2012 kia soul 1.6 oil.consumption - Page 4

1. Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums – General discussion forum for Kia Soul

Welcome to Kia Soul Owners Forums - a website dedicated to all things Kia Soul.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Soul Owners Forums today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2012 kia soul 1.6 oil.consumption

Junior Soul
    Also to anyone that doesn't know, these cars are not hard to fix. It may have looked like a lot of work but the worst we had to do was take a fender mount from the parts car and weld it in to the green car. Other than that everything was bolt on including the radiator support. And no suspension damage had been done when it was totalled.
    thewerzinator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Thanks notrubskwah, you've been a good sport through all of this and appreciate you sharing your knowledge (and perseverance) in rebuilding the Soul. From the photos, you did an amazing job.

I hope some of the tips help with your oil consumption issues.

All the best to you!
    Ceasar91706 likes this.

Drives
    Kia Soul 2013 1.6 automatic
    Went to the dealership recently for a recall involving Reflashing ECU. Just wanted to report that I talk to the mechanic and told him that I need about 2 quarts of oil between oil change intervals. And he said it was normal 😕

5. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar91706 View Post
    Went to the dealership recently for a recall involving Reflashing ECU. Just wanted to report that I talk to the mechanic and told him that I need about 2 quarts of oil between oil change intervals. And he said it was normal
    Hi Ceasar, how did you feel about what he said?

I was curious how many miles are we talking about between oil changes (or months)? How many miles on your Soul?

Cheers!

Drives
    Soul MT/2014/Titanium

How Toyota Dealt With Oil Consumtion Problem

Yes, even Toyota has oil consumption issues. This video is an up close look at what they did (I won't spoil it & tell you). The meat of the video really starts at about 3:00

Junior Soul
    Ok, so they did the computer firmware upgrade, it don't spark knock on low octane anymore, which I figured that's what it needed to fix that. But now the motor shakes a little like it's missing, no codes, no pending codes. Still haven't replaced the pcv valve yet, had a lot going on.

Drives
    Soul 2013+/2018 1 Million Edit
    And don't forget that bottle of Techron into the fuel tank.

Drives
    2013 Base 6 MT Moss Green
    Well, here's something I have noticed on these 1.6 engines: when they need oil you start hearing lifter tick. Reminds me of my Miata, which will tell you when the oil needs to be changed by the lifter tick. This morning getting gas, when I restarted I noticed some engine noise that sounded like sticky lifters. I shut down the engine and checked the oil and sure enough I was down almost too low. Went in and got a quart of oil, took almost 3/4 of the quart, and when I restarted back to nice and quiet. I guess since the crankcase capacity is so low, a quart down is more than 25% low. Must be lowered oil pressure if it gets that low, which means you have to be fairly vigilant on these engines watching the oil levels. I looked in my service manual and it appears these are solid lifters, rather than hydraulic ones, so I'm guessing the noise was probably low lubrication between the lifter and the cam lobe. Not the end of the world but not good. So if you are having oil consumption issues keep a close eye on your levels.
    Last edited by jdmartin; 06-06-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Junior Soul
    Just changed the oil in it, 3 days ago, so it's full right now. Used 5w20 Valvoline Max life, it didn't do it before the recall ecu flash. Oh well, I'm gonna get the techron, haven't used it in quite a while since I was running high octane all the time, and change the pcv.
    nick1946 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Kia Soul Forums
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)