Grinding Noise Coming from Driver Side Front Wheel During Hard Right turn.

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Thread: Grinding Noise Coming from Driver Side Front Wheel During Hard Right turn.

Unhappy Grinding Noise Coming from Driver Side Front Wheel During Hard Right turn.

Hi folks!

I did a quick search and could not find anything and I am hoping to pick y'all's brains.

I took the wife's 2012 Kia Soul in to get the throw out bearing replaced. It is currently at 90k miles. As you may or may not know, this is a heck of job to do so I took it to a mechanic that came highly recommended from a longtime family friend. We decided to replace the friction plate while we were in there as well.

I picked the car up today and everything was good. The wife drove the car tonight to a shindig at school and when she turned into the parking lot (hard right turn) a grinding noise started happening. Like when you run out of brake pad and drag the caliper on the rotor. I was in the car with her and heard it myself. I switched places with her and tried to re-create it and it came back everytime on a hard right turn. Almost to the point of going to the limit of the turn on the steering wheel. It doesn't happen on a left turn.

I know that the whole wheel needs to come off to do a clutch job on these vehicles. I am taking it back to the mechanic in the morning to have him fix it.

I am just wondering if y'all have ever run into anything like this with these vehicles?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    The disc brake shield was bent a little. Also your wheel bearing might be on its's way out on that side, and allows the wheel to move just enough.
    So it goes...

Drives
    2020LX & 2012+
    Out 2012 had developed the very same issue though it was very intermittent.
    At times the noise was positively awful but almost impossible to diagnose, almost...
    What it turned out being was a Huge amount of rust had developed and settled on the top perimeter of the front rotors where the vanes are.
    It didn't appear to be hitting the dust shield but I suspect it was without being easily visible.
    After almost 2hrs of scraping and sanding the noise appears to have vanished.
    If you didn't have the noise before you did the clutch work you may want to look elsewhere but this has been my experience with what you are describing.
    Are We Not Men?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2020LX & 2012+
    PS...Isn't the throw out bearing covered under the power trains 10yr/100k as well as the pressure plate?
    I know the friction disk would not be but believe the other 2 components are?
    Are We Not Men?

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    Usually the friction plate goes first. And once you paid for the labor to replace it (not warranty), might as well replace the throw-out bearing too.
    So it goes...

Drives
    2020LX & 2012+
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Usually the friction plate goes first. And once you paid for the labor to replace it (not warranty), might as well replace the throw-out bearing too.

Usually but not always...If the bearing, covered under warranty, did go bad 1st, that was the perfect time to do the clutch & pressure plate at no additional labor costs, Simply swap old for new!
    Whats done is done I guess but folks need to read their warranty books to see what's covered.
    Also if a non covered item gets damaged by a covered item then everything gets covered.
    I.E. exploding throw out bearing causes damage or contamination to the friction disk.
    Last edited by The Sradiator; 05-05-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    Are We Not Men?

9. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)