Dash cam install and wiring

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dash cam install and wiring

Drives
    2018 Kia Soul Turbo Silver

Dash cam install and wiring

Hi All - I’m about to install a ROAV dash cam in my 2018 Soul Turbo. I’m not hardwiring it; just powering it with the included car charger. Before I start, just curious to know others’ experiences with running/hiding the cable in the A pillar and side of the the car via panels/weather stripping, etc. Mainly just want to know if I need to be concerned about disturbing side airbags and stuff like that. I know I’m probably being overly cautious but no harm in asking.

Thanks!
    M.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Junior Soul
    Drives
    White 2014 Soul+
    Check this. You can do it w/o the weed pulling tool. The A pillar trim comes off easy, and goes back on easy too. Did on mine anyway. I hard wired it to the fuse box.

Kia Soul: Front Pillar Trim Replacement - Interior Trim - Body (Interior and Exterior) - Kia Soul 2014-2019 PS Service Manual

Junior Soul
    Drives
    + 2019 Black
    no airbags in the A-pillar...they are in the seats...I pulled out my plastic part easy, then took back the rubber seal...ran wire down, put rubber pack & popped plastic back into place.
    Shaggy Wierdo likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Senior Soul
    Drives
    Soul+2010 Soul+2014
    I always hated the suction cups, so I actually placed a silicone sticky "tray" on my dashboard and place my dash camera into that tray so I can readily remove it and tuck it out of the way as necessary. Not super clean and purty, but it functions well.

Greg

Drives
    2017 Soul + / Brownstone
    The end section of the side curtain airbag does reach into the top section of the a-pillar. I was never able to easily get the top clip disengaged to release the a-pillar trim piece fully from the a-pillar.

I would recommend you use something to secure the wiring you're adding to the a-pillar itself to keep it out of the way of the existing wiring and make sure you run your new wires behind the airbag (between the airbag and the car metal) at the top of the a-pillar.

Here's a link to my YouTube video where I install a VIOFO A129 Duo (2-channel) dash camera into our 2017 Kia Soul +.

The two wires I had to run down the a-pillar (power and rear camera cables) made it so I couldn't use the included wire clips to secure the wires to the a-pillar since they (together) were too large to fit in the clips. I've included two screen shots from the video showing the airbag and how it does occupy some space behind the a-pillar trim piece.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dash cam install and wiring-2017_soul_top_of_a_pillar.jpg   Dash cam install and wiring-2017_soul_center_of_a_pillar.jpg  
    OrangeJulius likes this.
    Hidden Content
    2017 Kia Soul + Brownstone Edition

Drives
    Hey, thanks, y'all for the help and great information! I'm more at ease now on doing this that now I'm wondering if I should just go all in and hard-wire the cam to the fuse box. The only other thing that I was concerned about was a friend telling me having a dash cam is just another thing to worry about someone breaking into your car to steal. In San Francisco, it happens. The ROAV attaches to a mount you stick permanently to your windshield and can be removed and disconnected fairly easily, but I can foresee it becoming a big PITA.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    White 2014 Soul+
    I just unplug at the camera, pop the suction cup off and take it with me or stow it in the glove box.
    Just leave the wire hanging. The only pita is if I take it in the house and go out the next day and have to come back in because I forgot it.
    If parking at home in the driveway I use a car cover, so then I just leave the camera in the window.

Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterSoul View Post
    I just unplug at the camera, pop the suction cup off and take it with me or stow it in the glove box.
    Just leave the wire hanging. The only pita is if I take it in the house and go out the next day and have to come back in because I forgot it.
    If parking at home in the driveway I use a car cover, so then I just leave the camera in the window.
    Probably what I'll be doing; too valuable a tool to not have in the car. I ride a motorcycle and I have a GoPro on a chest mount when I ride. Been lucky to have not been in any accidents but I've also caught footage of bad drivers that would have been at fault if I wasn't lucky enough to avoid them.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    White 2014 Soul+
    I should rig up my Apeman action camera on the bike.

Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterSoul View Post
    I should rig up my Apeman action camera on the bike.
    Not meaning to change subject thread but thanks for mentioning your Apeman camera. I had never heard of it and I'm checking it out. Honestly, I hate my GoPro Hero5. Nothing but problems with it and they have THE WORST product support people. Glad to discover less expensive alternatives.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)