Replacement battery size?

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Replacement battery size?

Drives
    SXSE/2014/FATHOM BLUE/POLAR/AT

Replacement battery size?

Freakin cold here lately (-28c to -30c overnight). Getting a visit from a polar vortex for Xmas to the New Year. Had to boost the Soul twice this weekend. Checked battery with a voltmeter a few times. Battery is checking out ok. If the battery is failing, I will be very disappointed. Its too soon. Keeping it on a battery minder for now.

Shopping for a replacement Just in case but have come across an issue. What is the actual group size for my battery?

My current battery says CCA600, RC110, 68Ah (20hr). No group size. Measured size approx. 10"Lx6.4"Wx8"H. I could make out a Hyundai lable on the front. I would have remove the battery to fully read it though.

Service manual spec says CCA550, RC92, 60Ah (20hr), 48Ah (5hr). No group size or dimensions. Is less capacity than current battery.

Online searches come up with group size 121R. Much smaller physical size than current battery. 8.3"Lx7"Wx8.5"H. And most options are less capacity than current. Some less capacity than the service manual suggestion. Found an Interstate Battery with a similar spec as my current battery.

Other battery finders come up with group 48. Nice capacity but much bigger physical size than current. Appears this is the battery if you have the ISG system.

Tray does not appear to be able to fit the larger group 48 size. Or the width of a 121R (No room for battery clamp). I can go 0.5" longer but will no longer able to use the insulated battery cover. Could go way higher as long as the top stays flat to fit the terminal connectors and positive cover. Some have small recess around terminals that do not look accommodating.

Is this a special Canadian spec battery? Will I have to go factory? Not interested in a lower capacity than the current battery. If this battery is failing already do I want to replace it with another one? Warranty on this one??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2015 Soul/Alien Green (base)
    IIRC group size should be 121R

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    we are having the same temperatures here in Southern Ontario. Hope I don't have any problems starting tomorrow as my Soul has been sitting for a week, but it is in a non-heated garage.

Battery warranty is 36 months, but its pro-rated. If replacing get a stronger Ah.

Here's the details on my OEM battery in my Soul.

2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    SXSE/2014/FATHOM BLUE/POLAR/AT
    Ya. Always try to get strongest battery that will fit when replacing. This car has turned out to be the most difficult to fit though. I wonder if that one will fit?

That an AGM battery. Nice. Thought that came with models with ISG.

Thinking you will have no issues during this cold spell with that battery and age.
    Last edited by zerogee; 12-28-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Drives
    2020, 2.0L, IVT, LX "Jem"
    I think I'd start by going to a store that sells batteries with your battery measurements and see what they have that will fit.
    Around here, the store with the greatest variety of sizes and capacities is Walmart.

I've mentioned this several (hundred) times myself, but I'll mention it again.... Get a 24" battery cable with eyelets on both ends, and connect it to the NEG terminal on your battery and then connect the other end to any available bolt on top of the engine. That will greatly increase the grounding for your starter and your engine will start much faster. You may not really require a new battery.
    My own OEM battery is now five years old and still going strong.

Replacement battery size?-cable-block.jpg
    Click picture to enlarge.
    One end of new Ground Cable bolted down to engine.

Replacement battery size?-newcableatbattery.jpg
    Click picture to enlarge.
    One end of new Ground Cable connected to NEG terminal of the battery.

I first heard about this trick from the guys on the UK Soul forum, where they were having a real hard time starting their little Diesels.
    It works!

Happy New Years, Mates,
    FL Hamster
    Last edited by FLHamster; 01-02-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Neanderthal likes this.
    Now driving 2020, LX, 2.0L AT (IVT), Pearl White

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2012+Molten,2010 Sport White
    I replace both my 2010 and the 2012 with Farm N Fleet Platinum batteries with the same CCA as the original. Could not use the battery cover for the 2012 but other wise fine. Starts good so far(-4 Fahrenheit).

Drives
    2020LX & 2012+
    WallyWorld 26R works! ($49.95)
    Last edited by The Sradiator; 12-28-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    Are We Not Men?

Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by zerogee View Post
    Ya. Always try to get strongest battery that will fit when replacing. This car has turned out to be the most difficult to fit though. I wonder if that one will fit?

That an AGM battery. Nice. Thought that came with models with ISG.

Thinking you will have no issues during this cold spell with that battery and age.
    mine is not an ISG model and this one is more stronger than the one I had in my G1 2012 model, which I owned for 5 winters and gave me no problem.
    It went even colder last night so we will see what happens when we leave to head into Trenton to do our weekly shopping in the next couple of hours.
    Last edited by conwelpic; 12-28-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2011 Soul ! Alien Green
    Funny how people in Florida comment about how long batteries should last in Canada
    I have lived in cold weather places and I assure anyone that the comparation is not even funny!

The AGM batteries deal better with the cold weather. Synthetic 5W oil helps too.
    OldITGeek likes this.

Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by conwelpic View Post
    mine is not an ISG model and this one is more stronger than the one I had in my G1 2012 model, which I owned for 5 winters and gave me no problem.
    It went even colder last night so we will see what happens when we leave to head into Trenton to do our weekly shopping in the next couple of hours.
    It started with no problem.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)