Time to replace shocks/struts whats to get?

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to replace shocks/struts whats to get?

Time to replace shocks/struts whats to get?

I have a 2011 with 67K miles.

The rear passenger shock is in need of replacement for sure and I was thinking I should just replace the front struts and rear shocks/springs and then be done.
    I plan on keeping the car for a few more years at least.

I would like to go with a pre-loaded strut as I really just dont like doing the springs.

I was looking around on normal autoparts sites like autozone and they seem to just have the junk brands available like sen-sen for pre-loaded struts.

I found another post on here about aftermarket suspension. I see i can get megan racing set for front/rear for $800 but then BC and HSD brands for a couple hundred more for the set.

How do these racing coilovers feel? Do they greatly improve the car? Do they last?

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I could just go oem, but im not sure if the front struts come pre-loaded from kia or not

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2010 ! Alien I, Auto
    Check out... https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/kia

Something I have been thinking about for my 2010 Exclaim.
    Avital Remote Start System, Billet Fuel Door, Diode Dynamics LED's, Findway Catchall Floor Mats, Kenwood DMX7705S AM/FM Receiver with Android Auto, Kenwood Weblink & Backup Cam, "K" Emblems, Kia OEM Splash Guards, Konig Lace 16x7, LED Eyebrows, Magnaflow Exhaust, Portal Accent Trim, Puddle Lights, Sport Spoiler, SSD Roof Rails, SSD Strut Tower Brace, Takeda CAI, VG Shark Fin Antenna V2, VisionPromotions Ground Cable Kit.

Hidden Content

They just have cheap fcs brand. Want something that will last more than a year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    I got KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on rear, they are separated from the springs: https://www.amazon.com/KYB-554387-Ga...dp/B00B1C0WX6/

On front I got a pair of non-OE strut assemblies. Feels good for now...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT4L5U5/
    So it goes...

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2013 Base 1.6 Auto (Silver)
    You may want to read my thread if you are considering Monroes:

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...t-13-soul.html
    US Air Force, MSgt, Retired
    Pianist/Organist - Wesley United Methodist Church
    Hidden Content

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    Nobody should consider Monroes
    So it goes...

Elder Soul
    Drives
    2017 Soul Auto, titanium.
    Quote Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
    You may want to read my thread if you are considering Monroes:

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...t-13-soul.html
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Nobody should consider Monroes
    Interesting about Monroes. I've been fishing for struts and shocks for my wife's PT. Locally Tireman, the weirdos at Midas--I can see why gold is their theme, they charge up the wazoo--and numerous parts stores ALL push Monroe. They say KYB don't last. I don't know if the word is out to say Monroe Monroe Monroe but over the years and decades I always heard they were mediocre at best and certainly nothing to write home about.

Too bad Konis aren't available, I think Bilstein is the next class down from Konis and I haven't checked their availability. But I've used KYB and heard good things about them over the years and decades. I put a set on an '04 Impala because the stock suspension was just too squishy. GMPP anti-roll bars too, that all made a yooj difference.
    2017 Soul auto, Konig Control, BFG 225.55.16 G-Force Comp2 A/S. Winter 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80.

Hidden Content

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    Firstly, AFAIK, Monroe don't make monotubes. This car was designed with them on rear (and fronts for the ! and Sport models), for a reason.
    Also, I have used Monroes on my Explorer and I took them out after two years - two of them were blown already.

Secondly, the KYB that I received are "Made in Japan". Maybe there were some problems with the KYB made in the US plant, I don't know, but they don't make all the lineup of shocks there.

Thirdly, I put Bilstein on top of every other shock manufacturer. They invented the inverted monotube shock - as a fun note, some of DIY people install them upside-down because of that (not reading the label on the shock).
    https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/techn...be-technology/
    https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/about-us/history/

In 1954, BILSTEIN was the first to realize the potential offered by an idea of Prof. Bourcier de Carbon, a French researcher in the field of vibrations. The aim was to eliminate the physical disadvantages of the conventional telescopic shock absorbers, while at the same time making the dampers lighter and capable of being installed in any position.
    Enormous effort went into development, accompanied by substantial investment in the necessary production facilities, in order to achieve this ambitious target. And it paid off. The introduction of the first monotube gas pressure shock absorber in a standard production Mercedes-Benz vehicle is still today considered a major contribution to active driving safety.
    Lastly, the OE manufacturer for those Kia shocks was another German manufacturer - SACHS. They make a replacement for front and rear, but rockauto has them a "OE ride", versus "improved ride" for the KYB ones. You can see it faintly on my original rear shock (blown at 55k miles, oil leaked):
    Last edited by SoNic67; 05-31-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    So it goes...

Im not even finding any bilstein for a 2011 soul.

What my main problem is, is finding a decent front strut. Im only finding no name brands or brands that have nothing but bad things come up with a google search. Just seems like no good options for the soul.

Not sure how coilovers are to adjust if I got the megan racing ones. Or how stiff the ride will be, not that im looking for a luxury ride.

Maybe just going OEM is best.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2013 Base 1.6 Auto (Silver)
    I checked the dealer (where I used to work) for OEM - the rear shocks list for about $170 each and he will discount down to $140 each. Ouch!
    US Air Force, MSgt, Retired
    Pianist/Organist - Wesley United Methodist Church
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)