On the Fence...

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: On the Fence...

Drives
    Soul+2012-2.0-Auto

On the Fence...

So...with the release of the 2020's I am "on the fence" about my feelings.
    (insert musical interlude) (feelings...whoa whoa whoa feelings...)
    Currently I am not in love with the new look especially that HUGE and vulnerable front grill.
    Couple that with the dreaded C.V.T. and that fence just got a little higher.
    (Maybe the Trump administration is at work here?)
    In all fairness I have not seen it in person nor have I driven one.
    I can remember not being fond of our current 2012 soul UNTIL I actually spent some time around it and the rest, they say, is history.
    Here are some confusing points that perhaps someone can elaborate on?
    1-All non-turbo souls are 2.0 BUT only have 147hp? (wasn't that the rating of the 1.6 souls pre 2020?
    2-Has Kia dropped the dreaded "direct injection" and gone back to conventional m.p.i?
    3-Any detailed feedback on the new c.v.t. transmission and is this Kia's 1st venture using it?
    (I prefer not to be Kia's transmission crash test dummy!)
    4-What's with the pricing? Seems 2020's are very close and sometimes even cheaper than 2019's similarly equipped.
    I've still the opportunity to find a 2019 of my liking but the list continues to dwindle and pricing seems a bit befuddling comparing 2019 to 2020 with not a huge difference between the 2 when similarly equipped.
    Please feel free to share here as sharing is caring!
    Thanx then!
    Last edited by The Sradiator; 04-14-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Are We Not Men?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Base/2020/Gray + Base/2013/Red
    I just drove my new 2020 across country and it drives much nicer than our 2013. It is more comfortable, smoother driving, and the cvt worked just fine. Also it is lighter and has more torque so the slightly lower hp on the straight 2.0 is still improved.

Perhaps they did let the Trump Administration have a look at it, as it is better.
    Buzz, SteveMW, mikewo6o and 2 others like this.

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    1. 1.6L - 130 @ 6300; 118 @ 4850; 2.0L - 147 @ 6200; 132 @ 4500
    2. 2.0L is MPI, the 1.6L turbo is GDI
    3. the IVT has been used in the Forte for the last year. It is an in-house design and built unit.
    4. the US has gone more like Canada, by not having as many packages but creating separate models.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul+2012-2.0-Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post
    I just drove my new 2020 across country and it drives much nicer than our 2013. It is more comfortable, smoother driving, and the cvt worked just fine. Also it is lighter and has more torque so the slightly lower hp on the straight 2.0 is still improved.

Perhaps they did let the Trump Administration have a look at it, as it is better.
    A "drive across country" would reveal little about a C.V.T. as theoretically it should be in top gear most of the time.
    Where you truly learn about a C.V.T. is in day-day mixed driving where the C.V.T. has an opportunity to shift up/down and emulate a conventional transmission.
    Our 2012 2.0 has 164hp from what I recall?
    I would expect a better ride and improved fit/finish between the 2020 and the 2013.
    If not...Kia would be moving backwards or not at all in improving the brand!
    According to my findings 2020 is not lighter but marginally heavier across the model line than 2013.
    2020 torque specs are also less in the normally aspirated models (non-turbo) than 2013/2.0.
    Where did you get your information from again?
    My reference material:
    https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/model...fications#soul
    https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/model...specifications
    Last edited by The Sradiator; 04-14-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    SoNic67 likes this.
    Are We Not Men?

Junior Soul
    Get off the fence. Get one, and whip it good!
    Crack that whip!

Drives
    Soul+2012-2.0-Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterSoul View Post
    Get off the fence. Get one, and whip it good!
    Crack that whip!
    If only they made it in DEVOlution yellow...
    Are We Not Men?

Junior Soul
    I'm moving to my own private Idaho!

Drives
    2002 Sonata LX
    Well, I have briefly driven three Souls; a 2012, a 2019 and a 2020. In this admittedly small sample, I found no complaint with the power or handling of any of the three. In stop-and-go traffic, I didn't notice the CVT as objectionable. I did notice it felt somewhat different than a regular AT. I, personally, think the 2020s are more stylish than the Gen 1/2 Souls. I have not been able to find much information on the details of Kia's switch to MPI-was it the carbon problem? Something else? As stated, the CVT was in the Forte last year. I checked Consumer Reports, but they have no data at this time on the reliability of the CVT, although they seemed favorably impressed by the 2018 Forte.
    At least in this area, the better 2019's are gone and the ones remaining are the base models with MT. These seem to be priced around $15K US, which is certainly attractive considering Carmax is selling a 2013 with 88K for $9K. However, getting a new 2020 LX for $20K OTD I found more attractive for an extra $5K.

Personally, I would prefer to have a little more information on the Gen 3 drivetrain before plopping down $20K. I'm actually in the process of buying a 2004 Sonata from a FoaF and am hoping to get a year or two out of it while I take care of some other problems and continue to hunt for a new or used Soul or other cargo-style vehicle.

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    The 2.0 MPI is not new; what is new is the IVT. I had a 2012 Exclaim and it had pretty much the same engine in it. Starting in 2014 the switch to the 2.0 GDI began. In either case, both engines behaved well and had plenty of pick up to put me on the interstate, merge with the big trucks, and cruise at highway speeds up to 65 MPH. After 65 MPH, the MPG fell into the toilet but I was and am satistifed. The 1.6 was GDI already and I do not believe that there is a 1.6 MPI although I would like to drive and know more about the 1.6 Diesel but us Gringos are a funny lot when it comes to a diesel.

Anyway, there are other things that bother me about the 2020s. There really is only three models, the LX MT, the GT Turbo, and the others. The only thing different on the others is bits and pieces stuck on here and there, nothing that is performance related. I personally like the EX the best of all of them but would consider any of the IVTs as suitable.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    If you change cars often, go for it. Of course that means you are perpetual paying the de-valuing of the car from the second you drive it off the lot, but that's cool to me, when I am buying them used
    If you plan to keep it 10 years, I would avoid any Turbo and GDI models. I might worked for you but they have problems, and prompted recalls of 2012-1016 Soul (Hyundai GDI engines).
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...gine-failures/
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kia-h...--finance.html
    https://www.boston.com/cars/car-news...another-recall

The 1.6L Turbo engine is "pushed" too much IMO.
    This is true especially if you drive in a lot of stop-and-go traffic. If you are retired and only drive outside the rush hours, and never accelerate faster than the average snail... not so critical.

As for CVT's, somebody needs to be the guineea pig. Always the "first year" models will have issues to be fixed in later models.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 04-15-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Buzz and Shaggy Wierdo like this.
    So it goes...

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)