My Soul: an interesting story and a couple things to look for.

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My Soul: an interesting story and a couple things to look for.

Junior Soul

My Soul: an interesting story and a couple things to look for.

I finally decided to share some of my experiences with my new Soul to demonstrate just how long these vehicles will last and give others some insight on repairs and things I've done.

Now save the comments, but I bought my 2010 Soul ! With 172,000 miles on it. As far as I know, it is one of the highest mileage Souls in my area and definitely the highest mileage my Kia shop has ever seen. I know it's pure madness to buy a car with that kind of mileage but for the price and the impeccable service record and car fax, it seemed like a fit for me. Everything I wanted in a car. I had just got rid of my 2005 Audi A4 so it had everything I missed from my Audi. Premium audio, power sunroof, heated seats, all the good stuff. The exterior, immaculate, the interior not without a few scuffs and a little love but overall excellent condition. When I got the car from a less than reputable dealer, it immediately had issues with the car not starting after running low on fuel and filling up. Turns out it was the fuel flow mass spectroid valve, which the dealer replaced for free. Soon after, I took the car in to Kia for a full check and to address some noises I heard in the suspension. On the first pass, they tightened suspension and frame bolts and I had them do a transmission flush, oil change, fuel filter change, and timing and tensioner belt replacement. Ran me about $600. That trip to the dealer also revealed that I had purchased the Ghost edition Kia Soul!! Since that maintenance I have been loving my ghost but the sounds in the suspension have returned, and have had me back in for diagnosis two additional times. Kia did a free tightening of all the frame and suspension bolts but that only temporarily fixed the noise. It wasn't until my trip today to Les Schwab today that it was revealed that the noise, a springy creak when I turn one way or the other or go over bumps at low speeds, was the control arm bushings. I've seen many Soul complaints about suspension noises with no solution so I figured I would share this with fellow Soul-mates in hopes of helping diagnose the mysterious front end noise!

That said, I love my little ghost! All other things checked, both Les Schwab and Kia said the car is in excellent condition and shows no mechanical signs of the 172k+ miles on it. What shocks me even more is even with the regular service done by Kia, the timing belt was NEVER changed until it came in to my possession. I intend to baby the car, do lots of aftermarket upgrades like roof racks and fun stuff like audio equipment, never take it past 80mph, treat it to fuel cleaners and premium gas, and we'll see how far ghost and I make it. Stay tuned for more and lemme know if this helps you! Cheers!

-Ghost and I

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2010 ! Alien I, Auto
    Howdy and welcome to the forums!

Interesting store you told and it goes to show you that IF you do proper maintenance these little cars are very durable!
    Avital Remote Start System, Billet Fuel Door, Diode Dynamics LED's, Findway Catchall Floor Mats, Kenwood DMX7705S AM/FM Receiver with Android Auto, Kenwood Weblink & Backup Cam, "K" Emblems, Kia OEM Splash Guards, Konig Lace 16x7, LED Eyebrows, Magnaflow Exhaust, Portal Accent Trim, Puddle Lights, Sport Spoiler, SSD Roof Rails, SSD Strut Tower Brace, Takeda CAI, VG Shark Fin Antenna V2, VisionPromotions Ground Cable Kit.

Hidden Content

Drives
    2014 Soul+ Primo / Alien II
    Welcome

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Elder Soul
    Drives
    2017 Soul Auto, titanium.
    Impressive, 208. I don't know what a Ghost edition is but apparently yours has Extended Life.

I had a 2007 Spectra with that same 2.0 mill and replaced the belt and tensioner at 21K and five years. Excellent mill that got great mileage and had good torque.

Keep us updated with your Ghost stories!
    2017 Soul auto, Konig Control, BFG 225.55.16 G-Force Comp2 A/S. Winter 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80.

Hidden Content

Drives
    14 ! Black Sun & Sound/ 06 MX5
    Replace Ghost with Quirky and you get the idea....

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    With that kind of mileage I don't think any of the repairs or maintenance you had done is out of line. You'd expect to spend some extra money on ghost busters at first, but with those things taken care of I bet you get a few more years of life & with a rebuilt engine someday, an after-life.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    '12 Soul+ '16 Tucson SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul208 View Post

That said, I love my little ghost! All other things checked, both Les Schwab and Kia said the car is in excellent condition and shows no mechanical signs of the 172k+ miles on it. What shocks me even more is even with the regular service done by Kia, the timing belt was NEVER changed until it came in to my possession. I intend to baby the car, do lots of aftermarket upgrades like roof racks and fun stuff like audio equipment, never take it past 80mph, treat it to fuel cleaners and premium gas, and we'll see how far ghost and I make it. Stay tuned for more and lemme know if this helps you! Cheers!

-Ghost and I
    Do whatever cleaners that you must,but you'll waste your money and not help the engine if you use premium gas in it. I could understand using midgrade/89 octane on HOT days over 90f,but premium 92/93 would be overkill.

Good luck with your Ghost. My '12 + has 157,291 well maintained miles and drives ALMOST like new. They're great cars.
    SoNic67 likes this.

Junior Soul
    So, quick unrelated update, right after posting this my engine light comes on and threw and EVAP code (P0455). I know this can be the gas cap, which I retightened after adding fuel, and the solenoid valve and fuel filter have both been replaced within a matter of weeks. I'm thinking it could be temperature fluctuations and maybe the after market cap being on crooked, I'm gonna let it sit for a while on a full tank and see what happens in the morning. I'm thinking with three trips into the shop recently I seriously doubt it could be anything major. I usually drive very gently but the light did come on on the way home from work after an aggressive acceleration past a local jackass. Obviously a lot of exhaust was going through the EVAP system at this time. If anyone has any recommendations before I go pester Kia again tomorrow let me know. Thanks for the feedback!

Drives
    2012 Soul+ 2L AT Titanium
    With that many miles your next big expense will be O2 sensors and a catalyst. Oxygen sensors are really only designed for 100-120K miles anyway.And every catalytic converter has a finite lifespan. I don't know what the Soul will do, but many 4 cylinder vehicles only see 130K before the cat starts acting up.

Junior Soul
    Back again. Unhooked the battery, plugged it back in, fired the car up with no engine light. Drove it for about 15-20 mins, some idling, varying types of driving (slow and consistent vs really giving it some gas) and the light has not come back on. Suspecting the gas cap as the car has been in the shop too much for there to probably be any more issues for a while

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)