MPG Uptick

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By engage
  • 1 Post By Neanderthal
  • 1 Post By Neanderthal
  • 1 Post By Neanderthal

Thread: MPG Uptick

Elder Soul
    Drives
    2017 Soul Auto, titanium.

MPG Uptick

I had to run up to Ann Arbore today. Going up 23, traffic typically runs 75-85. Fortunately, I didn't see any crazies doing their thang.

When I hit the highway, my MPG usually declines once I pass the 60-65 threshold. Always, all three Souls. Today I think I started at about 29 and the computer slowly but steadily ticked up until I was at 31.4 in AA. It declined a bit in local traffic but when I got off the interstate again it was at 31.2.

I'm just about to turn 12,000 miles. I used synthetic oil last change, Pennzoil Platinum 5-20. I also dumped 16 oz. of Techron fuel injector cleaner. I had 40 miles on a fresh tank of Costco's finest 87 proof juice.

That's all I know about that.
    2017 Soul auto, Konig Control, BFG 225.55.16 G-Force Comp2 A/S. Winter 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80.

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    That sounds like the perfect triple c0cktail to make your Soul sing Neanderthal. Good work.

I'd be curious what the old fashioned MPG (miles ÷ gallons) on your next fillup is.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    ! /2015/Fathom/Umber
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

When I hit the highway, my MPG usually declines once I pass the 60-65 threshold. .
    .. .
    As you know, I live in Michigan. If you are only going 60-65 on the freeway, you'll get passed like you are standing still.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    deejaydead likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Elder Soul
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by engage View Post
    As you know, I live in Michigan. If you are only going 60-65 on the freeway, you'll get passed like you are standing still.

Yeah I know. What I meant was I can watch the MPG indicator start to drop once I pass that threshold. I was cruising in the mid-70s, it wasn't bad, traffic wasn't bad and the loonies were all somewhere else today.
    deejaydead likes this.
    2017 Soul auto, Konig Control, BFG 225.55.16 G-Force Comp2 A/S. Winter 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80.

Hidden Content

Elder Soul
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post
    That sounds like the perfect triple c0cktail to make your Soul sing Neanderthal. Good work.

I'd be curious what the old fashioned MPG (miles ÷ gallons) on your next fillup is.
    Ask and it shall be granted. For the first time in memory, if not maybe ever in the history of the world, the meter exactly matched the mpg by math: 30.8 which is one of my better tanks.
    Last time I hit 30 MPG was October 6,2018. And that was on a tank of zero-corn-liquor.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-24-2019 at 03:29 AM.
    GeoSoul likes this.

Hidden Content

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    ! /2015/Fathom/Umber
    ... And that was on a tank of zero-corn-liquor.
    If memory serves, corn liquor has about 10% less energy than gas so a gas mixture with 10% ethanol would have have 1% less energy compared to straight gas.

Elder Soul
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by engage View Post
    If memory serves, corn liquor has about 10% less energy than gas so a gas mixture with 10% ethanol would have have 1% less energy compared to straight gas.

That's all true. The interesting points of this are:

1. It was 10% ETOH gas.
    2. The anomaly was that highway MPG improved.
    3. The only difference is the FI cleaner that was added.

Non-corn-likker gas has shown inconsistent results, and has never resulted in a highway MPG improvement.

Hidden Content

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Ask and it shall be granted. For the first time in memory, if not maybe ever in the history of the world, the meter exactly matched the mpg by math: 30.8 which is one of my better tanks.
    Last time I hit 30 MPG was October 6,2018. And that was on a tank of zero-corn-liquor.
    Thanks Neanderthal. That is great the computer matches the old calculator method.

My computer is usually about 2 mpgs higher than reality, but maybe that's because I haven't done a longer highway run recently.

Getting 30.8, doesn't that get you to about a 500 mile cruising range on a tank? That's damn impressive for a Soul.

Elder Soul
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSoul View Post
    Thanks Neanderthal. That is great the computer matches the old calculator method.

My computer is usually about 2 mpgs higher than reality, but maybe that's because I haven't done a longer highway run recently.

Getting 30.8, doesn't that get you to about a 500 mile cruising range on a tank? That's damn impressive for a Soul.
    My computer is typically 1-2 MPG optimistic too. That's pretty much what i hear around here too. That's why being spot-on accurate is so notable.

No, it would take a miracle or a stick shift to get a 500 mile range. Even taking the 14.2 gallon tank down to .2, 14 x 31 = is about 434 miles. So 400 is theoretically achievable.

The "low fuel" light also goes on when there are still three or four gallons or so remaining IIRC.
    GeoSoul likes this.

Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)