Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) Flexible Coupling / Warranty Extension Notice? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) Flexible Coupling / Warranty Extension Notice?

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    White 2014 Soul+
    All passenger cars have two and something turn gearing.
    And I thought I was over estimating. Doh!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2012 Black Soul
    I received the letter, and I had mine fixed at 74,000 miles. ($267.99!!). I'm very glad mama always taught me to keep my receipts - I'm about to submit for a reimbursement. It would be great if works out as easy as it sounds

ETA: so I tried to submit online, and once i FOUND where to do it, I filled in the form, and got to the "campaign/warranty extension program" and it's a drop-down. And wouldn't you know, this one does not show up. there's no where to type it in, and it is a required field. I called, and the folks I've spoken to have been friendly, but finally came up with "My suggestion is to go ahead and mail the form in with snail mail". Yeah, that's what I was trying to avoid...

I am going to wait until next week, maybe if enough people are trying to do this, they will upload this as a choice.
    But then I'll go ahead and do snail mail. I just hate when a letter says "go ahead and do it online", and then I can't, and the customer service folks have no answer
    Last edited by QVickiB; 05-16-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Base/2013/6-spd AT Soul
    So what does a bad coupling sound like?

I can jiggle my steering wheel and it sounds like loose plastic or something clicking each time

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2013 1.6 base AT black
    That is what I would like to know also. I always hear what sounds like a spring slowly compressing most times when I turn the wheel when moving slowly. Is that the sound?

Drives
    2013 Alien Base; 2017 Red Plus
    Since getting that letter, we have noticed a whirring sound coming from the steering at low speeds and when stopped and we steer. I am taking it in again, we just got the CC recall done, now we have to go back. Bummer.
    NEW MEMBERS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD: Hidden Content AND PROVIDE THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

Drives
    2012 Black Soul
    Quote Originally Posted by thewerzinator View Post
    So what does a bad coupling sound like?

I can jiggle my steering wheel and it sounds like loose plastic or something clicking each time
    Mine made a sound that sounded like a small "clunking" - mostly in situations where I've pulled into a parking space,t hen go to turn the wheel to straighten, and there's a tiny bit of play, and then a clunk. Not loud, didn't sound like my car was going to fall apart at all, but it sounds like you are describing the same type of sound. I didn't actually bring it in for that, I was in for other service, and they let me know about it.

Drives
    '14 White Soul! Whole Shebang
    Since the warranty extension is calling to replace the MDPS flexible coupling, it's this part that you'll need replacing.

Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) Flexible Coupling / Warranty Extension Notice?-oem-563152k000fff-steering-column-mdps-rubber.jpg

And here's a video of the sound you'll hear if the coupling is bad/chewed up (it's from a Hyundai, but most likely very similar, if not the same part):

10. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)