a vehicle THAT I DON'T EVEN OWN ANYMORE, then yes you have some thin skin, and quite frankly some anger issues.

I'm guessing based on your over-reaction, you must have some issues to resolve in real life. May be time to lower your sodium intake, or may be time for you to discuss your employer/significant other/family situation with the person that is making you feel the need to lash out online (for something as petty as me stating that I'm not as concerned with spraying oncoming traffic with light--you're not speaking on behalf of vampires are you?). In other words, stop trying to be the "hero of the headlights", and more importantly, stop trying to indirectly insult me. I'm personally fine with being insulted (I'm not thin skinned, nor anything to prove to anyone online), but the mod staff may not take too kindly to it.
    Yeesh. Whatever the argument, LEDs, halogens, and arc discharge lights like HIDs ALL have different output characteristics, and are NOT compatible in housings that were designed for other light types. It annoys the hell out of me when I see aftermarket HIDs in halogen reflector housings and they blind me off the road, PLUS it's illegal per NHTSA rules. It truly creates a hazard on the road. Headlight housings are very high precision pieces of engineering, and using the wrong light type in them can create major problems.
    zerogee and mikewo6o like this.
    Engineer/techy guy. 90 CRX, 08 Frontier, 16 Soul, 17 BRZ. All stick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020 Soul/2016 Chevy SS
    Quote Originally Posted by phunky.buddha View Post
    Yeesh. Whatever the argument, LEDs, halogens, and arc discharge lights like HIDs ALL have different output characteristics, and are NOT compatible in housings that were designed for other light types. It annoys the hell out of me when I see aftermarket HIDs in halogen reflector housings and they blind me off the road, PLUS it's illegal per NHTSA rules. It truly creates a hazard on the road. Headlight housings are very high precision pieces of engineering, and using the wrong light type in them can create major problems.

I actually had mine installed at an auto shop. I don't know if they swapped out the housing or not, but I don't think it's an excuse for some people to fly off the handle. Then again, some people will bitch about anything these days. I could probably post up that I tore off my mattress tags and have some member get all pissy. I guess it's where things are now, everyone wants to get all angry in the privacy of their homes, behind a keyboard. But when it comes to confronting someone in person, people get timid.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    16 Soul base black
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSSSoul View Post
    I actually had mine installed at an auto shop. I don't know if they swapped out the housing or not, but I don't think it's an excuse for some people to fly off the handle. Then again, some people will bitch about anything these days. I could probably post up that I tore off my mattress tags and have some member get all pissy. I guess it's where things are now, everyone wants to get all angry in the privacy of their homes, behind a keyboard. But when it comes to confronting someone in person, people get timid.
    Ripping off mattress tags hurts nobody but yourself, and if you read the tags they usually say not to be removed except by owner. You're the owner. Remove all you want.

Throwing glare in people's eyes and giving yourself a headlight pattern with bad hotspots and dead zones hurts you and the people sharing the road with you. Most auto shops aren't going to swap your headlight housings for you. OEM parts for headlights are expensive as hell, and HID and LED "kits" that are built to fit in as aftermarket applications are made to go into normal halogen housings- so they don't behave like OEM hardware. Optics really are high precision assemblies where all the parts have to work together properly. If you put HIDs into a halogen projector headlight, you can sometimes get away with no hotspots because the projector lens and cutoff shield do so much reshaping of the beam pattern that it masks all the bad stuff, but straight LED/HID plug-in to a reflector lens housing will scatter stuff everywhere. It's not like you're just driving around with high beams on- the beam scatters in all sorts of weird ways that you as the driver have less usable light too. It may actually be brighter in some spots, but usually not in a good way that actually increases your night vision on the road.

Best option is to use brighter halogen bulbs in the factory reflector housings if you want actual better vision at night. Even better if you want to put HIDs or LEDs in without paying for the complete factory headlight housings is to retrofit the entire projector assembly from a vehicle equipped from the factory with HIDs or LEDs- which means opening up and cutting up your factory housings. This is actually the best option for headlight upgrades in my opinion, because you can pick from the best projectors in the industry for beam pattern instead of having to use whatever Kia put into their top trim level cars. It's still illegal and probably the hardest way to upgrade your headlights, but at least you're following the intent of the law by using the correct optics for your light source, and you end up with a true upgraded beam pattern that's better for you as a driver and better for those sharing the road with you. Projector retrofit hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper every year too.

FYI: I typically hunt for an extra pair of OEM headlight housings when I buy a car. Currently have a complete extra set for my truck so I can cut them up and shove HID projectors in without sacrificing the factory housings.
    Engineer/techy guy. 90 CRX, 08 Frontier, 16 Soul, 17 BRZ. All stick.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

I own a 2020 GT Line with the LED headlights and fog lights and they light up everything in front of me like you wouldn’t believe! Amazing to me that no one has flashed their lights at me yet, but they must have done their job well in designing the housing. Coming from someone whose last car had completely ineffective headlights (2016 Honda HR-V), these are a godsend.

Drives
    2020 Soul/2016 Chevy SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom_Stark View Post
    I own a 2020 GT Line with the LED headlights and fog lights and they light up everything in front of me like you wouldn’t believe! Amazing to me that no one has flashed their lights at me yet, but they must have done their job well in designing the housing. Coming from someone whose last car had completely ineffective headlights (2016 Honda HR-V), these are a godsend.
    I did some extensive night driving recently, and I had luxury SUVs and other high end sedans pull up alongside me. Their light projection didn't look much different than mine. I even had a chance to use my high beams (Don't worry everyone that's apparently suffering from Photophobia, no retinas were harmed during filming!) and it lit up the entire area. Definitely nice to have on the Soul.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)