Upper strut mount replace - need imput please!

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Thread: Upper strut mount replace - need imput please!

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2011 Kia Soul +

Upper strut mount replace - need imput please!

Hi friends, it has been a whirlwind lately, however, I have been having a binding noise when turning wheel for a little while now, on My 2011 kia soul +
    only coming from the left side. I knew this was the exact sound and symptom of the top mount/bearing for the strut assembly. So I take it to my (new) mechanic to have a closer look as just yesterday, it was making this "binding" noise more often. He explains, after looking closer that indeed the upper strut mount is the issue. He explained, that the right side was just done within a few months and there is no need to replace anything and I agree as that's all new oem parts and the noise is ONLY on left. He explained, that it would cost the same amount of labor/time to disassemble the left spring assembly just to install the upper mount and bearing plate as it would be the same to install all new on left. He suggested a complete assembly rather than piece parts in for the strut assembly. Kia does not make a complete strut though only aftermarket. I am not sure I am convinced going aftermarket is a positive direction.

Ok, here is my question (s):

1. Has anybody used aftermarket from Auto Parts Int. for a complete strut assembly (quik strut) for their kia soul and only done just one side and had no issues?

2. I really would like to just take my chances and pay to have just the upper mount/bearing plate installed and keep everything to oem, what does everyone think from experience?

3. Or do I purchase all new individual oem parts and build the left?

KEEP IN MIND also, that the right side has a built strut oem assembly, not a quik strut assembly, as does the left side right now.

Time is of the essence on this as I am scheduled for tuesday next week to have work done but I promised to call them by tomorrow so they can order parts based on my decision.

The mechanic does not want me to pay for extra parts not needed or for extra labor either but if the mount and bearing plate would be the only cause of a binding noise, then I am almost wanting to simply replace just those parts. Keep in mind, the mechanic said, because he was NOT the original mechanic that did the original work last year on the left strut assembly, he wont know for sure if the two upper left side parts are the only ones needing replacement if, the original installer misaligned those parts, initially.

thanks for your help.
    Last edited by hrtandsoul; 05-17-2019 at 05:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    It's a complicated job to disassembly the strut assembly, just to replace the bearing plate.
    And don't kid yourself, those shocks are gone too by now... so you would need to replace those too. The springs might be still OK if you wouldn't live in rust belt, but even if not rusted or broken yet, those get soft in time.

I just got those strut assemblies and they're fine. Much, much easier to install (less man-hours):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT4L5U5/
    Last edited by SoNic67; 05-18-2019 at 01:16 AM.
    So it goes...

Drives
    2013 Base 6 MT Moss Green
    You're overthinking this. A strut assembly, which is really just a coil spring and shock put together instead of separate pieces old-style, is not a complicated structure. Anything decent is going to be fine. I would go with a single setup, and if you're that concerned have the mechanic keep the old parts and give them to you - then you can order your own piece meal OEM parts, rebuild what you have, and either swap it out just to do it or keep it on the shelf ready for when you need to swap it out again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)