New member: 2014 Base Add ons, Keyless entry and new Head Unit

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By afwilz
  • 2 Post By afwilz
  • 1 Post By phunky.buddha
  • 1 Post By XxHaimBondxX

Thread: New member: 2014 Base Add ons, Keyless entry and new Head Unit

New member: 2014 Base Add ons, Keyless entry and new Head Unit

Hey everybody!

This past summer I purchased a 2014 soul base with a 6 speed manual with just around 50k on it. It really was an emergency purchase since my previous car died (I was able to push that one to 210k!). I got my soul for an absolute steal at $8k, then $7,500 with the trade in on the old junker. So far, I am in love, it's so much more practical than the old junker that I had, and it's so much easier to drive and load all kinds of stuff into. I already have added cruise control since I am on the highway all the time. Makes sense since I've put on 13k miles in about 9 months. I really want to see if I can figure out a way to get a stock keyless entry installed/functioning. I really want to be able to have the stock flip-style key (I'd order one and have it cut for my car), but I also need to get a receiver that will work with the stock fob/see if I can easily (and not spend an arm and a leg) to swap out the BCM to the one that has a receiver in it. I've been hearing that the base BCM doesn't have a receiver, and I really need that keyless entry. I don't care about an alarm, although I would like a confirmation honk when I hit the lock button. I've been looking at other aftermarket kits (particularly the ones that look like the older, cheaper Kia fobs, but they are finicky and I'd prefer to go stock if possible.) If I could install an aftermarket receiver and somehow get the stock flip-key fob to work, that would be amazing. I am still really unsure if I can do that.

Down the line, I really want to upgrade the head unit. I despise the base-model one. I have to use navigation a lot since I travel/drive all over, and I am tired of having to haggle with a phone holder, charger and trying to get the Bluetooth to sync up. I preferably want the non-android stock unit (unless you want to convince me, I am open to suggestions, but as of now I'd like to go with a stock nav-style unit). I see that it isn't hard to mount (the trim pieces/hole are the same size) but I saw someone else install one but added another microphone that was horrid looking on top of the steering wheel column. I also am curious about how difficult the GPS module would be to install, and if I'll need to purchase other patch cables to connect with the existing wiring. Trying to go for the + model feel, but I really hate driving an automatic, hence why I ended up with a base with a 6-speed manual.

Any tips appreciated.

P.S. I am more worried about the keyless entry at this point! The head unit would be down the road, but I want to gather my evidence so I can budget for it.
    Buzz likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Welcome afwilz. You have the same Soul as mine. 5 years and still love it.

I like the Bluetooth in it. Automatically connects every time. If I need nav, I just say "navigate to xxx" and my Android phone automatically opens Google maps and gives me voice commands through the sound system. Easy peasy.

Did you say you paid $8,000 in cash plus $7,500 trade on the old clunker?

Congrats on your new Soul.
    Last edited by GeoSoul; 04-16-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    16 Soul base black
    I put an Android Auto head unit into my wife's 2016, Pioneer AVH-2330NEX or something like that. 2330 for sure. Works great with navigation, voice commands, and no need to fiddle with buttons.
    Engineer/techy guy. 90 CRX, 03 S2000, 08 Frontier, 09 Mazda 5, 16 Soul. All stick.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Geosoul, It was $7500 total. I only got $500 for the clunker (it was a real piece of junk!)

phunky.buddha, I really want something that looks stock, basically, I want a stock plus model soul but with a manual trans. I really don't like how the aftermarket double din radios look.
    GeoSoul and phunky.buddha like this.

Quote Originally Posted by afwilz View Post
    Geosoul, It was $7500 total. I only got $500 for the clunker (it was a real piece of junk!)

phunky.buddha, I really want something that looks stock, basically, I want a stock plus model soul but with a manual trans. I really don't like how the aftermarket double din radios look.
    There is a tread in these forums
    With a very stock looking
    Very affordable
    Chinese made
    Android head unit.

Find that thread
    the thread has pics.
    Seemed to be very
    Plug and play.

Look in
    ICE & COMMUNICATIONS
    Section

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Base 2015 AT Ti
    I've got a 2015 base with AT, and it has factory keyless entry. The cars with AT did come with some added features like cruise, but that doesn't require replacing anything except the switch cluster. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the BCM is the same for them all, it simplifies stockkeeping to make them all the same, and is probably cheaper than manufacturing 2 different units, but the feature might be disabled. (Back in the days of IBM mainframes, a given type of computer would come with various speeds, more speed meant more money. But the slow ones could be turned into fast ones by moving a single wire.) On the other hand, the shop book shows the BCM and RF receiver as one box. If yours is missing the RF receiver (could be a plug-in inside the box) that would make doing it OEM difficult, unless maybe you got a junkyard BCM that had the receiver.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    16 Soul base black
    Quote Originally Posted by afwilz View Post
    Understandable. I guess I'm just used to assuming that I'm going to go aftermarket on all car stereo hardware because the factory equipment is never worth a damn in my eyes.
    Buzz likes this.
    Engineer/techy guy. 90 CRX, 03 S2000, 08 Frontier, 09 Mazda 5, 16 Soul. All stick.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    I've got a 2015 base with AT, and it has factory keyless entry. The cars with AT did come with some added features like cruise, but that doesn't require replacing anything except the switch cluster. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the BCM is the same for them all, it simplifies stockkeeping to make them all the same, and is probably cheaper than manufacturing 2 different units, but the feature might be disabled. (Back in the days of IBM mainframes, a given type of computer would come with various speeds, more speed meant more money. But the slow ones could be turned into fast ones by moving a single wire.) On the other hand, the shop book shows the BCM and RF receiver as one box. If yours is missing the RF receiver (could be a plug-in inside the box) that would make doing it OEM difficult, unless maybe you got a junkyard BCM that had the receiver.
    I broke down and ordered the Chinese unit. I was really hoping to go OEM, but at nearly 10 times the price just to have the key cut and programmed and the hassle of having to go to a yard and yank out another BCM and put it in mine, I really don't see any purpose in wasting my time. I did find a 2016 A/T model in a junkyard in my region, so that would bring the BCM down to around $25 but it's too far from my house and just not worth me driving out there. The unit I ordered has everything I want, in particular, being able to flash the lights and sound the horn when locked. The fob looks nearly identical to other bottom level Kia fobs, my father has a 2013 Optima LX with the basic fob, and it looks almost identical to the Chinese one.

Quote Originally Posted by phunky.buddha View Post
    Understandable. I guess I'm just used to assuming that I'm going to go aftermarket on all car stereo hardware because the factory equipment is never worth a damn in my eyes.
    I appreciate your input! I just despise how the aftermarket units look, just a personal preference of mine. There is an aftermarket unit made that looks almost the exact same to the stock model with nav, but it runs on Android Lollipop, and that's horribly outdated (It's from 2014!!!). I am hoping to see if I can figure out a way to update the software, and if so, I'll maybe go for that. For now, the stock unit still works fine. I'll just have to use my phone for navigation.

Drives
    14 Optima SXL; 15 Soul Base AT
    why not just get this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has Oreo already.
    Buzz likes this.
    Want to get rid of your stock 18" wheels??? Swap them for cushy 16"? Let me know...

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)