Gasoline direct injection

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gasoline direct injection

Drives
    Soul+ 2016 titanium

Gasoline direct injection

Anyone here have any issues with the Gasoline direct injection engine carbon build up on valves? I am going on 50,000 Mi. in my 2016 Soul + and the motor is running strong. At what mileage do they start going bad?
    Soul.Master.007 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. I would strongly suggest using the SEARCH or ADVANCED SEARCH function and explore the discussions.

Most folks on here honestly don't know if they have "carbon buildup." That would take a boroscope procedure or seeing the valves with the engine torn apart.

I think there is a carry over of "legend" stories from the first GDI engines that came out and were terrible. Mostly from German car builders like Audi, VW, BMW etc. Newer GDI engines have advanced software and engineering to combat this problem. Face it, GDI engines are in ALOT of cars, including the new Telluride, Sorento and Genesis vehicles.

I personally can't believe how much I like this GDI engine. No problems for me, but I don't have a ton of mileage either. Supposedly if you do short drives, where the engine doesn't fully heat up, you'll be more prone to buildup. But that's true as well in most internal combustion engines.

Cars are meant to DRIVE and RUN. The EV vehicles will be a good alternative for short distance drivers.

All the best.
    thewerzinator likes this.

Drives
    Soul+ 2016 titanium
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post
    This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. I would strongly suggest using the SEARCH or ADVANCED SEARCH function and explore the discussions.

Most folks on here honestly don't know if they have "carbon buildup." That would take a boroscope procedure or seeing the valves with the engine torn apart.

I think there is a carry over of "legend" stories from the first GDI engines that came out and were terrible. Mostly from German car builders like Audi, VW, BMW etc. Newer GDI engines have advanced software and engineering to combat this problem. Face it, GDI engines are in ALOT of cars, including the new Telluride, Sorento and Genesis vehicles.

I personally can't believe how much I like this GDI engine. No problems for me, but I don't have a ton of mileage either. Supposedly if you do short drives, where the engine doesn't fully heat up, you'll be more prone to buildup. But that's true as well in most internal combustion engines.

Cars are meant to DRIVE and RUN. The EV vehicles will be a good alternative for short distance drivers.

All the best.
    The reason I asked the question was to see if anyone actually had a carbon build up valve problem. I did the search and got a lot of guessing of what may happen but did not see anyone who really had a problem. And yes I know we have a 100,000 mile warranty.
    NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    I understand & just giving you my 2 cents from being active on this forum for over 5 years, don't expect too much evidentiary feedback on carbon buildup on Kia Souls.

It may fall someplace between 'the jury is still out" & "it's hard to prove a negative."
    Last edited by GeoSoul; 06-13-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Drives
    14 Optima SXL; 15 Soul Base AT
    Engine will probably get less efficient due to carbon buildup, not completely fail because of it.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    '16 Soul +; '06 Spectra5
    I think the basic answer is no, there hasn't been much evidence of carbon buildup in these engines. That's a good sign, in my view, considering that both the 1.6 and 2.0 GDI engines have been out for a while.
    two souls and GeoSoul like this.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2015 Base Auto - 2018 Base Man
    Unless I see some verified problems with the GDI in our 2 Souls, I'm not at all concerned with it. It's a solid engine used world wide. Very smooth and quiet, I find the power acceptable. Both of ours are guilty of short trips, getting oil changed every 6 months as mileage is minimal. I do add Techron when serviced.
    two souls and GeoSoul like this.

Drives
    2013 Base 6 MT Moss Green
    Quote Originally Posted by glove View Post
    Anyone here have any issues with the Gasoline direct injection engine carbon build up on valves? I am going on 50,000 Mi. in my 2016 Soul + and the motor is running strong. At what mileage do they start going bad?
    I thought about scoping mine when I did my spark plugs a couple of weeks ago but got too lazy to do it. I had suspected that I was starting to see the result of carbon build up, but since changing out the plugs things are definitely running better.

At 50K miles I wouldn't be worried about it at all unless you are using this car as a mail carrier and have some ungodly amount of idling hours. My other one has 66k on it and it is still great with no symptoms. All of these cars are going to have carbon build up - there's no getting around it since there's no fuel wash - but most people are going to sell the car before they experience anything detrimental. And of course you could always jump up an octane grade to compensate if you didn't want to bother cleaning the valves and seats. The other thing you could do is use a good synthetic and good quality fuel, both of which will have less contaminant burn-off to be recirculated through the combustion chamber. But you cannot stop microscopic dirt nor general vaporized oil and fuel, all of which will eventually build up on the valves since there's nothing to clean it off.
    Last edited by jdmartin; 06-13-2019 at 03:41 AM.

Drives
    exclaim/2015/solar yellow
    N O ! 45K ON THIS ONE , 60 K ON ANOTHER , 113K ON ANOTHER . ZERO ISSUES . Just drive it and enjoy .
    GeoSoul likes this.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    2013 Base 1.6 Auto (Silver)
    2013 Base 1.6 Automatic with 93K miles - runs like new, still get 30-35MPG on trips in the mountains.

I use synthetic oil most of the time, which I believe reduces PCV "fumes" getting sucked into the intake tract.

US Air Force, MSgt, Retired
    Pianist/Organist - Wesley United Methodist Church
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)