Does any one really use their fog lights?

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Does any one really use their fog lights?

Junior Soul
    Drives
    Bright Silver 2017 Base AT 1.6

Does any one really use their fog lights?

We just bought a 2017 Base which does not have fog lights. I'm an Old Soul (59) and have owned cars with and without fog lights. Even when the car had them I never used them. I still think of fog lights as the yellow units on imported sports car. Are fog lights essential, useless, or somewhere in between for you. I'll admit that I never really "have to " be someplace if the weather is that bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2017 Bright Silver !
    Welcome to the forum. Regarding fog lights, read your owner's manual. They take a lot of power to operated. We were shocked when we read the manual.

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    I tend to agree with you. BUT as time & technology (and accessories) marches on these things become a must have for alot of folks.

I don't have fog or LED driving lights. I admit they do look cool though. I feel like having them on would make me feel safer (visability wise), yet I recently read where daytime driving lights (all sorts) make little to no difference in real world accident avoidance. That was a surprise to me.

We're old enough to remember when regular cars didn't have clocks, seat belts, electric windows or door locks. Now with backup cameras, nannies & near driver free controls, cars have things that aren't needed to get from point A to B. Fog lights are defiantly in that category.

It's all good, there is no going back & putting the genie back in the bottle.

Onward......

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    I have them on my Soul (also had them on my previous 2012 model), but do not use them too often. If I didn't have them, it would not be something I would go to all the trouble and expense to install them.

I found them good for really poor visibility like snow storms where high beams are of little use and the fogs fill in immediately in front of the vehicle and enhance the visibility of the low beams. Also on very dark country roads they again increase the immediate visibility.

Remember they do not work with high beams or just on there own - it only functions with the low beam setting.
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Drives
    2015 Soul+ Caribbean Blue
    Mine are on ALL the time when my lights are on, especially on the interstate. I find that folks get out of the way more for a lit up vehicle!! If you come up from behind without them folks won't move over, but with them many times they do move over. I also notice folks give no respect to my Soul so I think having the fog lights on obscures the vehicle for them. My motto when I pass folks is "You've been Soul-Rolled!!!"

This is a huge deal here in "home of the left lane camping corn chomping Nebraskan's"
    Last edited by jonbourg; 08-19-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    OldITGeek likes this.

Drives
    2010 ! Alien I, Auto
    I turned them on my 2010 Exclaim in 2010 and I have yet to turn them off!
    tampa8 likes this.
    Avital Remote Start System, Billet Fuel Door, Diode Dynamics LED's, Findway Catchall Floor Mats, Kenwood DMX7705S AM/FM Receiver with Android Auto, Kenwood Weblink & Backup Cam, "K" Emblems, Kia OEM Splash Guards, Konig Lace 16x7, LED Eyebrows, Magnaflow Exhaust, Portal Accent Trim, Puddle Lights, Sport Spoiler, SSD Roof Rails, SSD Strut Tower Brace, Takeda CAI, VG Shark Fin Antenna V2, VisionPromotions Ground Cable Kit.

Hidden Content

Drives
    Soul EX+ 2015, Sportage LX
    Ours are always on.

Drives
    14 ! Black Sun & Sound/ 06 MX5
    Always on.

Intermediate Soul
    Drives
    Base 2015 AT Ti
    I think fog lights are a great idea if you're in an environment where they're useful. A few times a year, I'll be driving dark country roads with fog and lurking deer (10 miles without seeing another car, and forest close to the road), and when I had a car with fog lights they were very helpful. Also in really dark areas where the lane markings aren't too good, they help my old eyes to keep track of where the car is in the lane.

On the other hand, while they're good for daytime running lights, that can be done other ways (and some Souls do have DRLs).

Unfortunately, most aftermarket "fog" lights it's hard to tell if they have that sharp beam cutoff or if they're more floodlights. So (since my Soul didn't come with fogs) I don't have them. 95% of my driving is in the city, where they're irrelevant.

Junior Soul
    Drives
    '16 Soul +; '06 Spectra5
    For those of you who have them always on...did you read your manual? It tells you not to do that because, as r17kia noted, they use a LOT of energy. It's not a great idea. As for functionality, I think they're largely useless and I rarely turn mine on. I was in very heavy fog one morning last week and turned them on to see what would happen. They definitely added more light down low, but it only extended a short distance, so it didn't help with overall visibility.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)