2015 Exclaim - Rear Suspension and more...

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Exclaim - Rear Suspension and more...

2015 Exclaim - Rear Suspension and more...

I have a 2015 Exclaim with about 27K mile. I purchased it used a few months back and so far my wife loves it. We've noticed the rear suspension is very soft, in a bad way. So much so that it feels like the rear is bottoming out when we pull out of our driveway with our three young kids in the back. Our three kids probably are <200 lbs combined. It makes a squishy squeaky sound as well. On the freeway, the kids are bouncing like its the back seat of my pick up truck. Seems strange that the shocks would be toast with only 27K miles on the car, although I don't know how it was driven before. Are the factory shocks just bad? Do you think it needs new shocks? And, are there better ones out there than factory replacements? Are they covered under any kind of warranty or TSB? I looked through the TSBs and I didn't see anything related to shocks, although I did read a post where someone had their shocks replaced under warranty.

Lastly, what's up with the headrests. Is it just me, or do they push forward too far? I have them set back all the way, but they are still pushing into the back of my head. I have to recline the backrest just to get the headrest out of the way. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2014 Soul ! Whole Shabang

KYB Excel-G is a nitrogen gas-charged, twin-tube design

Ride Comfort may be important, but restoring a vehicle’s Ride Control; stability, stopping, lane change responsiveness and handling is critical. KYB Excel-G Shocks & Struts are designed for the most important performance purpose: Restoring the vehicle’s original capabilities. KYB is a world leading supplier of shocks and struts to new vehicle manufacturers and the Excel-G is made on the very same KYB OE assembly lines, uses the same OE quality components and is calibrated to restore original, designed performance, not change it. That has earned Excel-G the classification: OEA (Original Equipment for the Aftermarket). The KYB Excel-G is a nitrogen gas-charged, twin-tube design that includes every quality component that our global OEM products include and it is the preferred choice for Asian vehicles.
    • #1 recommended Original Equipment replacement choice for Asian cars
    • Specifically calibrated to help restore original handling and control characteristics of your import car
    • Uses a seamless working cylinder matched with a Teflon coated piston band for a positive seal and longer life
    • Triple chrome plated piston rod and multi-lip oil seals that reduce wear
    • Solid seamless mounting eye rings and bolt bushings to eliminate rattles
    • Engineered to help vehicles with electronic safety systems (ESC, ABS, etc.)
    • Protect your new struts from dirt, debris and salt with a KYB Strut Boot, part number: SB107
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BRASH & SASSY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    ! /2015/Fathom/Umber
    We have a 2015 as well. The rear suspension had a "crunch" after about a year. Took it to the kia dealer and the lubed something and it went away.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2014 KIA Soul Base 1.6l MT
    Quote Originally Posted by rmurray View Post

Lastly, what's up with the headrests. Is it just me, or do they push forward too far? I have them set back all the way, but they are still pushing into the back of my head. I have to recline the backrest just to get the headrest out of the way. Thanks!!
    The headrests aren't great regarding positioning options.

See Post #26

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/137-so...oyances-3.html

Thanks for the responses. For the shocks, I'm showing KYB part #348007. Auto parts stores carry these for $100, but online retailers have them for <$50. Seems strange the difference in prices. No reviews, or bad reviews, no good reviews. Anyone have any experience with these? I suppose I should check with the dealer first? Thanks!

Drives
    2019 Base M/T Alien 2
    FWIW, the rear suspension on my 2019 Base also feels a little soft. I have been trying to decide if it feels under damped (shocks too soft) or the springs are a little soft. It has felt that way since new, so it's not a situation of the shocks being worn.

I have considered trying rear springs from a + or ! model, thinking they may be a little stiffer for the more those heavily optioned models. The springs are different part numbers but I have not found spring rate info anywhere. But, obviously this will not help you.

I have used the KYB shocks on other cars and have been pleased with the ride quality. Not stiff, but well controlled.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    SX/2019/White
    I agree with others, the suspension is really soft and under-dampened. My last 2014 was due for shocks just before I traded it out. It seemed easy to do (at least the rears), and not very expensive. 27K seems early, but it is a 5 or 6 year old car now, and they do go.
    As for squeaking noises, I had the end links changed twice under warranty (1st time only a few months after I got it) and that was always the culprit. Another super easy fix as yours will probably be off warranty. I had all my initial issues pegged to being the 1st run of the Gen 2's.

Drives
    2015 Soul ! Sun/Sound
    57,000 miles on my 2015 Exclaim. The rear springs creak - the Kia dealership investigated this thoroughly, finally showing me by pulling the springs off and compressing them. They would not replace them under warranty. I did have a rear shock absorber replaced under warranty about 52,000 miles - I can't tell a difference.

The rear suspension is very rudimentary. The design and the short wheel base.. it's just not going to ride well. Though I actually feel like mine rides better fully loaded.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    ! /2015/Fathom/Umber
    My rear shocks creaked as well. The Kia dealer lubed something back there and it went away. Take it back.

Drives
    2015 Soul ! Sun/Sound
    Quote Originally Posted by engage View Post
    My rear shocks creaked as well. The Kia dealer lubed something back there and it went away. Take it back.

In my case the dealer demonstrated it was the springs creaking, not the shocks. I plan to replace the springs myself sometime later.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)