Erratic Idle (2011 1.6l 5spd)

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Thread: Erratic Idle (2011 1.6l 5spd)

Drives
    White 2011 1.6l 5spd Base Soul

Erratic Idle (2011 1.6l 5spd)

Hi all,

I have searched this forum for answers but I found nothing that could describe the issue I have.

So my car is manual with 145k on the clock.

It did this over month ago but the problem went away.

Over month ago:
    I would start the car in the morning or after noon it did the same. cold or hot same symptoms.
    Car would bring up the idle upto 1500 rpms and it would bring it down to 700. There is no pattern to the "adjustment" . it goes up a little or a lot at different time intervals. It would throw a check engine light and be stable at correct idle. So it was erratic and no light, Stable a correct idle with the light.
    During my drive to work (40miles) the light would turn off. That's why I never scanned the car because the light would go away.

"Today":
    I got the erratic idle but no light yet for pass 3 days. But this time even driving at 80mph I can feel the car slightly accelerate or slow down. It almost feels like you would be driving throe wind gusts. That makes me think that it should be ICM. I can check the coils for resistance, but I don't feel like taking it out if it's something else and it's raining in my area.

Thank you guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    2010 ! Alien I, Auto
    You need to get the code checked WHEN the light is on, that will give us something to start with.
    Avital Remote Start System, Billet Fuel Door, Diode Dynamics LED's, Findway Catchall Floor Mats, Kenwood DMX7705S AM/FM Receiver with Android Auto, Kenwood Weblink & Backup Cam, "K" Emblems, Kia OEM Splash Guards, Konig Lace 16x7, LED Eyebrows, Magnaflow Exhaust, Portal Accent Trim, Puddle Lights, Sport Spoiler, SSD Roof Rails, SSD Strut Tower Brace, Takeda CAI, VG Shark Fin Antenna V2, VisionPromotions Ground Cable Kit.

Hidden Content

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    With that kind of mileage I'd wonder about the fuel pump and/or filter condition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Hi, I fixed it.
    It still read P1508 when the light was off.

So I got ICM and when I was pulling my old one off. It was apparent that it was it (refer to the picture).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Erratic Idle (2011 1.6l 5spd)-img_20190623_143544904_1561317194362.jpg  

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Glad that fixed it.

P1508 Idle Air Control Valve Closing Coil Voltage High

Drives
    Yes. I figured it was the ICM since in DSM world the ecu would get capacitors leak and burn one on the traces that goes to the ICM and the car would do exactly the same thing. Sometimes the ICM gets burned out because of the ecu gets a short to higher voltage on that trace and frie the coil.

This here looks like either coil got fried (i dough it) or corrosion popped it up after developing some kind of crack for water to get in.

I will cut it open at some point to see inside.

Reason I asked is because it is a different car and it is more then 20 years difference between them. And in DSM world it was the ecu 97% of the time.

Drives
    2019 M/T base
    ICM?
    The photo is of an IACV, matching the code as indicated ny GeoSoul.
    Stock + cruise control

10. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)