Trailer Hitch Install

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Trailer Hitch Install

Junior Soul
    Drives
    Soul!, 2018, Auto, Clear White

Trailer Hitch Install

Hey Folks,

It’s been awhile. Work and kids, what can I say??

Anyway, I still get a little thrill of pleasure every time I walk up to my Soul! I love it that much. I just turned one year and 11k on my car. Can’t remember loving a car like this in . . . Ever??

So, down to business. . .

Dunno if this is a mod, or a DIY, but I posted it here because it’s an aftermarket part: a trailer hitch.

No, I’m not gonna tow anything!!

I recently purchased a Curt Hitch mounted cargo basket, and while it fits wonderfully on my Expedition, I thought I might get better mileage if I used it on my Soul. My family and I are going on a cross country road trip in a couple of weeks, and the difference in gas expenses between my Expedition and my Soul is substantial, certainly enough to warrant putting on a trailer hitch and buying the necessary accessories. It’ll more than pay for itself.

******** NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PRODUCT ENDORSEMENT. IT’S JUST MY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS *********

There were three options for trailer hitches that I found for the Soul: Curt, Draw-Tite, and EcoHitch. All three are Class I hitches and have the same limits for tongue weight (200lbs) and trailering capacity (2,000lbs). I went with the Curt because it seemed like the best choice to me.

The Draw-Tite was a little cheaper, but it was also half the weight of the Curt. I wanted to give myself the best support if I was going to strap something to the back of my car, and twice the weight means twice the steel, so the extra $20 for the Curt seemed like money well spent. The EcoHitch looked sturdy enough, and it even boasted a 2” receiver, unlike the teensy 1-1/4” receivers on the Curt and Draw-Tite. However, it also boasted a price tag 2.5x higher than the Curt. Moreover, since the hitch was going to be recessed 5” behind the rear bumper, a 2” hitch didn’t matter because it would need a 6” extension adapter anyway. Plus, the 1.25” receiver would give me a little extra clearance in my day to day driving. So, I got the Curt for $120.

******** NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PRODUCT ENDORSEMENT. IT’S JUST MY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS *********

Look at the last attached pic if you want to see what the Curt trailer hitch looks like. . . .

Note how the hitch goes up and straight over the muffler area. This was another reason why I chose the Curt, because I wanted as much clearance as possible around my Vibrant aftermarket muffler. Turns out the extra clearance was a blessing and a curse. Will explain later.

This is definitely a two person job. Thank goodness for my mechanically super savvy neighbor who agreed to help me with the install. I couldn’t have done it without him. You only have to cinch down six bolts to 46 ft lbs with a torque wrench, and the hitch is on. One slight problem. There’s no way in this universe that you could EVER get a torque wrench on any of these bolts. In the end, we used a ratcheting wrench to tighten the bolts down. Torque was set to as tight as we could get the bolts! Here’s a couple of pics of the working space. . . .

Trailer Hitch Install-d9af13eb-a670-467e-a911-22ca4acb939d.jpg
    This is the side over the muffler. The reason why the raised area is a mixed blessing is that it easily cleared my modded muffler. However, my muffler guys made a new point for where the muffler was held up, and that point was right behind the hitch, so my savvy buddy just took the muffler holder and welded a 1” extension onto it. Problem solved! Downside: now my muffler hangs down 1” lower than it did. If you modded this over standard exhaust, you shouldn’t have this problem.

Trailer Hitch Install-0ac961bd-807b-4e15-88ba-e2ef2284c491.jpg
    Here’s the other side. That bolt is sandwiched between the hitch’s tubular frame and the flat side of the mounting bracket. Getting any kind of wrench on it is problematic. If it weren’t for the open ended ratcheting wrench, I’d probably still be tightening this.

Okay, so six bolts later, here’s what the finished product looks like. If you look at earlier pics of my car’s exhaust, you’ll really see how it’s an inch lower here than before the hitch install.

Trailer Hitch Install-21b20921-ef7e-4e08-a783-4c2bfe53e905.jpg
    Trailer Hitch Install-9b476cae-ff27-4549-9abe-96afae09d052.jpg
    Trailer Hitch Install-2c18f83f-a5c7-410f-a8bc-7db5b866d7eb.jpg
    The last pic really shows how recessed under the back bumper the hitch is. I estimated 4”-5” back from being flush with the rear bumper.

To be continued next post....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch Install-2cbf8ea1-d2d1-45e2-8528-f08a70601043.jpg  
    Last edited by SeanDonnSoul; 07-11-2019 at 05:34 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Junior Soul
    Drives
    So here’s the rest of the post. . . .

These are pics of the hitch with the 6” extender / adapter attached. To extend the length of my hitch and use my Curt hitch mounted cargo basket with my Curt trailer hitch, I needed an extender / adapter, so I got a 6” (wait for it!!) Curt extender / adapter. Man, is OCD a pain or what?? LOL

Anyway, here are some pics of what it looks like with the 1.25”-2” adapter in place.

Trailer Hitch Install-a8bfe27d-d176-49bd-879c-73d1cfd96787.jpg
    Trailer Hitch Install-56d7ad2a-3acf-42e3-8c10-6f01e537644d.jpg

The last pic shows how the extender brings the end of the hitch 1”-2” beyond the bumper. I guess the only thing to do now is put on the basket and see how it looks all together. I’m going to use the Arksen roof rack as well, so when I get the family truckster all loaded down, I’ll put up some pics.

Me, my wife, and my two boys (6 & 8) on a 10,000 mile road trip for a little over three weeks in The Hamster Wagon?? It should be interesting! More pics and story to follow....

Sean
    Happy Soul Owner
    Last edited by SeanDonnSoul; 07-11-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Drives
    14 Optima SXL; 15 Soul Base AT
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDonnSoul View Post
    This is definitely a two person job.....
    I guess I'll take mine off and get that other person to help me install it back.

And as far as I remember, this was back in 2016, you can easily get the torque wrench on most bolts when you peel off wheel well lining, except that one between the hitch and the bracket.
    SeanDonnSoul likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    White 2014 Soul+
    Dunno if this is a mod, or a DIY, but I posted it here because it’s an aftermarket part: a trailer hitch.
    No, I’m not gonna tow anything!!
    So, you're laying the ground work for a run for political office I guess.
    SeanDonnSoul likes this.

I'm thinking about putting a trailer hitch too. Does anyone have experience using Kia Soul with UHaul trailers? 5x10 cargo trailer says it's empty weight is 1,250 lbs. and up to 1,550 lbs. load. Any thoughts?

Realized it was a stupid question, as it was mentioned that no towing. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by soulless_bimmer; Yesterday at 09:03 PM.

Central Florida, New Smyrna Beach! Which is like living in key west without having to drive all the
    Drives
    Started with a 2014 Kia Soul P
    Quote Originally Posted by soulless_bimmer View Post
    I'm thinking about putting a trailer hitch too. Does anyone have experience using Kia Soul with UHaul trailers? 5x10 cargo trailer says it's empty weight is 1,250 lbs. and up to 1,550 lbs. load. Any thoughts?
    I put a trailer hitch on my 2014 Plus, then transplanted the same hitch to my 2018 plus. And yes, I towed a u-haul trailer from Florida to New Jersey by way of Georgia, the Carolinas, all states in between and even into Pittsburgh, Pa, then back!

I hauled electric bikes, furniture, a snow blower, a motorcycle and a riding mower. Not all at once, mind you. Was a delivery gig.

Only draw back was the HUGE gap between car and flat front trailer created a noticeable gas guzzling vacuum!

But car handled well. Remember to leave yourself extra braking room. Because what most people focus upon regarding towing is the weight to power ratio to move the load. Instead the focus should be upon the stopping power of the tow vehicle. With 4 disc brakes, our little Souls have more than most cars in this class, but adding several thousand pounds of inertia can be a wake up call for some people!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    White 2014 Soul+
    Looks like a big trailer for the car size.
    Did you add an oil cooler to the car?

Drives
    2014 Soul ! Whole Shabang
    E-Trailer KIA SOUL Draw-Tite is what I put on my Soul. One man job using a floor jack to lift hold in place. The cross tube went right under the muffler with plenty of Clearance. As the Video shows, it has the best fit, and is fully Class I one rated. from the Back all that can be seen is the Stub. Note: comes with a Rubber Stub Cap the exact size of the stub O.D. so it has the neatest cleanest Look from behind (Cleaner without the Curt Flange)... It checks off more Boxes in the Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2LE4W-1MjU
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BRASH & SASSY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Central Florida, New Smyrna Beach! Which is like living in key west without having to drive all the
    Drives
    Started with a 2014 Kia Soul P
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterSoul View Post
    Looks like a big trailer for the car size.
    Did you add an oil cooler to the car?
    6 x 8 trailer if my memory is working. No, did not add an oil cooler. Don't plan on hauling much very often, now the hitch gets used as an attachment point for bike racks, cargo tray etc..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Junior Soul
    Drives
    Maybe those little lady fingers of yours just slide up the wheel well better than my man hands!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)