Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) Flexible Coupling / Warranty Extension Notice?

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) Flexible Coupling / Warranty Extension Notice?

Junior Soul
    Drives
    Soul/2012/Silver, Base/Auto

Lightbulb Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) Flexible Coupling / Warranty Extension Notice?

Anyone get this in the mail?

"Kia is extending the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage, to all owners of the 2012-2013 MY Soul, for the MDPS from 5 years/60k miles to 10 years/unlimited miles, starting from date of first service. The MDPS unit may experience noise when turning the steering left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped."

What should you do?

If you experience noise when turning the steering wheel, contact the nearest authorized Kia dealer to have your vehicle diagnosed and repaired.

Warranty Extension Coverage:

• If, at any time within the extended warranty period, you experience a noise when turning the steering wheel left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped, your authorized Kia dealership will diagnose the cause at no cost to you.
    • If the diagnosis indicates the condition is caused by premature wear of the MDPS Flexible Coupling, Kia will replace the MDPS Flexible Coupling at no cost to you.
    • This supplement to Kia's New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not alter the limitations and exclusions contained in that New Vehicle Limited Warranty including external damage to the MDPS Flexible Coupling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    Thank you for the heads up, no. I have not seen it yet.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

Drives
    '14 White Soul! Whole Shebang
    Here's a copy of the letter.

Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) Flexible Coupling / Warranty Extension Notice?-1.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny365 View Post
    The MDPS unit may experience noise when turning the steering left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped."

What should you do?
    Well, for starters, stop steering when vehicle is stopped
    Every person that drove a non-assisted steering car knows that you should roll a just little bit the car if you want to steer. Or you won't be able to do it, static friction of the rubber is 2x as strong.

Joking aside, I am so happy that I got a 2011! No recalls, no letters regarding the engine, no soy insulated wiring, just a nice car...
    GeoSoul likes this.
    So it goes...

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Hey Sonic, I was curious if the 2011 had the same kind of steering, or did it have hydraulics back then?

I miss the great feel of my 90 Acura with power assisted speed dependent hydraulic power steering.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    White 2014 Soul+
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Well, for starters, stop steering when vehicle is stopped
    Every person that drove a non-assisted steering car knows that you should roll a just little bit the car if you want to steer. Or you won't be able to do it, static friction of the rubber is 2x as strong.

Joking aside, I am so happy that I got a 2011! No recalls, no letters regarding the engine, no soy insulated wiring, just a nice car...
    Non assisted what now? You're dating yourself.
    You can make up for it with gearing. Just turn the wheel about 2 full circles for a 90 degree turn.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post
    Hey Sonic, I was curious if the 2011 had the same kind of steering, or did it have hydraulics back then?
    Hydraulics.
    Not only "back then", but it has today too

Hint: Look on Rockauto.com for parts like "steering pump". They'll have a pump for 2011, don't have it for 2012.
    So it goes...

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterSoul View Post
    Non assisted what now? You're dating yourself.
    You can make up for it with gearing. Just turn the wheel about 2 full circles for a 90 degree turn.
    All passenger cars have two and something turn gearing. But when you don't have assist, the static friction is VERY hard to break. That makes you think about the strain on all the components in the steering chain, even when you have assist on.
    I have tried to drill that in my kids heads too - don't turn when wheel is not moving and stop hitting the ends of the rack.
    Also, even the Kia Soul manual (with EPS) states:

"When the vehicle is stationary, when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left or right continuously, the steering wheel becomes harder to turn. The power assist is limited to protect the motor from overheating. As time passes, the steering wheel return to its normal condition."
    Last edited by SoNic67; 05-12-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    So it goes...

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2013 Soul Base White M/T
    A few months ago, I started getting the clicking sound when steering. They told me it's the steering coupling and it's out of warranty. I'm at 97,000 miles. Estimated at $260 to replace. I got the letter yesterday. I'm making my appointment tomorrow to get that taken care of and the engine recall taken care of.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2012 Soul- Base- Smoke
    I received my letter this week and made my appointment. At 82K, I was out of the original warranty. Now I will have them fix it.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)