2015 Kia Soul +/79000 miles - Page 2

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2015 Kia Soul +/79000 miles

Drives
    14 Optima SXL; 15 Soul Base AT
    I am completely confused. You don't have a warranty or pending recall, why would you bother with Hyundai or Kia? Don't you have a mechanic in town who would diagnose and fix this issue for half what a dealership would charge? I hear Robertson Gomez on Maple Ave and Cabrillo Hwy is pretty good.
    Want to get rid of your stock 18" wheels??? Swap them for cushy 16"? Let me know...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

I was thinking if this is a major engine issue it might be better to have a dealership look at it. Point well taken though. Might be better to start close to home and work outward since it is out of warranty

Drives
    In my experience, dealerships are terrible at diagnosing a complicated issue. All that specialized training they supposedly take is a bunch of baloney. They will tell you what's easiest and has bigger mark up, i.e. replace the entire engine, which will cost you more than the car is worth.
    Want to get rid of your stock 18" wheels??? Swap them for cushy 16"? Let me know...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Best of luck wagles.

Have you changed the oil recently in the car? Does the level seem to be ok, any leaks?

Also wondered if you've run a bottle of Techron (or the like) injector cleaner through the gas tank?

How is the PCV valve? If it's clogged, it can cause some problems as well. Cheap and easy fix.

Hopefully this is just something minor out of whack.
    nick1946 likes this.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks to all who have taken time to give it. Just had an oil change about 2000 miles ago. It does use oil, probably a quart every 1000-1200 I would say.

My daughter primarily runs Chevron gas which I thought already had Techron in it. Will run a bottle thru anyway and check the PCV as well. Will post an update when I know more.
    Last edited by thewagles; 04-05-2019 at 04:10 AM.

PCV valve is good.

Had a diagnostic done this morning at a local shop. They could see the random misfires but did not determine a cause for them or the acceleration issue.

They stated it could be related to the fuel injection system and mentioned dirty valves as a possible culprit. Ended up by saying we should take it to a dealer. They did not charge us for the diagnostic.

So Friday we are taking it to a Hyundai dealer since as mentioned above the nearest Kia dealer is an hour and a half away. More to come on Friday

UPDATE: Hyundai dealer discovered upon inspecting the CAT, the honey comb material is breaking down/dissolving inside and clogging it up, so a new CAT is in order. They did not/could not explain why the CAT is going bad at 79000 miles however, they were very helpful in finding information stating the CAT is still covered by KIA for 8 yrs/80000 miles. Additionally, KIA has 5 yr/Unlimited Roadside Assistance on it's vehicles. My daughter placed a couple calls to KIA and within a matter of minutes confirmed that yes, the CAT is covered and yes, a tow truck will be on it's way at no cost to her to take it to the Kia dealer an hour away. All the paperwork from what Hyundai found is in the car so KIA will have it first thing Monday morning. We are hopeful KIA confirms what the Hyundai dealer found as Hyundai quoted us $1500 to replace the CAT. Will post another update next week.
    Buzz and GeoSoul like this.

Drives
    It's only a matter of time before 2.0's are recalled as well.

Drives
    Soul+/2015/Caribbean Blue SE

Suitable for Framing

Well, Waiting for a recall letter Suitable for Framing
    As a low miles 2015 (built 9/14), I want some formal peace of mind from Kia!
    Still have another year to payoff.
    BTW, When purchased new, the dealer had a huge banner hanging advertising "Lifetime Warranty"
    Maybe, next oil change I'll question them on it.

Drives
    2019 M/T base
    Quote Originally Posted by thewagles View Post
    UPDATE: Hyundai dealer discovered upon inspecting the CAT, the honey comb material is breaking down/dissolving inside and clogging it up, so a new CAT is in order. They did not/could not explain why the CAT is going bad at 79000 miles...
    Prolonged idling???

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)