Frequent Downshifting in Cruise Ct?

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Frequent Downshifting in Cruise Ct?

Drives
    14 White Red Zone Lim Ed

Frequent Downshifting in Cruise Ct?

I use cruise control a lot and was annoyed by the frequent downshifting when on a slight grade, often downshifting two gears, RPM's soaring. One day I put the gear shift in "paddle" shift mode (whatever its called when you pull the shifter towards you and you can manually shift up or down yourself) and found that it never shifted down more than one gear in cruise control.

Perhaps everyone knows this, but being a fairly new owner, it was news to me.
    2014 , 2.0L, Red Zone Lim. Ed. 30K
    18 Slingshot 2.4L 6K mi
    13 Accord 106K
    00 Ranger 70K

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    14 ! Black Sun & Sound/ 06 MX5
    Actually on my 2014 I don't think it downshifts at all in manual mode unless I do it myself with or without cruise control.

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    it's called sports mode, if it bothers you just drop it to 5th and set the cruise. 5th gear is 1.00:1, 6th is 0.76:1 - that's why it shifts more often.
    Buzz, Shaggy Wierdo and dynamo like this.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Elder Soul
    Drives
    2017 Soul Auto, titanium.
    I found my 2015 2.0 downshifted far more often than my 2017 1.6. Part of that is the gearing, part is mystery. But the 2.0 would downshift while on cruise at 70-75 at very slight inclines.

These are not torquemeisters. Only the turbo shows some real torque as most of us understand it.

It's just the way it is. The computer knows what it's doing. No worries!
    Buzz likes this.
    2017 Soul auto, Konig Control, BFG 225.55.16 G-Force Comp2 A/S. Winter 205.65.16 Bridgestone WS80.

Hidden Content

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    ! /2015/Fathom/Umber
    Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I use cruise control a lot and was annoyed by the frequent downshifting when on a slight grade, often downshifting two gears, RPM's soaring. One day I put the gear shift in "paddle" shift mode (whatever its called when you pull the shifter towards you and you can manually shift up or down yourself) and found that it never shifted down more than one gear in cruise control.

Perhaps everyone knows this, but being a fairly new owner, it was news to me.
    I don't think this is real related to cruise control - if you try to hold a steady speed going up an incline with the gas pedal, the same thing will happen.

Several of us have posted about this before. It is normal for this car, but it is annoying (at least to me). I drive to/from CA from MI a few times each year and have to deal with this going thru the mountains and even the rolling hills of Iowa. I often put it in manumatic mode and shift myself.

Some of this is self inflicted as I drive fast on the freeway and it's the first car I've had in a long time with under 200 hp

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Drives
    Soul Ev/2017/Gray
    My car doesn't downshift at all.

Drives
    Exclaim/2016/Blue/prem.& umb
    I put it in sport shift 6- it doesn't downshift- If it only went down to 5th it wouldn't be so aggravating but it always goes down to 4th on the slightest incline.

Drives
    14 White Red Zone Lim Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh10922 View Post
    I put it in sport shift 6- it doesn't downshift- If it only went down to 5th it wouldn't be so aggravating but it always goes down to 4th on the slightest incline.
    Exactly, even on slightest grade it will downsift at least one gear and often down to 4th. But in "sport or manumatic" (I call it paddle shift) it will hold 6th easily. Mtn driving is entirely different.
    2014 , 2.0L, Red Zone Lim. Ed. 30K
    18 Slingshot 2.4L 6K mi
    13 Accord 106K
    00 Ranger 70K

Drives
    Soul 2013+/2018 1 Million Edit
    I have a '13 + and '18 1 Million Edition. Downshifting on either has never bothered me-just glad I'm not clutching and shifting.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    2019 Soul+
    I find going at 70+ mine will shift just to fight the wind on level ground, slowing down to 65 fixes this. On hills it will do one of two things:

#1 shift into a mode where the torque converter is slipping to keep revs slightly higher
    #2 shift into 5th

If the hill is really steep it will sometimes go into fourth, but not very often.

Same applies for going down the hill with cruise active, it does not apply the brakes but puts the transmission into various modes to put additional force on the engine to slow you down.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)