Seat question

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Shaggy Wierdo
  • 2 Post By p8md
  • 1 Post By jdmartin

Thread: Seat question

Seat question

I'm looking to purchase a 2013 from a used car dealer a couple hours away. They are wholesaling a few cars with issues. This car is an automatic with 103k for much lower than KBB. The only issue I know for sure is a broken key in the ignition. He also sent a few pictures. One of the things that concern me are the seats. The back seats and door panels have the SOUL logo, but the front seats are plain. Is this normal? I'm just concerned this car may be "Frankenstein-ed" together to make a presentable car. I don't know anything about the dealer (good or bad). Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seat question-123_1-1-_1560357061923.jpg   Seat question-123_1_1560357226427.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    The word "Soul" on the seats in the picture are from Gen 1 (2010-2013) cars. In the US this is the Plus model. It appears on all seat backs, not just the front or the back.
    Buzz likes this.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

Drives
    Soul ! / 2010 / Cream
    I'm cynical and skeptical, so take my words with a grain of salt, but worn out seats are an indicator of high mileage. Perhaps someone replaced the seats to conceal high mileage. Definitely, those aren't the original seats. At a minimum, I'd check the carfax and make sure the mileage history seems plausible. Also, look at things like the gear selector, steering wheel, driver's side carpet, driver's side door handle, for wear. Personally, I don't buy from dealerships, because they have the luxury of not having to answer for weird things like swapped out seats.
    Lowkey, when my wife is not paying attention, I wash car parts in the kitchen sink.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

I'm very cynical and skeptical also, especially around used car dealers. I assumed ALL the seats should have the logo. Just the fact they were wholesaling it had my skepticism radar on high. Thanks for the replies.

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    That's pretty high mileage for a Soul, especially one you have no idea what kind of miles they are.

Carfax has enough instances of bad info that I would take what it says (and more importantly what it does not say) with a grain of salt.

Definitely get a mechanic to thoroughly check it out should you want to buy this Soul.

I'm curious who "wholesales" a car because a key broke off in the ignition ?

Drives
    2012 + Molten
    I've pulled the odd broken ignition key fragment out with the help of a drill bit, but you can't count on being able to do that, so maybe budget for a lock cylinder and labor.

As others have said, the "Soul Repeat" pattern should be the same front and rear. Front seats are definitely not original.

That's a huge red flag. The driver's seat in a Soul probably shouldn't be torn up from wear at 103k. Even if it was, there are plenty of them in boneyards, should be no problem to get an exact replacement at a fair price. One possibility is that it might have been in a collision just severe enough to pop the airbags. There are plenty of scammers who will cut out the blown airbags, make the car look presentable, and sell it like that. You can't easily patch a seat back up once the bags are blown, though.

It could also be a theft recovery, or an...ahem...biologically damaged car.

Also, can't help but notice what seems to be the old dealer trick of supplying comically tiny photos of sketchy cars so you can't enlarge them to see what they don't want you to see.

Whatever the reason, if you're seriously considering buying it, make sure the title is clean, check the vehicle history online, and examine those seats very carefully to make sure the airbags are connected properly.

Drives
    2010 ! Alien I, Auto
    I would definitely walk away, maybe even run!
    Avital Remote Start System, Billet Fuel Door, Diode Dynamics LED's, Findway Catchall Floor Mats, Kenwood DMX7705S AM/FM Receiver with Android Auto, Kenwood Weblink & Backup Cam, "K" Emblems, Kia OEM Splash Guards, Konig Lace 16x7, LED Eyebrows, Magnaflow Exhaust, Portal Accent Trim, Puddle Lights, Sport Spoiler, SSD Roof Rails, SSD Strut Tower Brace, Takeda CAI, VG Shark Fin Antenna V2, VisionPromotions Ground Cable Kit.

Hidden Content

Thanks everyone. I have the same scamy feeling and I'm walking away.
    Buzz and Shaggy Wierdo like this.

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    these are the front seats of my 2012 that I used to own

Seat question-interior-seats-2-.jpg
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Drives
    2013 Base 6 MT Moss Green
    There are a boatload of Kia Souls out there for sale - it shouldn't be too tough to buy one that's not been abused.
    Buzz likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)