Need new tires ...help!

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Soul.Master.007
  • 1 Post By dynamo
  • 3 Post By nick1946
  • 1 Post By garix
  • 1 Post By Buzz

Thread: Need new tires ...help!

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2011 Kia Soul +

Need new tires ...help!

VIBRATION AT ALL SPEEDS.... and entire vehicle checked out and even alignment front and rear is all in the "green" ..... the vibration is from the very cheap tires I have on there that dont seem to ever balance right. Two of them actually had runout from the get go. They are a "generic" cooper brand (starfire) but, I found out I am not the only one with this issue for these specific tires. They are under the 30 day ride guarantee and now I have to decide which tire I want....I am being told, get michelin, get goodyear, get etc.....but my biggest and only concerns when purchasing tires are "Quiet and Comfort".....I have a 1st Gen Soul and they were not made with extra "sound barriers" or insulation like the later 2011 has. I have the earlier version. So Quiet, Smooth ride is MOST IMPORTANT to me. I simply just dont know if goodyear comfortred or michelin primacy fit the bill or something else? I need someone here who understands the need I have for the particular model soul I have (2011) thanks for all your imput.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2014 Soul ! Whole Shabang
    1) steel or mag wheels
    2) tire size
    3) how many miles on car
    4) did those tires have a good "road force" balance job
    5) did you replace the shocks and struts "YET"
    6) did you call Tire Rack and ask them what would be the Best Quiet Smooth Tire
    ???
    hrtandsoul likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BRASH & SASSY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Base 2015 AT Ti
    The Tire Rack website has a lot of info, and a search gadget for "rank how important these characteristics are, and we'll make a recommendation". It's a good place to do research, even if you buy somewhere else. (But their prices are pretty good.)
    hrtandsoul likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul 2013+/2018 1 Million Edit
    https://www.discounttiredirect.com/f...rt=recommended
    Some suggestions from Discount Tire Direct when ride comfort and noise are #1 priority
    Buzz, dynamo and hrtandsoul like this.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2015 Base Auto - 2018 Base Man
    Noise wise, I'm really picky. Have had good luck with Faulken from America's Tire on several vehicles. Put a couple on the wife's 2015 Base. Good wet traction and very smooth and quiet. Don't know about snow, might be a concern in Buffalo.
    hrtandsoul likes this.

Drives
    2010 ! Alien I, Auto
    Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus are what I have. Smooth and quite!
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-15-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    hrtandsoul likes this.
    Avital Remote Start System, Billet Fuel Door, Diode Dynamics LED's, Findway Catchall Floor Mats, Kenwood DMX7705S AM/FM Receiver with Android Auto, Kenwood Weblink & Backup Cam, "K" Emblems, Kia OEM Splash Guards, Konig Lace 16x7, LED Eyebrows, Magnaflow Exhaust, Portal Accent Trim, Puddle Lights, Sport Spoiler, SSD Roof Rails, SSD Strut Tower Brace, Takeda CAI, VG Shark Fin Antenna V2, VisionPromotions Ground Cable Kit.

Hidden Content

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2011 Kia Soul +
    to soul.master
    1) alloy
    2) 205/55/16
    3) 73,000
    4) yes
    5) yes
    6) tire rack suggested Goodyear Comfort Tred Touring

Elder Soul
    Drives
    2017 Soul Auto, titanium.
    I like Tire Rack's spider charts. You see everything in a clear and uncomplicated way.
    I'd look at: General Atlimax RT43 H or V (I'd go V), Michelin Cross Climate +, and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.

The spider chart under the Michelin includes the Goodyear and the Michelin outperforms the GY in a number of areas.
    The Pirellis (I bought two sets for us, for a Soul and a PT Cruiser) blow everyone off in the comfort department. They get low ratings in wet traction but I've never experienced anything hinky in the wet with them. Maybe I don't drive fast enough.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=231

My BFG G-Force are very comfortable, but not according to TR. So take it all with a grain of salt. Your results may vary. And of course most of us don't have the resources to buy and mount three or four or five sets of tires, break them in, and then run them through a battery of tests.

I also find Consumer Reports tire tests useful. They're not as complex as TR and some results differ, but again they can do it and we can't.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 05-16-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    2017 Soul auto, Konig Control, BFG 225.55.16 G-Force Comp2 A/S. Winter 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80.

Hidden Content

Drives
    2013 Base 6 MT Moss Green
    I think my last tires were Bridgestone and they were pretty good. I don't know what I have on here now but they are freaking Fred Flintstone tires. They weren't terrible until the last rotation, which brought the obvious worse tires up front. I've had them rebalanced twice even Roadforced to no avail. They have too much life in them yet to toss them but I think if the next rotation doesn't make them better I'm going to change again.

I'll edit this post after I go out and see what they are. You don't want them, whatever they are. They're loud and they suck.

Edit: they are Firestone fuel fighters. They suck. I liked the last two sets of Firestones I had but those were Destinations and were on my truck. I went on Tire Rack and funny thing, other people said the same thing - they were great for 5k miles and then started sounding and feeling like they were cupped. Exactly.
    Last edited by jdmartin; 05-17-2019 at 02:20 AM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)