Help! I need winter tires!

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need winter tires!

Help! I need winter tires!

Hello everyone in Soul-land. I bought a Soul yesterday!!! It's the first nice car I've purchased! I am really excited to be a soul owner, but I live in a province where it snows A LOT! We had a light snow yesterday and I'm getting stuck everywhere....in situations where my POS car used to plow through. I think I need a set of really good snow tires (I currently have the stock 18'' wheels that the car came with). Does anyone have a suggestion as to which snow tires i should get? Also, can I put 15's on my car or do I have to buy 18 inch snow tires because I have a 4u? Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
    welcome to the forum, this has been covered many times, just need to use the search engine on this site. Here's a couple to start (15" with steel rims like on the base model works fine for the 4u)

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/25-soul...2-soul-4u.html

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/26-soul...ter-tires.html

also would be helpful if you could narrow down where in Canada you are located - its a big place (see my signature below)
    2.0L, leather, power-folding mirrors, cooling glove box, auto climate, smart key/push-button start, heated steering wheel

Drives
    2012+ 2.0 Auto
    My corp tire vendor recomended Hancook Optimo H727 tires for my Soul. I did some internet reading and found these tires a very good. The scored at the top in Conusmer Reports testing.

Users post rave reviews on them, say they are great for Snow traction.

Hankook Optimo H727 Tire Reviews

They are on my list of purchases coming up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2013 Soul, Base, AT, White
    That's the exact tire that came on my Soul.
    I don't know about snow, ain't seen none of that here in Florida, but for this dang Florida Sugar Sand that's as bad as any snow I ever drove in, these tires are GREAT!

For more traction, just drop off some air pressure.
    I've actually been stuck and I've dropped my tire pressure to about 20 psi, and drove away like nothing was ever wrong.

It's not always so much the tire, but how you use it.

2013 Base 1.6L White, 6-Speed AT, K&N Air Filter, Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter, HoMade Arm Rests, Kia Nose Guard

Drives
    2012+ 2.0 Auto
    You have 727's on your Soul that came with it?

The 426's are what came on everyone else's Soul and they pretty much suck. They are 35,000 mile tires that are for fairweather use only pretty much.

I bought Good Year Nordics second hand on 16's with steel wheels for cheap. They are very good in the snow.
    2010 Molten 4U Burner M/THidden Content

Drives
    2013 Soul, Base, AT, White
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwagner View Post
    You have 727's on your Soul that came with it?

The 426's are what came on everyone else's Soul and they pretty much suck. They are 35,000 mile tires that are for fairweather use only pretty much.
    Hmmmm! Maybe they are 426's, but with proper use, they give me good service.
    I use what I've been given, because I can't afford new tires, just because I might want them.

If I had money to throw away, I'd probably be driving a Buick!

Thanks for the info.

TM
    2013 Base 1.6L White, 6-Speed AT, K&N Air Filter, Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter, HoMade Arm Rests, Kia Nose Guard

Drives
    2017 Kia Soul EX
    Welcome SaskySoul...I know where u are...Saskatchewan!!. lol
    I too have a 4u with the 18" lousy in the snow.
    Walmart had a tire sale so I put 16" Marshall (good reviews on the RFD thread)with costco steelies (delivered to my house) so all in with taxes
    and installed $502. I am really happy with them , made a huge difference

Hi there this was posted by a reg on this forum. He's suggestion are as follows:

OK, ok, time for me to chime in. First, Do a search on the tire and wheel section, lots of info there. Here's a synopsis, trying to provide a balanced view:

You can run 15, 16, or 18" OE rims, and various 17" rims work very well.

What matters is
    - the wheels clear the brakes
    - the wheels fit the car (proper bolt pattern, hub bore, and offset)
    bolt pattern 5x114.3, offset between 45 and 50 (or so), hub bore 67.1mm
    other manufacturer's wheels that fit perfectly: Mazda 3,5,6,8; Hyundai, Mitsubishi
    - the tires have the proper outside diameter to keep the speedo reasonably accurate
    - the tires aren't so wide as to cause clearance problems.

Discount Tire was kind enough to post the "right" sizes that will work on the car.

Coupla general rules apply:
    - As the wheel size goes up, there is less and less sidewall to flex, and the contact patch (the "rubber meeting the road) gets shorter and wider. This causes more direct steering and better lateral response, and ultimately better lateral grip *to a point*, but the tradeoffs are less on-center "feel", less hydroplaning reistance, and poorer snow performance (all other things relatively equal).

- As the wheel size goes up, there is more and more weight further and further from the hub, giving more of a flywheel effect. Generally, larger wheels are also heavier, multiplying this effect. More unspring weight is bad (more work for the suspension, leading to a "double thunk" over expansion joints and such), and the flywheel effect negatively affects acceleration and braking.

Generally, smaller wheels and narrower tires are preferred for foul weather as they provide a relatively long, narrow contact patch, best for cutting through slush/snow/rain but poorer in lateral response due to sidewall flex. This same sidewall flex provides a comfy ride, and the relatively lighter weight helps with accel and braking.

Also generally, larger wheels (shorter sidewalls), give a shorter, wider contact patch, giving better lateral and transient response, but the ride can get choppier and the higher weight hinders suspension performance.

Note that. no matter the tire size, the contact patch is the same area if the tires are properly inflated (think of what "pounds per square inch" means...), but the contact patch is NOT the same shape.

Best tradeoff: Lightweight 16" or 17" wheels and appropriately-sized tires.

My preference: 225/45/17 or 235/45/17 for 3-season usage (alternate: 215/55/16), and for winter a 205/60/16 (16" rims) or 205/65/15 (15" rims).

Note that NONE of these are OE sizes, but ALL of these split the Outside Diameter difference between the OE 18" and 16" packages. All will work perfectly with OE ABS and traction control/stability systems.

All for now...

Hope it Helps!

Oh PS: Craigslist is a great place to find still really good used winter tires. will save you 40-50% then buying retail!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)